Author Topic: Video posters?  (Read 70018 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Video posters?
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »
Just wondering what everyone's opinion of Video posters is? Being a film fan first, and a collector second, I got to know quite a few of the video rental guy's, who quite often offered me some of the posters. Like most collectors I thought second rate junk. Most of these posters were sellotaped, torn, drawn on, etc no one was bothered about them. So will this make for future collectables, or just junk from the late 70's, and 80's?

I have brought this up as I have come across some of them, while sorting out my collection. I started selling some a few years back, but give up as they did'nt seem worth the hassle. Here's a couple from the top of the pile.

It's more than a Hobby...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Re: Video posters?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
I love video posters because it's how I started collecting in the first place. I have a huge collection of video posters and still buy them today if they feature different artwork from the theatrical release. I'm not sure they'll be worth anything in the future but some titles can be incredibly hard to find. I've been looking for a UK Ed Wood video poster since it's release and haven't found one yet.

Interestingly I've been trying to get a UK dvd poster for 9, but was told that as it's released by Universal there won't be any as they've stopped printing posters for the rental/sales market. They'll always be an important part of he hobby for me though. This is the first poster I ever bought, cost me 20p!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
I'm same...if the artwork is different to the theatrical then I am happy to add them to my collection.
Ves

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
That Wraith poster is beautful. I have now added that to my want list...

I believe that video posters -- ones with diff art -- will be the surprise collectibles of the future.  They are usually used and abused, torn and thrown out.  Many 'movie poster' collectors look down on them, except for those who appreciate their aesthetic value, like Holiday who has many beautiful video posters.

Here are a few video sheets that I have saved and they are getting difficult to find...

I prefer this video poster over the 300 theatricals and Dario Argento told me that this Suspiria poster was his favorite for the movie...

Alex Ross designed this kick-ass special edition poster for Flash Gordon, another hard one to find. 
This is just a stock photo, the real poster has full credits at the bottom and is one-sheet size, 27x40.

I have several others, but I don't want to hog this thread...

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »
Suspiria does have a nice image on it. Congrats! No worries on being a hog Brude. Post up the posters you really dig.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »
re Video posters, there are a lot that are far rarer than the theatrical version, there are a lot that are not. Some have great art, they tend to be frowned upon, but some I think will in their time be very collected. That Suspiria, I love, I prefer the Italian 2 foglio, but thats 2nd IMHO, Id say, 80's Horror and SF, etc, video posters will go up a lot in value, reason, collecting is about nostalgia, and a lot of us, grew up in the video age, and these posters are what we remember, as a kid and teen my walls were covered in video posters, standees on the floor etc.
if you have the bug, you want stuff that you had as a kid and you pay, so, thats why I even collect video covers. One day someone will say HEY HAVE YOU GOT (insert title)?

heres a few Video Posters I have,

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
Great stuff all.  My Pulp Fiction video poster is currently hanging right next to my desk.  The "quotes" are too big but I like the picture of the main cast.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
It's funny that they used a pic of Sam Jackson WITHOUT the wig!  I did a double-take when I first saw it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »
This Robin Hood video release came out in the late 80s...

THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER aka THE SECT, directed by Michele Soavi..  

German video poster for KINGDOM OF HEAVEN....

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:08:44 AM by brude »

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
This is a VHS/laserdisc poster I like quite a lot:

Armin

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »
re LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, the Aussie Theatre version uses that art.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:54 PM »
Landed this one:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
I can see her toes!!!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Carson

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »

Nice posters happy1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Carson, that's just all wrong....aaaarrrrgggghhhh...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »
The mockingbirds have alighted on my post!  They just hate her 'cause she's be-yoo-ti-ful:

THE_SHAPE

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
I have a texas chainsaw massacre(74) on video. Im sure its not worth much but i like it.

no pics yet but ill throw one up sometime.

Evan

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
Come across another pile of video posters.  Ahh, the good old days before the 1984 banning of certain films on video.

spacething

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »
Come across another pile of video posters.  Ahh, the good old days before the 1984 banning of certain films on video.

Great set of Video Nasty posters!  Like you Paul, I am a movie fan before I am a poster collector.  I've been trying to pick up all the Video Nasties on dvd.  It's a REALLY mixed bag.  Some of them are great, others are very, well, the less said about them the better.  I don't know if you've actually seen "Cannibal Terror," but if you have the opportunity..... avoid.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »
I had the unfortunate pleasure that was Cannibal terror way back, through the Haze of a pirate copy in the 80's. It was a strange time for the horror fan. How aren't we blind trying to watch appalling copy's of banned films.

As someone mentioned Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I know this is not a video poster, it's a double crown for the first release in the U.K. They must of thought it was so Horrific it only has words, as a pic would be too much.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
Vertigo "Videocassette/Laserdisc" poster - very displayable for a tiny fraction ($14) of the cost of the original ($3,000+):

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
Just picked up this Clan of the Cave Bear video poster (dealer pic - not too classy with the rock place holders) - nice companion piece to the original movie poster:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Nice one, Mel.  I was an under-bidder on that one, but I am sure you will give it a good home  :D.

I scored this Dick Tracy video poster, which will compliment the movie theater poster nicely  :D.  And I scored a new digital camera today  :D. Now I can show off my posters, including my wild and crazy framed collection, hopefully tomorrow  :D.  

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:08:03 AM by NeoLoco »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »

I see you've got the "punched hole in the face" Madonna poster too.  Anyone else have one of these?  The Ebay seller (backlotbooks aka Sabin Gray) who sold one to me claimed he was a former Disney employee at Burbank who rescued them from the trash.  Can anybody verify that happened?  It has the serial number on the back and appears to be an original.

Updated: Just checked. He's still selling these for $69 - I think I paid much less a while back.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »
I got mine from Bruce for $79 about 6 months ago.  Serial number on back, as you mentioned, and I am confident that it is original.  There were some posts on MPF about the holes, which I thought were pretty interesting.  Sounds like a believable story, but it would be cool if someone could verify it.

The Ebay seller (backlotbooks aka Sabin Gray) who sold one to me claimed he was a former Disney employee at Burbank who rescued them from the trash.

Funny you should mention that bit about him rescuing those from the trash, because I smelled the poster when I was taking a picture of it, and it had a funky smell, which I thought was strange  :-\.  I guess it just adds to the history of the poster  :D.