Author Topic: Pawn Stars movie poster  (Read 63692 times)

Bruce

Pawn Stars movie poster
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
I just watched an episode of Pawn Stars where Cory buys a Bullitt Italian one-panel movie poster. The poster looks to be in really nice shape (my very good to fine, or at least very good), and he runs it down because he says it shouldn't have folds! He ends up getting it for $200, which is not too bad, but it is high retail, considering we have auctioned it eight times and it has never gone that high (see http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/BULLITT/mode/0/country/Italian/type/Italian%25201p/archive.html).

They should have called in Steve Olson, a major dealer who has appeared on their show (they could have introduced him as one of their buddies) to get some expert poster advice!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Pawn Stars movie poster
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Maybe being in Sin City they know they can score a premium for something so iconic?

OR they don't really care because it's a TV show and they are going for entertainment value...
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
Yea, I saw that last night.  I thought the Bullitt posters went for a lot more, then I looked at your past auctions and realized not that one! That's why you have to do your research.  But for those guys paying $50-100 over market is nothing, it's pennies, besides he was going to give it to Rick (whose a big McQueen fan, so he wasn't going to resell it).  I read somewhere Chum Lee makes $25,000 an episode, can't imagine what Corey and Rick make.  The Old Man makes like $10,000 an episode and he just sits around complaining!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:23:01 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
There is another episode where they purchase several "pawn shop themed" posters.  A few were really nice...

We may have discussed that episode in another thread?
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
There is another episode where they purchase several "pawn shop themed" posters.  A few were really nice...

We may have discussed that episode in another thread?

yes that was the episode Steve was in.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
Dosen't Rich live near them, it would be good if they called him in... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
Dosen't Rich live near them, it would be good if they called him in... ;)
I can't be bothered with their foolishness.
first of all, you need to stand on line to get in the place.. screw that crap. second, if any of you think "Reality TV" is "real"... well.. you fellas need to get "real"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
It's probably all staged, just like Storage Wars:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/storage-wars-fake-lawsuit_n_2279176.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/A_E.pdf

Former "Storage Wars" star Dave Hester is suing A&E and alleging that significant aspects of hit reality show are fake, Deadline reports.

According to the lawsuit obtained by Deadline, Hester claims that "Storage Wars" producers plant expensive items -- such as a BMW, or a newspaper announcing Elvis' death -- in storage lockers that its stars are supposed to be blindly bidding on.

“['Storage Wars'] regularly 'salts' the storage lockers that are the subject of the auctions portrayed on the Series with valuable or unusual items to add dramatic effect, even going so far as to stage entire storage units," the suit reads.

Hester claims that he was fired from the show for complaining about the shady practice, and is seeking $3.5 million in damages.

Dan Dotson, a representative of the show's auction company, refuted the allegations to TMZ, claiming that all storage units featured on the show are sealed before auction and are therefore not susceptible to tampering. "We only sell legitimate units on Storage Wars. Every unit goes through a 64-day legal process and no one has access to units prior to auction,” Dotson said.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:20:41 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »
Yeah, I saw that episode as well.  He said "well, there are some condition issues.  there are folds, and this should have been rolled."  Apparently, they know next to nothing about movie paper because, as we all know, a never folded Bullitt Italian 1P probably does not exist. 

Not the first time I have seen them shine their ass trying to act like experts.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »
still, would be nice to see local boy Rich go in and tell them how it is... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »
as we all know, a never folded Bullitt Italian 1P probably does not exist

I've never seen a legitimately rolled vintage Italian poster of any film, they all appear to have been folded at some point in time...  The guy obviously wanted to just be on TV, of all places to try and sell a vintage movie poster a pawn shop is like the last place I'd go, but it worked out for him I guess, he got on TV and got more money than they normally sell for.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:41 AM »
beats american pickers though, the taller skinnier one needs to be smacked in the face with a pick axe.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
What i don't get about these programs is that by showing how 'profitable' running a pawn shop or picking through endless house full of stuff is, aren't these guys doing themselves out of business? I know they get paid a lot of money for letting the cameras in but in the end they are showing people how it's done.

Also why is it the same four or five people bidding in storage wars? They must have security telling other wannabe bidders to fuck off otherwise there would be 500 people there bidding.

And has no one heard of selling online and getting closer to the retail value of their items?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
The few times I have watched it, I decided it was a forum for bragging rights for collectors.  A lot of stuff shows up there that would never be sold to a pawn shop.  Like movie posters sold by a known hobbyist, or that Ford Model A Panel truck.  Many better places to sell that stuff that will get you fair market value.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
people who need money, especially here in Las Vegas, take what they can as fast as they can get it.
Typically, most people who go to a Pawn shop out here want money "right at this minute" fro anything from rent and electricity to just plain gambling money. I've never sold anything in a Pawn shop and don't believe I ever made a pruchase in one though I have sometimes gone into Super Pawn looking for tools, or my stolen laptop a few years back. Usually what they are asking for stuff is more than what you can buy it for new, but that isn't how they make money. They make money on all the people who come in week after week paying them 5% or 10% on the loan, until they have paid so much that the item they pawned is no longer of any value. I had a Succubus.. I mean a girlfriend, who sold some of my shit to Super Pawn years ago (some silver coins and jewelry). That dumb bitch would have sold her soul to the devil for booze, pills and gambling. The pawn shops of NYC are veritable Teddy bears compared to Nevada

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
beats american pickers though, the taller skinnier one needs to be smacked in the face with a pick axe.

