Author Topic: Rolled Animal House one sheets?  (Read 12152 times)

Bruce

Re: Rolled Animal House one sheets?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
It sold for $477, so let's hope it's the real deal....

It is we at eMoviePoster.com who take ALL the risk! If it can ever be shown to be a repro, we will refund the entire amount,

I just had a case where I tracked down a one-sheet that was not from the first release, but from an unmarked early re-release a few years later.

I auctioned it NINE years ago for $650, and I e-mailed the buyer offering a full refund!

Find me ANY other auctioneer who gives refunds nine years later, or who spends lots of time tracking down past buyers!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
It is we at eMoviePoster.com who take ALL the risk! If it can ever be shown to be a repro, we will refund the entire amount,

I just had a case where I tracked down a one-sheet that was not from the first release, but from an unmarked early re-release a few years later.

I auctioned it NINE years ago for $650, and I e-mailed the buyer offering a full refund!

Find me ANY other auctioneer who gives refunds nine years later, or who spends lots of time tracking down past buyers!

Why don't you just inspect it yourself?  If it's on typical 1970s thin/glossy movie poster paper with acid tanning, it's the real deal.  If it's on the minty-white rougher paper, it's probably one of the commercial posters.  Otherwise, anybody can just order the $20 41" commercial poster from movieposter.com, consign it to you, and pick up $$$.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:04:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
Why don't you just inspect it yourself?  If it's on typical 1970s thin/glossy movie poster paper with acid tanning, it's the real deal.  If it's on the minty-white rougher paper, it's probably one of the commercial posters.  Otherwise, anybody can just order the $20 commercial poster from movieposter.com, consign it to you, and pick up $$$.
Bruce really has the time to individually inspect every poster passing thru his website? C`mon Mel get a grip.

Stew
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:04:57 PM by stewart boyle »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Bruce really has the time to individually inspect every poster passing thru his website? C`mon Mel get a grip.

Stew

This one sold for $477, it's hardly asking too much to check it out. 

Heritage last week sold a bootleg Star Wars for $200 and retroactively canceled it after confirming it was a bootleg, so it's no big deal.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »

Heritage last week sold a bootleg Star Wars for $200 and retroactively canceled it after confirming it was a bootleg, so it's no big deal.
Man that is so sad....You have no idea how hard it would be for a website owner to try to figure out you random question..

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Man that is so sad....You have no idea how hard it would be for a website owner to try to figure out you random question..

Stew

What?

It was advertised as "An Original Vintage Theater-Used Unfolded Style B One-Sheet Movie Poster."

It is a perfect rolled copy that is definitely not "Theater-Used" and very possibly is a low-value commercial poster.

It sold for $477.

It would take less than 10 seconds to take a second look and figure out if it is original.

It is not a "big deal" or "hard" to check it out and doing so would be absolutely appropriate under these circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:26:44 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »

Unfortunately, Heritage seems to do this a lot.  And it's usually only after collectors notify them!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:41:15 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Unfortunately, Heritage seemed to do this a lot.  And it's usually only after collectors notify them!

+1

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
Mel,you seem to set a question for everyone that you already know the answer to
Just my thought.

Stew

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »

I have not seen in person one of these rolled Animal House one sheets that is on a different kind of paper. I have seen several that are on the "right" kind. However, even if it is on a different kind of paper I wouldn't be so quick to immediately classify it as a reprint/commercial poster. Maybe it is just a different printing. We all know that posters from that era were often printed at more than one location. If it is a full size 27x41 (or within 1/8" of that), in my opinion it stands a better chance of being authentic than it does of being a reprint. Most (not all) reprints are usually significantly undersized.

I have probably had about 10 or so rolled ones over the years. All have been on the same kind of paper. Never seen one that felt different or stood out.

That being said.....If the print QUALITY is different, and if the paper is super minty white and it smells funny... then I would be very suspicious.

I remember being at the hollywood collectors show several years ago and this lady dealer had a "the sting" one sheet, flat never folded shrink wrapped on foam core for sale. Even though it was shrink wrapped I could tell it wasn't the right kind of paper. I took out my tape measure and it was 27x40. She got very angry with me when I politely suggested it was a reprint.

We have posters shipped to us all the time. Every now and then we will get in something that just doesn't feel or look right. It is almost always very easy to tell if something is a reprint.

As for the whole paper test thing......I think it is flawed. Don't get me wrong. MPGrading is great and Todd Spoor is doing great things for the hobby, I just do not think their scientific tests are 100% accurate.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
Mel,you seem to set a question for everyone that you already know the answer to
Just my thought.

Stew

Got an email from Emovie saying they think it's not an original.  So Stewie that means when you and I meet, I get the first swing ;)

That being said.....If the print QUALITY is different, and if the paper is super minty white and it smells funny... then I would be very suspicious.

You would instantly know this one is a repro just by the minty white and very unusual paper type.  I've got 1000+ posters and none of them are like this.  Like I said, it's just like a generic 24x36 but happens to be 41".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:24:08 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
It is on a different sort of paper that is glossier on the back than regular one-sheets of that period.

As always, I err on the side of caution and I feel it is best to cancel it.

I will ask the consignor (someone who was getting rolled one-sheets in the 1970s and 1980s) what he knows about it. He may well know its origins.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
Got an email from Emovie saying they think it's not an original.  So Stewie that means when you and I meet, I get the first swing ;)

laugh1  Sorry Stew, the pic is funny...
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Ok class, let's play "Where's Waldo"?  I have spotted at least clear difference between my commercial poster (right) and Dave's printer's proof (left).  (I'm not talking about any kind of coloration difference, the commercial does seem yellower, or a general sharpness difference.)

Who can spot it?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:11:24 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
Fair enough Mel, :)
Just not the teeth..I need them for Haggis munching.

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

laugh1  Sorry Stew, the pic is funny...

It is Paul,it is... ;D

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
Tough to spot but it's very clear in person.  In the upper left, the "trail" from the falling tire is barely visible on the commercial reprint.  Looks like somebody tried to erase it.

It is clearly visible on Dave's printer's proof.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:23:47 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
The colours on your commercial poster are washed out..why would this tire trail not suffer the same fate?

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »
Folded poster - trail clearly prominent:

My poster (no flash) - trail very faint:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
Added an authentication based on the available info here:

www.moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Animal_House.html

All constructive comments welcome. All witticisms from Chris, GIFs from Brude, and threats of fisticuffs from Stewie are unwelcome :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:03:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Damn no witticisms?!  What am I supposed to do now?
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »
Good work, Mel.  thumbup

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:41 AM »
yea, that's one of Chris's special powers... :D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
Good job, Mel.  Yeah, my poster has the trail fairly well defined.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
I still have trouble trying to understand, Why this poster goes for this price...?  anyone?