Author Topic: Revenge of the Jedi poster  (Read 3901 times)

Juli

Revenge of the Jedi poster
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
I have the opportunity to buy a Revenge of the Jedi one sheet (rolled) poster for $50 but I think it has a very good chance of being a reprint/fake. Can someone tell me some ways to identify if the poster is a reprint/fake? What to look for and such?

Thanks

~ Juli

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Revenge of the Jedi poster
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:42:07 AM »
Hey, Juli.  Mel has a page on his new site here:
http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Revenge_of_the_Jedi.html

as does Dave at Cinemasterpieces:
http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/cinestarwars.htm#revenge

Good luck, but be real careful.  wynk

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
Like Ted said, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Juli

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
Thanks. This is a great help.

~ Juli

Juli

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
Looks like the guy selling the poster never responded to my e-mail. Hmm

~ Juli

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
Emovie is selling a folded "dated" Revenge poster today that is 26 7/8" x 40 7/8", significantly shorter than the usual reported measurements (27 1/8" x 41 1/16" for the dated version).  

I know they've checked around and must be satisfied that it's an orig - and it looks theater-used - but I personally wouldn't touch a short version.  

What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:41:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
We asked the top experts and they said they feel it is fine.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Bruce, did you ever end up talking to Vilmur?  I gave Phil his email address.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 03:56:28 PM »
I'm wondering if some (or maybe all?) FOLDED ROTJ "dated" posters are shorter than the ROLLED "dated" posters?

Is it possible the folding process shortened them? Or they were printed at different times? Or just normal printing variations?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:01:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
I don't know.  I own 5 Revenge of the Jedi posters, 2 rolled dated, 1 folded dated, 1 folded undated and 1 rolled undated.  They are buried somewhere, so out of reach, but the one thing I know for sure is that the undated version is slightly smaller than the dated one.  I never noticed a difference in size among the dated ones, folded or unfolded, but I could be wrong.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »
The undated version is definitely smaller and usually reported as 26 7/8" x 40 13/16".

I remembered and tracked down this rolled "dated" sale on Ebay last month.  The seller bought his directly from the fan club and has the tube to prove it. He reported the size as 27 1/4" x 41."

Another seller currently selling another rolled "dated" ROTJ directly from the fan club reports his as 27 1/4" as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:15:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Pete Vilmur was one of those who said he thought it was surely fine, and that there was a size variance.

We emailed Steve Sansweet, but he has not replied as of yet, I looked at the poster in person, and paper and print quality seem spot on.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
If Pete says yes, then that's all I need.

T
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Steve replied too, and he completely agrees with Steve that there WAS size variation, and since the poster checks in every other way, it will be listed.