Author Topic: Movie Poster Database = Cinematerial.com  (Read 10571 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Movie Poster Database = Cinematerial.com
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »
As posted in another board.

It's still a good visual poster resource and research site:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8876.msg220822.html#msg220822

MPDB did go down but it morphed into and became CineMaterial.com. This happened a few years ago. If I'm remembering right, they even sent out an email at the time, explaining what happened to all who had joined and created an account with them.

I think the 2 guys that started MBDB had a parting of ways.

Here's the current site link:

https://www.cinematerial.com/

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:40:06 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

Re: Movie Poster Database = Cinematerial.com
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Kinda surprised to see this:

But all SW posters are still on IMPAWARDS so the studio doesn't tolerate "pay for download" sites like Cinematerial.

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »
Another info tidbit, somebody said the XL images were stolen from "pressites."

I always assumed they were coming from digital presskits sent to Hollywood mags like Variety or movie critics.

Anybody know more about this?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »
It took me two minutes to find one of my posters on this site (Duel Swedish).  I wonder how many were borrowed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
It took me two minutes to find one of my posters on this site (Duel Swedish).  I wonder how many were borrowed.

T

Aw, your "sharing skills" suck!  8)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
Aw, your "sharing skills" suck!

T is generosity personified with his cataloged and freely available collection of rare posters.  Cinematerial's version of "sharing" is slapping their watermark on someone else's photos and then collecting advertising against them!

guest4955

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
Unlike me, an APFer (anonymously) had something intelligent to say on the subject  8)

.... at my movie advertising job the press kits were aplenty and definitely had nice res photos of posters etc.

Also when I would download the adslicks from an ftp site. Sometimes the raw file for the poster was in the zip file. (All the elements in layers)

And many of the studio ftp sites also have a separate folder that is for the poster that was accessible.

guest4955

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
T is generosity personified with his cataloged and freely available collection of rare posters.  Cinematerial's version of "sharing" is slapping their watermark on someone else's photos and then collecting advertising against them!

Just a joke HC.

But they charge a few cents per download and the admin has claimed many times he only breaks even. I assume that's true bc there are relatively few potential customers since there are plenty of free MP sites and most CM downloaders download free in exchangemfor uploading images.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 02:31:53 PM »

The sole purpose of my website since conception has been for me to catalog my collection and see what I have or need to acquire.  Since I don’t display my posters, it is an essential tool.  It is primarily for my personal use (although visitors are welcome) and because I’m not in the business of selling posters, i don’t spend a lot of time taking pictures and just snap them with my iPhone, so they are not high quality, therefore not usable by another site.  The Duel picture I was referring to was taken on my hardwood floor and you can actually see it on the sides.  It’s still a little annoying that people would take those pictures without asking and try to make money out of them.  Whether they do or not is another issue.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
Well sometimes CM is great. Found this 5000px Chinese BR2 image - evidentially borrowed from a Chinese press kit - and Anglicized it in Pshop for future printing:

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
I appreciate we all have different design and photoshop skills. If you're going to the trouble of getting it printed as a full size poster, why would you not try and make it look correct typographically, rather than a fan made poster?

guest4955

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
I appreciate we all have different design and photoshop skills. If you're going to the trouble of getting it printed as a full size poster, why would you not try and make it look correct typographically, rather than a fan made poster?

Arrgh! Happy now?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »
That is better, but I still don't know why you did the logo that way? I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, which I don't mean to be, just curious. This still looks better than the domestic poster though.

I'm sure you're having fun with these things, and from the others you've had printed up I bet this will look great too. So carry on and ignore me  :)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Can you make it less pink and less futuristic

guest4955

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
That is better, but I still don't know why you did the logo that way?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »
I get why you did the logo that way now, because you could keep the 2049 bit. Good efforts though  cheers

guest4955

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Can you make it less pink and less futuristic

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
That's funny!

Offline 50s

• Curator