Author Topic: Steven Spielberg Posters  (Read 57781 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Steven Spielberg Posters
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »
I grew up watching his movies, came to America following his advice, worked a few feet away from his office... so it only made sense that I would collect posters from the movies he directed and produced.

Now, I'm at the point where I pretty much have everything I want on the guy, give or take a few pieces (some of them I've only seen in picture and don't even know if they exist).  

So if you see something I'm missing, please email me.  I'm not interested in buying a design I already have (Indy 3 had the same design all around the world).  The latest posters are at the top, and it goes down in time.

http://www.eatbrie.com/SS.html

Thierry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:45:10 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Steven Spielberg collection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »
The sheer volume on display there Thierry is very impressive.
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
Thanks, I guess (I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed).

I'm a completist (is this a word?), so as soon as I started, I couldn't stop.  It became a game.  A friend of mine recently showed it to SS and he didn't even know some of these posters existed.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
That reminds me...i think i have a few for your collection...definately a cape fear you're lacking and a couple for Sugarland express...I think...this weekend if I get a chance...
Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »
Ha, Ves, I knew this thread would be good for me!
My Personal Collection

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
That's damn impressive

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »
Hey T.,

Massive stuff there. So much to choose from. If I had to choose, my favorite is probably the ET bike/moon along with a majority of the ET international versions you have and right behind that would be the olympic Gremlins posters.

What is your favorite Spielberg poster you have in your collection?

Cj

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
T needs to publish a book.  I like the new Clint Eastwood poster book that came out, but Thierry knows he can do better.  What a great thing it would be to see his collection in one volume.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
What is your favorite Spielberg poster you have in your collection?

Cj

I don't know.  Probably this one.

My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
What were the hardest ones to find?  The Gremlins?

guest8

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
That book thing is actually a good idea... Not his whole collection but parts of it like this one .. Make some calls and see if any publishers would be interested .. and from there is just taking pictures !! :) Could be a gold mine !! Who knows it may even make all the money back that you spent on the posters .... maybe .. :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »
That book thing is actually a good idea... Not his whole collection but parts of it like this one .. Make some calls and see if any publishers would be interested .. and from there is just taking pictures !! :) Could be a gold mine !! Who knows it may even make all the money back that you spent on the posters .... maybe .. :P

It's not a bad idea.  I know I could get Spielberg to write something.  I'm still missing a few pieces, though.  But I'm thinking about it.
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
What were the hardest ones to find?  The Gremlins?

I found the Gremlins a long time ago.  What was difficult was to get the owner to sell them to me.  He was really attached to them, but in the end, it all came down to money.  Here's the story I wrote on MPF a while back...

Now for the funny story... I don't know the guy, he could live in Turkistan for all I know. So I buy the posters. I live in L.A., I give him my address, and he sends the posters. A few days later, I contact him, ask him if he mailed the posters. He answers that he did, and I check the USPS site to see when I shall expect them. Then I see Glendale written on the USPS link. Shit, I think, he's sending them to my old address (I used to work at DreamWorks, which is in Glendale.) So I email him, and he says: "No, Glendale is where I sent the posters from." Shit again, I say, you could have given them to my wife, who works at DreamWorks. So he answers, and I quote: "What? Really? That's where I work!!!" Turns out he works a building apart from my wife's. Yet, I had been on his ass for 2 years. Small world, hey?

Now regarding your question, I'd say the Swedish Duel, Jaws Thai, Turkish CE3K, Polish E.T. and the three US Gremlins.

T.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:45:28 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »
Hey Thierry, have you ever found any posters for Band of Brothers or Taken?

Also, you are probably aware of this already, but there was a Rolling Roadshow print for CE3K by Jay Ryan in 2005.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
I'm not a fan of Jay Ryan.  In fact, I passed on all his posters.  But please humor me, what does CE3K look like?

Re: TV - I don't collect TV or video posters.

T.
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
You know that Ferris poster you have is Jay Ryan right?  Anyway, here is the CE3K print.

Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Yes, you're right.  I didn't realize.  Well, I do like Ferris Bueller, but I really hate everything else, including that CE3K poster.  So much could have been done with this movie.  What is THAT?

Thierry
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 04:28:58 AM »
I agree with you Thierry.  I am not a huge fan of Jay Ryan's work most of the time.  It is too bland for me.  I have his 2001 and No Country for Old Men.  Ferris would be next on the list, but IMO, its still not great.  And I have avoided it based on the price it goes for now.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
Hey Thierry, have you considered renting a space to display your great stuff?  A guy in my apartment complex rents the apartment next to his JUST to display his art collection.  I guess he pays $1500ish a month for the extra apartment. Not cheap obviously, but it's worth it to him.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Hey Thierry, have you considered renting a space to display your great stuff?  A guy in my apartment complex rents the apartment next to his JUST to display his art collection.  I guess he pays $1500ish a month for the extra apartment. Not cheap obviously, but it's worth it to him.

How many more posters could you buy with that $1500 each month. Or save it for 6 months and get a really kick ass piece that is rare and worth some coin.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
How many more posters could you buy with that $1500 each month. Or save it for 6 months and get a really kick ass piece that is rare and worth some coin.

He could easily finance it just by selling some of his extra posters and reducing his monthly poster budget.

Throw in 50 frames for $2000, add a pool table, foosball table, and poker table and you've got an "entertainment" crib.  He could even charge admission to finance it - "the Steven Spielberg poster museum."

Just a thought...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »

What's his "art collection"?
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:16 PM »
someone withy too much money I suspect, good luck, but farq thats crazy, unless he needs a place to sleep or hang out when his wife is mad at him. and for that $ id hope she is mad at him often.
Put em on you walls.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »
What's his "art collection"?

I'm not sure exactly what he collects - I think he mentioned some sculpture.  I've been meaning to go see it for a while - I'll have to invite myself up there.  He's up on the top floor, with all the other fancy schmancy DC people - ambassadors, etc.  I'll try to take some pics, although I'm not sure he'll allow that.  I think he does have some bucks, has a second home in Florida (might be there now, in fact, with all the other "snowbirds.")

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure he won't allow you to take pictures and put them on a public forum  ;)  Most people who collect expensive stuff tend to hide it, for multiple reasons, #1 being Uncle Sam.  Just wondering, that's all.  I worked with Seinfeld for a little while, and I went to his hangar at the Santa Monica Airport.  He owns about thirty cars, a lot of Porsches, most of them #1 to come out of the factory.  Although he lives in the Hampton and owns a house in Malibu, when he comes over here and his wife stays back East, he sleeps in the hangar, with his cars.  So I'm not at all surprised a guy would rent an entire apartment to exhibit his sculptures.  The reverse is also true.  I know an old couple in L.A. who owns Matisses, Renoirs and Delacroix, and live in a tiny little apartment, in a gated community.  One of their pieces could buy the whole building.

T
My Personal Collection