Author Topic: Rolled Animal House one sheets?  (Read 11816 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Rolled Animal House one sheets?
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
A couple of years ago I purchased a 27" x 40 7/8" rolled one sheet from a conventional general poster shop that sold many reprints and commercial posters. It's printed on conventional non-glossy paper. 

Other than being rolled, it appears to be identical to known folded/theater-used posters being sold. The printing quality is good and it's not a cheap digital reproduction.

My bet is that all or most of the rolled Animal House posters being sold are in fact these commercial posters.  Both Heritage and Emovie have sold them.  

What do y'all think?

My commercial poster:

Close-up of my poster:

Folded poster:

Heritage rolled poster sold:

Emovie rolled:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:44:39 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Rolled Animal House one sheets?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
Nice puzzle Mel,
Everyone here knows I`m no expert(especially 1-sheets),but would I be right in guessing that an original example would not have
"One-sheet-Animal House"B" at the bottom?

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
Even the presumably original folded versions have the following in the lower right:  ONE SHEET "ANIMAL HOUSE" "B"

Here is Dave's printers proof:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:02:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
Even the presumably original folded versions have the following in the lower right:  ONE SHEET "ANIMAL HOUSE" "B"

Damn,must try harder...

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
MoviePoster.com has this 27x41 reprint for sale - 41" reprints just not common....

Someone raised the same Q on MOPO but never got an answer:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:30:19 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »
Its hard to tell for me..none of the images provided match in contrast...some yellows appear more vibrant in the various pics,it would be easier if i could see all the posters photographed in the same lighting conditions.

Stew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
FWIW, I have a folded 1 sheet in theater used condition.  Just pulled it out, and the markings are identical.

The copyright under the ratings box seems just slightly fuzzy on my copy.  Also the cartoon image seems more saturated and somewhat darker, about the same as Dave's printers proof.
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
FWIW, I have a folded 1 sheet in theater used condition.  Just pulled it out, and the markings are identical.

The copyright under the ratings box seems just slightly fuzzy on my copy.  Also the cartoon image seems more saturated and somewhat darker, about the same as Dave's printers proof.

What's the exact size of yours?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »
What's the exact size of yours?

26 15/16 x 40 7/8, but...

Mine has been stored folded for some time.  I did my best to stretch it out, but there could be another 1/16 in there.
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
I have a rolled one as well and this title has been on the suspicious list for several years now, another I would buy folded on now. I have no info just too many rolled ones have come to market.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:03:37 PM »
Toga! Toga! Toga!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »
I pulled out my rare advance AH and it also measures 26 7/8 x 40 7/8 but it is printed on smooth typical movie poster paper and has significant acid tanning.   The commercial "STYLE B" is minty white and printed on acid-free, rougher, thicker paper.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:46:34 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:09:04 AM »
For once I'm inclined to agree with Mell.. ;)     Looking at the pics, I think the rolled one is a commercial poster.

There was a lot of them kicking about even in this country back in the late 70's early 80's, with the boom in Home
video. Lots of companies were producing repro film posters as demand was high. A common one over here was a
U.S. 1Sht 80's release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They measure as near as dam it, but the paper is not quite
the same; And I've lost count how many 1Sht Nightmare on Elm St repros I've seen....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
I kinda hate to bring this up, but if the hobby decides that rolled copies are bogus, then someone holding a newly discredited commercial reprint simply needs to fold it to make it legitimate again.  WE need something better to distinguish them, or we need to let it go.
-Jay-

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
I have folded and rolled examples of this poster and they are identical in every respect.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
As discussed in other threads, it's pretty clear that the studios have occasionally printed and sold certain posters (including Blade Runner, Thing, Back To The Future, Pulp Fiction etc.) in bulk specifically to movie poster dealers.  Those are printed on typical movie poster paper and are indistinguishable from studio originals, so - I guess - for all intents and purposes they are "originals."

This one is different. I suspect it was sold to general commercial poster stores (where I found mine for sale for $10).   Any experienced collector on this board would instantly suspect it's a commercial poster because the paper is so different and it is minty white.  Usually these kind of posters are 24x36 but this one just happens to be 41".

So IMHO it's an anomaly and not a "cause for alarm."

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:15:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
I think you would be surprised how many were a full 41x27, and were sold through commercial outlets.

Mark, is the paper quality the same, thickness, texture, etc?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
As discussed in other threads, it's pretty clear that the studios have occasionally printed and sold certain posters (including Blade Runner, Thing, Back To The Future, Pulp Fiction etc.) in bulk specifically to movie poster dealers.  Those are printed on typical movie poster paper and are indistinguishable from studio originals, so - I guess - for all intents and purposes they are "originals."

That is a pretty bold statement Mel, and one that can't be verified as far as I know.  Todd at MPGrading did a fiber analysis on the full-sized reprints for Blade Runner (which has crushed shadow detail), Pulp Fiction (which has slightly different colors and paper) and Thing (not sure how to identify this one yet, or even which style was copied) and they all came from the same paper stock -- which means they were printed in the 90s after PFs release.  I highly doubt these were studio printings as there were different studios involved. 

If you are talking about pre-90s extra stock being printed and sold commercially with the studios blessing... I'd want to hear some realistic proof -- from someone other than tloce.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
How frustrating...

Through the Stones

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
Feeling a little surely but that is a nice uncut one sheet!   ;D

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Rolled Animal House one sheets?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
...Mark, is the paper quality the same, thickness, texture, etc?

Yes, identical.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
That is a pretty bold statement Mel, and one that can't be verified as far as I know.  Todd at MPGrading did a fiber analysis on the full-sized reprints for Blade Runner (which has crushed shadow detail), Pulp Fiction (which has slightly different colors and paper) and Thing (not sure how to identify this one yet, or even which style was copied) and they all came from the same paper stock -- which means they were printed in the 90s after PFs release.  I highly doubt these were studio printings as there were different studios involved.  

If you are talking about pre-90s extra stock being printed and sold commercially with the studios blessing... I'd want to hear some realistic proof -- from someone other than tloce.

I'm primarily talking about the "endless" perfect rolled posters (BTTF, Blade, Dune, Fast Times, Thing, 1941, Pulp Fiction) that the MoviePosterZone brothers are selling. A reputable dealer told me they have "lifetime" supplies of these posters and they obtained directly from the original printers (or studios).  Their Blade Runners, for example, clearly were printed from the original printing plates as the 30x40 since they have the same printing defects (the light "ORIGINAL").  Dan R. thinks the MPZ posters are generally legit.

Egbert also claims Miramax sold 10,000 copies of Pulp Fiction directly to dealers, which were resold and split up among various dealers.  Obviously he has a poor reputation in the hobby but he did name his specific contacts at Miramax, plus there are endless quantities of these for sale from multiple dealers,  so I tend to credit it.

Locust ain't talking to me and I wouldn't believe him anyway since I have two of his low-quality digital reprints.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:26:57 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
Didn't Rich buy up the Miramax warehouse after they were bought out?  If that is what Egbert is talking about I would hardly call that a direct-to-dealer-sale. More like a fire sale...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Didn't Rich buy up the Miramax warehouse after they were bought out?  If that is what Egbert is talking about I would hardly call that a direct-to-dealer-sale. More like a fire sale...

You'll have to ask Rich yourself about that.  Publicly he's said he bought a warehouse associated with Miramax. 

But in any event the 10,000 PF poster deal Egbert describes is entirely different.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
It sold for $477, so let's hope it's the real deal....