Author Topic: Minty white ET?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Minty white ET?
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
I was taking pics of my recent acquisitions and noticed something odd between 2 ET 1-sheets. Here are the versions:
 - top measures 27 1/8 x 41
 - bottom measures 27 x 41

Notice how the top version looks blue, while the bottom looks more purple. I first noticed this color difference with the logo in the center of the poster and then the credits:

After a quick 'wtf?', I decided to focus on the paper. The top one has that thin, almost see-thru quality, while the bottom one is definitely heavier/thicker. On the border I noticed that the top poster has that aged, slightly tan look, while the bottom one was white. It was difficult to capture, but if you unfocus your eyes slightly you can tell.

I then compared the back sides and the top poster was matte / had no shine, while the bottom poster had a shine. I had an Aliens 1-sheet underneath these and looked at its back and it also had a shine. (The bottom poster and the Aliens poster seemed to have the same type of paper). So then I decided to go all out and pull out the loupe (which awesomely worked!).

Notice the difference in the print pattern.

So... am I crazy? Sure. Did I go overboard? Perhaps. But the question remains - are there machine folded minty whites out there of this title and do I have one? Or were there just multiple versions of this poster printed on various types of paper stock and different inks? Any help would be appreciated.

PS - This is what I do when I have a day off and the wife has to work. Sad, no? :P  But let me tell you, it was fun to do. thumbup
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Minty white ET?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
2 versions were printed, both measuring 27x41  ;):

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
Cool, thanks Erik. I knew there were multiple versions of the poster, just wasn't sure about the different colors and paper stocks.
I was just wanting copies of each type with the different NSS blurb / info, not realizing there was more to them. Woot, bonus! thumbup
Thanks!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
Awesome that you have both.  thumbup

I think the slight color variations, too, make them more unique from each other, rather than were they just to have the NSS layout differences and the one lacking the GAU logo.

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
Totally agree. Only downside is that I now need 2 frames. :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
Totally agree. Only downside is that I now need 2 frames. :P

Or, Mike, how about this.. one frame, UV plexi on BOTH sides, a piece of acid free foam core in the middle and each poster facing outward. Then, when you want, or grow tired of looking at one, just turn the frame over and view the other style.   qip

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I read the first 5 words and I knew where you were going with it. :D
That is a great idea. And not just in this case, but in general. I'm guessing how to hand it is the catch.
Where to start with the frames research? I think people like Hollywood Poster Frames and Spotlight Displays, no?
I need to stop in the materials forum and start reading up. I have more posters than I can hang, so I'm thinking that acid-free foam core and some bags of some sort would also be necessary.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
At one time I collected all the diff printings 1982 release...think there were 3-4 if memory serves me correct...just slight differences in printing marks...when in doubt check other titles from the same distributor and other titles from other studios..but same year...cheers

d
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
Thanks, Dan!
By differences in printing marks do you mean something like how the bottom left corner text is slightly offset between the two in this example?
And when comparing to other titles, are you looking for paper stock? Ink and print method?
Thanks.

PS - It was actually from reading your stuff way back when (when I was starting out) that I learned there were different versions of the same artwork (NSS, studio, etc), so thanks! Gotta collect 'em all! :D

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
Correct on all accounts.
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
Great, thanks for the info!