Author Topic: Your Most Prized Poster  (Read 55824 times)

easyenders

Your Most Prized Poster
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
Thinking of all the posters which I have, which would be the one that I would prize the most. Luckily my tastes are pretty simple, or I'm just easily pleased. Anyhow, if I had to get rid of the lot and just keep one it would be 'Midnight Express' uk quad. Reasons.....first x certificate, or 18  film that I saw while underage, plus the first piece of movie memorabilia that I thought ...I wouldn't mind having that....goodness I didn't know how to get posters then so I bought the LP of the soundtrack and slavishly copied the album art (in chalk and charcoal)....I've since become an Art teacher (ffs I have Midnight Express to thank for that).......anyhow if you had to keep only one movie poster what would it be?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:15:59 PM by erik1925 »

kauaitx

Re: your most prized poster
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

Ah, this is easy. As "rare" or "hard to get" as some of my posters are and as much as I have had to pay for some of them, the one that is most valuable to me and the one that I will never give up is my very first movie poster -- the one that started it all for me.

I had been driving to Austin (and to Dallas) to watch Star Wars:  Revenge of the Sith.  The guys at the cinema in Austin started to know me and they would send me email updates about show times and such.  As the very last showing of ROTS was approaching, I started to feel sad that I was never going to be able to see this bestest of all best movies -- the one that I watched 18 times in the movie theaters -- I wanted something to remember it by, to try to capture the feeling I had every time I went to see it.  I realized that I had to have the poster for it, so I asked/pleaded/begged the theater to give it to me when they called me to let me know about the last showing of the movie.  But, they gave me their usual spiel, about how they're supposed to give it back to the studio, etc. (Yeah, right.)  The manager said he would try to see what he could do but that he could promise nothing.  I arrived for the very last showing at 11 PM a few days later, but my heart fell and I was dejected when I saw that the poster was already taken down.  They had apparently sent the poster back or someone in the theater had procured it for himself.

But I watched my beloved movie and forgot all else for a little while.  At the end, as I walked out of the showing room, feeling sad and all, one of the theater guys was standing outside at the door holding a poster tube, waiting for me to come out to give the poster to me. 

That is my most precious poster.  And priceless to me.

(Now, if I could just remember which one it is among the 20 copies that I have of it, then this tear-jerking story would be even better.)

Jeannie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
Great story Jeannie but...

18 times?!  Lucas owes you a private tour of Skywalker Ranch!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
my most prized poster is the Murder My Sweet 1sh

it beats out my Marx Bros wc, my CFTBL wc, my serial posters, my Universal horror.. it beats them all

because??

I'm a major Raymond Chandler freak and this is my favorite adaptation of any of his novels. Plus it's also my favorite Chandler novel

my next faves are the 2 half sheets, and the lobby cards, and my foreign posters on the title.. and.. well anything else I have on the title

:-)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
What a wonderfully touching story, Jeannie

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
my most prized poster is the Murder My Sweet 1sh

it beats out my Marx Bros wc

Blasphemer

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
Elm St quad would be the last poster I would ever get rid of. I have many that are worth more, but that is a spectacular poster for a film that I love.

linder1

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
Tron B0.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:07:47 AM »
How about a photo of "Murder my sweet" as anything that's better than Universal Horrors, and the Marx bros needs to be on show.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
How about a photo of "Murder my sweet" as anything that's better than Universal Horrors, and the Marx bros needs to be on show.

Yeah Rich and while you're at it, why not post a pic of the daybill too (which I am pretty sure you have?) - one of the best ones out there!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
Chris

I don't think I have the daybill on MMS, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do
I know I have aussie posters on Lady in the Lake and Brasher Doubloon (and in diff sizes), but I don't think I won the MMS daybill

and I can't find my pics.. which is one reason I'm prepping to shoot my entire poster collection

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
okay.. some pics

other posters I like alot

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
Those are very impressive, Rich, and if you ever feel inclined to get rid of the Marx Bros WC

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »
Those are very impressive, Rich, and if you ever feel inclined to get rid of the Marx Bros WC

too bad you weren't around when I had 3 of them.........

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Rich, that is beautiful paper. The Drunk Driving poster is particularly special. Wow....

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
you'll probably like these too Brude

it's fun seeing them all on the walls at my office

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
The "Legion Of Terror" is awesome

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Great, great stuff Rich...I could have sworn I read a post on NSFGE where you posted a pic of the daybill but maybe I am confusing it with Lady in the Lake...

Anyways, here's a substitute:

Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
yeah I don't think I have it
I think when Bruce sold it I wouldn't go the $390 freight (2004)
I would now, if one comes up again

to tell the truth, several items I have wanted that I skipped first time around or lost outright, I later won for much less as my competitor was out (seeing as he/she had previously won)

the Brasher Doubloon 3sh Bruce sold in 2006 for $1081 I was the underbidder
I later bought from him in 2008 a top 2/3s for $90. Then last year he had a linenbacked one which I snatched for only $314 - essentially the cost of linen & any restoration it got (minimal fold wear). I saved $767 and I was able to pop it right up on the wall at the office next to the great French 1 grande (stairs style) of Orpheus (one of my favorite films. I'm a big Cocteau fan too) with the fantastic original German BAT in between them (on the original, her necklace is much more colorful & different than the re-issue)

unfortunately, I have no more room to put up the other Orpheus grande (hand style). The two Orpheus posters fight Murder My Sweet for "most prized"

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Ahhh, they are truly sinister.  Undercover Doctor J. Carroll Naish looks like he's doing his finest Lionel Atwill in the Persons in Hiding art.  The typography for Legion of Terror is happening, man.  Wow...
Now, did I hear you say Universal horror?
 ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
This is probably my most prized poster:

Followed closely by:

Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
here's proof of what my faves are.. I'm down at my office now so I took a few pics

so this is right at my desk.. which poster do I see most easily I ask you  ;D

around the corner

back room in the office

unfortunately, the Un. Doctor is on a wall with 10 posters that I can't get an angle on in a corridor

but I think it becomes obvious with all teh stuff you have, you also can't get it all displayed

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »
Outstanding, man!  That Earth Vs Flying Saucers 1/2 sheet brings back fond memories of one I lost in a trade??? WTF was I thinking???
House of Dracula one sheet and Amazing Colossal Man lobby card....hey, are those Cole Bros. circus posters on the shelf?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »
I couldn't choose one,

Hell Drivers Italian 2 foglio

Hell Drivers UK

Hell Drivers Insert

Oh and more Hell Drivers (spanish herald and Italian fotobustas

(yes I love that movie)

Also a film I havent seen, but love the poster,

and another favourite film, Daybill and UK 1 Sheet

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
nice Ari.. and yes, that is a Cole Bros poster.. $135 and it can be on your shelf

-------