Author Topic: Your Most Prized Poster  (Read 55826 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: your most prized poster
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
I do love Fearless Vampire killers, it's a great film one of my top 10 all time films. So an excellent choice poster.

"In August Manson sent Atkins, "Tex" Watson, Patricia Krenwinkel, and Linda Kasabian to the home of Sharon Tate. They entered the home and rounded up the eight-month-pregnant Tate and all of her guests. In a killing frenzy, Tate and the rest were butchered to death and the word "Pig" was written in Tate's blood on the front door of the home."

Tate's fate certainly gives the Fearless Vampire poster an added macabre dimension.  In more psychological ways than can ever be told, Polanski's ongoing legal pains are tightly linked to the murder.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »
how many people here, like myself, are old enough to remember the Manson murders  and everything else that was going on at the time

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
Far too young, thankfully

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
A friend of mine, who happens to be a well known French photographer, is putting a book on famous murder/death scenes.  Last year, we went to Marilyn's house on 5th Helena (here in L.A.), O.J.'s house on Bundy Dr. and we tried to find the Manson/Tate murder scene.  Unfortunately, the houses on Cielo Dr. have been moved around, the numbers have been changed, and there is no way to know for sure anymore.  They did it on purpose at the time of the murders to avoid an outflow of onlookers.

T

PS: Rich, I don't think I was walking yet  ::).

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
can anyone tell me what (in)famous film maker lived and worked on the ranch before Manson took over?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
A friend of mine, who happens to be a well known French photographer, is putting a book on famous murder/death scenes.  Last year, we went to Marilyn's house on 5th Helena (here in L.A.), O.J.'s house on Bundy Dr. and we tried to find the Manson/Tate murder scene.  Unfortunately, the houses on Cielo Dr. have been moved around, the numbers have been changed, and there is no way to know for sure anymore.  They did it on purpose at the time of the murders to avoid an outflow of onlookers.

T

PS: Rich, I don't think I was walking yet  ::).

Thierry, when I partially managed Grafitti comic shoppe in Westwood, OJ came in with Nicole one day. It was before they got married - about 1981-82 or so.

so here I am pricing comics and here they come, OJ first. He-stops-right-at-the-footstop, but does not step at, craning his head in the doorway. I look up & say "Hey.. OJ!" and he picks up a leg and steps in like a Tex Avery cartoon character with a big bounding step. Like a vampire.. he couldn't come in until you greeted him!! Nicole came in behind him.. she must have been 19 years old or something I told myself

anyway, I tell him how much I enjoyed seeing him on screen and etc.. Then he says "what about my football career?" and I told him his career was ending as I was beginning to watch football and that I didn't see him enough to appreciate him.

he turned on his heels and left so fast it was like he wasn't even there to begin with.. what an egomaniac..

you know, his current apartment isn't all that far here in Nevada.. maybe I can stop by and asks if he remembers me??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
Are you talking about this apartment?

http://www.doc.nv.gov/lcc/index.php

Yeah, you should visit him.  Tell him I said hi!   :-X

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
yeah that's the one.. it's about a 5 hour drive. maybe 6. I understand his rent is very cheap, but he's locked into a contract for the next 9 years or so with no buyout option. The landlord did indicate if he behaves well while on property, he may let him out of his contract a year or two early. OJ is appealing the contractual obligations, but so far the arbitrator hasn't judged in OJ's favor.

But hey look... OJ has a chef that prepares 3 meals a day for he and his party pals and I also hear that he's been playing his old position - wide reciever - so they must have football games in the entertainment rooms...

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »
Oh, that's harsh Rich.  I guess the Ol' Juicemeister is learning how to fold linen pretty well by now.  I would just hope that some of his younger roommates are teaching him lessons in the finer arts of self defense.  I hate to say it, but I'm hoping he'll end like Dahmer... boing to the head...

I remember the Tate-LoBianco murders well, Rich.  Real bad karma.  It was so disturbing that even us New Yorkers were locking our doors tightly for fear that the crazies responsible could show up here.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »
can anyone tell me what (in)famous film maker lived and worked on the ranch before Manson took over?

Anybody?
he's still making movies.
regarded as inventing a subgenre.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:07:51 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »
I remember the Tate-LoBianco murders well, Rich.  Real bad karma.  It was so disturbing that even us New Yorkers were locking our doors tightly for fear that the crazies responsible could show up here.

being from NYC.. I also remember walking every gal I knew who I partied with and hung out with right to their doors when they would go home during the Son of Sam craziness..

-------

Carson

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
Did you see Spike Lee's Son of Sam, Rich? Was it anything like that?

Schan, where would you put my odds on one of those 40 x 60 Blade Runners. I can't get over that one. The one 80s poster I'd take over all 80s posters.

There's no way of knowing on a poster like that, though I'd guess  I could count on seeing, at least one, over the next 5 years.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
That's where I was at Carson.  It was that image that drew me towards collecting in the first place, and it is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. 

I would say you will see a few come up for sale in the next 5 years.  I did not see one after keeping watch for 4 years (not in a condition I would be happy with), and then I saw 3, i think, surface in the past year.  I was the underbidder on one Dave (cinemasterpieces) sold on ebay, and then I believe he sold one in his store as well.  Then the one I picked up.  There was one other a couple of years ago, but it had the crinkles and a 2 inch tear.  If I come across one, I will let you know.

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
and I have one too.

to answer the son of sam question.. I didn't see the movie, but I doubt it could capture the fear that gripped NYC during that time

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
Answer to my unanswered question
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Ahh you all suck, Herschell Gordon Lewis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ecstasies of Women (1969) and Linda and Abilene (1969), a lesbian western which remains notorious for having been shot on the Spahn Ranch only months before it became inhabited by the Manson Family.

Gahh get some taste people ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
I knew that, but I was actually looking for someone famous, based on your question.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Beeeyatch, HGL invented GORE (well not really but he likes to think so), Master of Exploitation, true legend of US Cinema. NOT FAMOUS? I know (hope) you jest.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
Man, I never knew that...HG Lewis' ranch...you pullin' our leg, Ari?
That adds another bizarre angle to the Manson myth.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
nope true story,  he rented it just prior,
An Error Has Occurred!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:47 AM »
Spahn Ranch was actually a common filming location and I believe some of the Bonanza TV show was filmed there as well as the Lone Ranger TV shows

-------

sergmark

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:04 AM »
how many people here, like myself, are old enough to remember the Manson murders  and everything else that was going on at the time
When was that in the 70's ?? I seem to remember seeing it on the news. Pretty scary to me.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
When was that in the 70's ?? I seem to remember seeing it on the news. Pretty scary to me.

August 1969

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:51 AM »
bump
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 01:14:56 AM »
These two:

Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 01:18:52 AM »
Ted posted it before, but since this thread has been bumped, this is still my favorite poster I own.  Not the most expensive (or even rarest), but the fact that Sharon Tate got murdered a couple years later, that she was so freakin' drop dead gorgeous, married to Polanski and 8-months pregnant, gives the poster an added dimension I cannot look past.

T

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:19:50 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection