Author Topic: LED Light Boxes.. would anyone be interested?  (Read 32025 times)

guest8

LED Light Boxes.. would anyone be interested?
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
So I have been looking into frames and other alternatives, and Ive always wanted a light box, but I never really wanted to have to build one and I really didnt want to pay $300-600 to buy one on ebay. Not to mention I've always disliked how deep the boxes were (some sticking away from the wall 4-6"). So I began looking into LED's and found a place that uses LED panels like they have in our televisions and I found a manufacture that is willing to make these in just about any size I want. I'm working on getting all of the available frame options and possible non-glare and/or UV-resistant covers. Not to mention shipping fees.

I am bringing it up here to see if anyone would be interested in picking up some of these? If so I could make a bulk order and possibly save some $$ and if the interest is high enough, maybe start buying bulk lots on a regular basis and reselling them.

So if anyone would be interested in picking something like this up post up or shot me a PM. I'm still trying to get some shipping costs figured out but it looks like I may be able to get them for ~$200 if I order 10. Maybe cheaper if I can order more.

I'll link to some pictures .. they say that the colors can be changed .. but the photos that i have show silver snap frames with white electrical cords. The frames are ~1.5" wide and the entire assembly is only ~1" deep. With an expected lifespan of 80,000 hrs on the back light and a brightness of >2,000 LUX.

let me know what you think .. pros and cons and all that other stuff too. :)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106177607191254337017/albums/5815205636365130385

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: LED Light Boxes.. would anyone be interested?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
This would be a really good deal if you can get them for this price and I would be interested.  As many of you know, I have been discussing making LED based lightboxes over at avs forums.com (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box)

The boxes we have been making cost considerably more.  The Spotlight Display frame alone costs near $100, plus the diffuser upgrade, cabinet building and the led strip lights bring the total around $300 for the DIY model.  Not only that, but the pictures you show seem to indicate that the panel you describe would provide more even lighting than we are getting.

If you decide to go for it, I would suggest cross posting over there, or let me do so, and I bet it would be good for several dozen orders.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
This would be a really good deal if you can get them for this price and I would be interested.  As many of you know, I have been discussing making LED based lightboxes over at avs forums.com (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box)

The boxes we have been making cost considerably more.  The Spotlight Display frame alone costs near $100, plus the diffuser upgrade, cabinet building and the led strip lights bring the total around $300 for the DIY model.  Not only that, but the pictures you show seem to indicate that the panel you describe would provide more even lighting than we are getting.

If you decide to go for it, I would suggest cross posting over there, or let me do so, and I bet it would be good for several dozen orders.

If you'd like to post over there please feel free. I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with posts on here let alone multiple sites. :)

As for the price, I just have to find out how much the shipping fees will be. Obviously, the more we ship at once the lower that cost would be. I hope to hear from my guy sometime tonight, when I get more info I'll post up here.

guest8

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:24 AM »
So I finally got a quote back on the shipping from the manufacture, and it was a bit higher than I was expecting. Just to get the frames to me it will cost about $650 to ship 10 of them. So that bumps the initial cost of $200 up significantly and I would still have to re-ship these to prospective buyers. I've done some rough estimating and for me to ship something of this size from Indianapolis to Seattle it would cost roughly $30-50. Unfortunately, due to the LED panel this isn't something that can't be broken down into a smaller size. So the package would need to be larger than 27x40".

So what do you think now Jay, given that the shipping costs will push the costs closer to $300, is this something you DIY'ers would still be interested in?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »
So I finally got a quote back on the shipping from the manufacture, and it was a bit higher than I was expecting. Just to get the frames to me it will cost about $650 to ship 10 of them. So that bumps the initial cost of $200 up significantly and I would still have to re-ship these to prospective buyers. I've done some rough estimating and for me to ship something of this size from Indianapolis to Seattle it would cost roughly $30-50. Unfortunately, due to the LED panel this isn't something that can't be broken down into a smaller size. So the package would need to be larger than 27x40".

So what do you think now Jay, given that the shipping costs will push the costs closer to $300, is this something you DIY'ers would still be interested in?

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone.  There is a certain DIYC mentality which will keep people from buying completed stuff.  If you look at the thread, you will see that every frame was finished out differently, with wood trim and such.

There is an attraction to having it thinner, and that would definitely sell.  $300 is cheaper than the competition in this market, and you would sell to the home theater crowd that simply wants to hang and enjoy.

I would buy at least one to evaluate. Can't promise beyond that.  Biggest stumbling block might be marketing.  There are a couple of conventional lightboxes out there from places like stargate cinema, and they have an established reputation.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
If these sold enough to make it worthwhile I'd consider putting a couple on ebay and making a website for them as well and maybe sell them like that. I just gave away www.alamodrafthouseposters.com so I could use another project site to play with. :) I may just go ahead and order 10 of them .. worst case I hang 4 or 5 in my own theater rooms. :P Like you said though, I wouldn't have any name recognition. I'd just have to start slow and go from there. I may take a look at customizing them as well. I personally would love if I could get right of the electrical cord and have it wireless or at least be able to plug in to something directly behind the frame. Im still working out a few details but once that is done I can order them and they said I should have them in hand in about a week. So I may have these sitting in my living room in as little as 2 weeks! :D

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »
Whatever happened to these?

guest8

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
Nothing .. it took me weeks at a time to gather info .. I can get them .. but to cover shipping and everything a std. 27x40 would run about $300/frame. Still a decent price but not as good as I was expecting, so I hadn't really been pressing the issue with the supplier lately.

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
Should have read the thread... my bad... :-\

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
Nothing .. it took me weeks at a time to gather info .. I can get them .. but to cover shipping and everything a std. 27x40 would run about $300/frame. Still a decent price but not as good as I was expecting, so I hadn't really been pressing the issue with the supplier lately.

There is also that thread over on AVS about converting a 42" LCD set to be a virtual poster lightbox.  Might not be of as much interest here, but it also limits the market some.  Those folks are the customers and a virtual lightbox seems to be attracting a lot of attention.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
I have a 32" Virtual frame running now, I just wish meyer would write it for Linux so that I could put a raspberry pi on it and not run an HDMI from my PC to the frame!

guest8

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
So... I have been revisiting this... I wasn't able to hit the price point I was hoping to, it looks like they would run $275 plus shipping.

Before I bought into everything I was curious what everyone thought about LED frames at that price point and if anyone here would be interested in picking some up. If I could pre-sell the first order that would be awesome!

Here are some pics..

Oh and the black/red border with the Coming Soon tag is some kind of overlay. Mine would not have those.

Here is the gallery that I linked to above as well.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106177607191254337017/albums/5815205636365130385

So let me know what you think.. as buyers and poster collectors.. even if you aren't interested I'm just looking for some feedback from whomever. :)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I assume you don't have one in your posession.  I would be interested in seeing better details, although the link does show the edge lighting and the diffuser backing.

I'd be willing to pick up one from the first batch for evaluation.  Probably a couple more later if it worked out.  As I said earlier, the DIY box I built cost around $130-150.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
Some of the stats about the frames are ..

Frame is made of 6030 aluminum
LED’s are 5630 High Brightness Pure White w/brightness up to 4000LUX
LED diffuser is made of optic quality acrylic with 3D laser engraved matrix
Overlay is a 2-3mm sheet of acrylic
Overall Thickness is 28mm and the frame width is 40mm

EDIT:::

Ohh and they do come with a 1 year warranty.

guest8

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
I'd be willing to pick up one from the first batch for evaluation.  Probably a couple more later if it worked out.  As I said earlier, the DIY box I built cost around $130-150.

Was that an LED box or an florescent bulb box? I only ask because in your earlier posts you referred to it costing ~$300  for a DIY box.

I am at the point where I just want to order them, so that I can get one in hand. But, the minimum order is 10 units and I'd hate to order them all and only be able to move 1 or 2. :P

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
Was that an LED box or an florescent bulb box? I only ask because in your earlier posts you referred to it costing ~$300  for a DIY box.

I am at the point where I just want to order them, so that I can get one in hand. But, the minimum order is 10 units and I'd hate to order them all and only be able to move 1 or 2. :P

No, I think I said $300 was the going rate for low cost commercial ones. Never built a flourescent one.  The one I quoted used LED rope light and the cost breakdown was as follows:

Spotlight 27x40 frame $75
50' of led rope light:  $45 on sale at Menards
15' of 1x2 pine:  $25
4'x4' shower backer board: $15
Clips, screws: $15
Total: $175
Hours: probably 20 overall.

One of these days I need to convert to the led strip lights.  A roll of that is around $60 and a power supply another $40, so that would add $50 to the cost.  Starts bringing it in line with the one you are quoting, especially when labor is considered.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:06:55 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
No, I think I said $300 was the going rate for low cost commercial ones. Never built a flourescent one.  The one I quoted used LED rope light and the cost breakdown was as follows:

Spotlight 27x40 frame $75
50' of led rope light:  $45 on sale at Menards
15' of 1x2 pine:  $25
4'x4' shower backer board: $15
Clips, screws: $15
Total: $175
Hours: probably 20 overall.

One of these days I need to convert to the led strip lights.  A roll of that is around $60 and a power supply another $40, so that would add $50 to the cost.  Starts bringing it in line with the one you are quoting, especially when labor is considered.

Ahh ok I understand now! :)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

cool!

When they are done try and post a detailed video if you can. I'm not sure if I would want one or not but you never know! :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Quite enjoyed reading this thread, and it has given me a solution to my problem.... ;)

I bought 4 (well 6 actually, long story) old light boxes a while back, I knew they needed a bit of a re-ferb, which would cost me just the paint. The rest I can do and it will cost me nothing.  Until I saw the state of the electrics. It was going to cost a fair bit to re-wire them correctly, but running LED rope lights inside is a great idea. I have two brand new ones I don't use at Christmas, so...

I'll be testing it at the weekend.... :D   Thanks all.  

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:29:24 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
Before you invest in the rope light, take a look at the link to AVS I referenced in my first response.  A long read, but worth it.

I did 50' of rope light with a 27x40 frame and the results were marginal.  The problem with the rope lights is that the bulbs are not aligned and the jacket adds further diffusion.  You do get a backlit effect, but it is dim.  The thread talks about using rolls of LED strip lighting and that is a lot more efficient.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
I did see that J, however the plastic "diffuser" where the poster sits is all white on these ones I have as seen in the pic. Plus the led lights are 240v and are quite bright, we use them outside for lighting the patio..  As I say, I have two of these laying around, and if they work, they are cheap over here, about £15.

I'll give one a temporary set up over the weekend just to see the effect. I'll post some pics if it looks O.K.   There's only two bulbs in the bit that lights the poster, and one in the "coming soon" section as it is.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:03:01 PM by paul waines »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
Yep, far too dim.

Back to fluorescent tubes.... eyeroll

guest8

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »
OK, scratch everything I have posted before this post. I didn't like the power supply that the original manufacture was using so I started talking to another and they have some different specs.

Some of the key points are:
SMD LED’s 3014 with 80,000 hour life span, Beam Angle of 120°, Color Temp 6500K
Diffuser Panel is 5mm thick with LED’s on all 4 sides
Frames are 18mm (0.7in) deep and 30mm (1.18in) wide
3A AC/DC Adaptor
Non-Glare Overlay

and here are some photos..

I'm eager to hear what you all think! So let me know!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »
Do you have a pic of the poster without the lights on? But lit enough to see it well..

guest8

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
Its not he same graphic .. but here is one of it not turned on.