Nah - you gotta watch that show more often Ari - it will grow on you! (and not like a cancer)
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Pawn Stars is heavily staged and scripted.

If you've ever actually been to the store (I personally haven't, but spoken to two friends who have and there are numerous recordings of a walk-thru during "normal" business hours), it's completely different then what you see on the show. First, 90% of the store is filled with Pawn Stars Show Memorabilia. Things like t-shirts, bobble heads, those silver coins with the Old Man's face on them, etc. They have a bunch of things you see in the show, but rarely actually sell them for the inflated costs. The store itself is usually PACKED full of people, where you can barely even walk around, let alone see anything. The principle characters are almost never there. One friend saw Chumley, but he was only there to sign autographs. And they don't really buy anything, at least from 'normal people'. There is a good video of someone taking in some very expensive and rare item, only to be summarily dismissed by one of the staff with some generic "sorry, not interested, we're not buying things right now" line.

Another friend who was in Las Vegas actually ran into one of the "sellers" on the show at a bar. He was some musician who came in to sell his guitar. My friend spoke to him and said he was paid by the producers and everything was scripted - he never actually sold anything.

We watch the show and enjoy it, but mostly for the limited history information on some items and entertainment value. But the transactions are not based on reality.

If you ever watch Hardcore Pawn, that's certainly more like your typical pawn store as far as the clientèle, merchandise, etc. However that too is also completely staged with fabricated stories, people, etc. They also screw up in the editing room and give out way too much confidential information in some of the clips if you pause and zoom in. Things like people's home phone numbers and office extensions. Hell, one guy's social security number and address were on the screen for a split second before they blurred it out.

In any case, you need to take any of these reality shows with a huge grain of salt.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Enki, your post is only partially true and considerably enhanced.
They do indeed do Pawn there and every morning people are lined up outside waiting fo rthem to open so that they can sell. Pawn is their #1 business.

Second, the store will never ever be so full of people that you can't walk around - they meter the number of people who are there at any time and absolutely do not let the store get crowded. The majority of the store is indeed full of pawn, but yes, they do have Pawn Star merchandise all over the place as well. Pawn takes up most of the store's space.

Finally, the boys are almost always there, but they're in the back and don't deal with the daily flotsam that walks in.

Just the facts

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
The only reality TV I watch are wildlife documentaries.
Humans are just too silly and boring.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
The only reality TV I watch are wildlife documentaries.
Humans are just too silly stupid and boring.

corrected that for you
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:11:59 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
Nah - you gotta watch that show more often Ari - it will grow on you! (and not like a cancer)

No, the reverse, I liked it at first, but the more I saw that dickhead wanking on about himself and how excited he is and, I dunno, I find him irritating, the chubby one needs his own show, he is watchable.

Operation repo is more mu speed, bloody hilarious (and yes I know it's fake)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
No, the reverse, I liked it at first, but the more I saw that dickhead wanking on about himself and how excited he is and, I dunno, I find him irritating, the chubby one needs his own show, he is watchable.

Operation repo is more mu speed, bloody hilarious (and yes I know it's fake)

He just needs an Aussie accent.

Please do not even attempt to watch Canadian Pickers - I hate both of them and they really do a disservice to us Canucks who are not annoying dweebs...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
Haha, I have seen one from Canada I think, can't remember if that's what it was called. Two blokes with beards, both jokers. I dunno. My strange addiction and hoarders are the ones I do like.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Enki, your post is only partially true and considerably enhanced.
They do indeed do Pawn there and every morning people are lined up outside waiting fo rthem to open so that they can sell. Pawn is their #1 business.

Second, the store will never ever be so full of people that you can't walk around - they meter the number of people who are there at any time and absolutely do not let the store get crowded. The majority of the store is indeed full of pawn, but yes, they do have Pawn Star merchandise all over the place as well. Pawn takes up most of the store's space.

Finally, the boys are almost always there, but they're in the back and don't deal with the daily flotsam that walks in.

Just the facts

I don't know about that being "the facts"...

And both of my friends stories validated what was in those videos. As you can see, most of the items on the shelves are show related. Outside of things on the walls, recognizable from the show, the majority of their sales are for tourists wanting to take home a souvenir of the show/store. And that video shows a very crowded store to me.

In any case, my point was that the majority of the show is all scripted and staged.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

I like the show. The show is actually by Mike Wolfe (the tall skinny one), his idea, he took it to TV and I think he is a producer too.
David