Author Topic: 2009  (Read 54977 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Re: Two Newly Framed Posters
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 11:38:45 PM »
Beauties for sure. They are something else.

Cj

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 11:39:22 PM »
Thanks guys.

The NSFGE people know how much it means to me - my most sought after piece of paper and a very difficult poster to locate!

Just wanted to share it with more sets of eyes...
Chris

wonka

Re: Some new Japanese material
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
Ack, what a cool poster...love it.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
La Chair de L'Orchidee b2
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:13 AM »
By far, The Night Porter is my favorite movie with Charlotte Rampling.  Her portrait on this poster, though, is spectacular.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

wonka

Re: La Chair de L'Orchidee b2
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »
Terrific, I am jealous.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: Fellowship of the Ring DS (Frodo Looking Down)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »
The funny thing abou the Suburban Mayhems is that although the film did get a run in theatres, you never saw them up anywhere...at least not in Melbourne.  Very Odd!
Ves

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
A few Japanese B1's and a Belgian
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:21 AM »
I have posted these elsewhere, but in the spirit of a new forum, here are my latest.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:21:53 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: A few Japanese B1's and a Belgian
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
thumbs up to all, especially the my fair lady
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
Thanks guys.

The NSFGE people know how much it means to me - my most sought after piece of paper and a very difficult poster to locate!

Just wanted to share it with more sets of eyes...

Chris, simply amazing posters.  Thanks for sharing.  

I believe many of the MPF expatriates (like myself) are less familiar with vintage posters.  How many of your Mummy & Spider posters exist?  How about educating us about the process of acquiring these.  I vaguely understand that many of the old posters are impossible to find.  I do remember Heritage recently selling a Style B Black Cat poster for $334,000, only one of which exists.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
Pirate, thanks!

And I do believe what you say is true - many collectors from MPF seem to have been much more into contemporary posters whereas, generally, but not without exception, many of the people from NSFGE prefer the vintage material.  Many collect both.  However, personally it is VINTAGE all the way!  The contemporary slant of MPF is one reason why I virtually never visited or posted on that site.

To answer your question on how many of these posters exist - certainly not nearly as many as with US paper on the same titles (these are Australian daybills which generally had much more limited print runs owing to a smaller population and distribution).  There seem to be several Spider daybills that have shown up recently.  The Mummy on the other hand virtually never turns up.  This may just simply be a case of collectors holding on to them.  Another explanation is that Australia has strict rules with respect to censorship (even to the present) and so horror posters and posters that depict lurid or overtly graphic images (although there are exceptions) seem to be somewhat scarcer.

The Mummy and the Spider were both acquired through good old eBay (I use the 'good' loosely).  I had searched high and low for the Mummy and even tried to bribe Ari into giving up his (with little to no success ;) ) before one finally turned up for sale.  Now it will be in my collection likely forever, framed happily on the wall!

To be clear, these posters are no where near the scarcity level of the Black Cat poster you referenced and many Universal horror titles from the same period. 
Chris

guest8

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 11:54:10 AM »
I get what youre saying but the "collector" in me make me desire the one thats harder to find .. although the B2 could possibly be just as nice .. Ill just have to keep an eye out for either .. I may see see a B2 at a weak moment and give in to the desire just to see the art up close and in person :)

wonka

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
I love the rarity factor of B1s, and landing one over the B2 equivalent is always satisfying, but I actually prefer the B2 size. 

They just beg to be framed all over the place...and the more the merrier.

guest8

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »
Id love to frame a lot of stuff I just hate it when the piece Im framing didnt cost as much as the frame :P (I dont know what the value is of this piece, because Im valuation-ally challenged )

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
This may just simply be a case of collectors holding on to them.

I think this holds true of a quite a few aussie daybills hence people thinking they are "rare".
Some are just so great, once you get them, you don't let them go.
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
I think this holds true of a quite a few aussie daybills hence people thinking they are "rare".
Some are just so great, once you get them, you don't let them go.

Ves, do you think this is explains why I only know of two (your's being one) House on Haunted Hill daybills?
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
Definately.  I really don't think that they are the only one's in existance. 
Another thing to remember is that very few people actually advertise what they have in their collections...
Ves

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Set of 3 Alice in Wonderland in my Light Boxes
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 06:35:22 PM »
Set of three Alice in Wonderland posters.

I picked these up around 2 weeks ago. I have them displayed in my light boxes which are mounted all in a row. These look fantastic backlit. Click below to check them out.
http://www.moviepostermadness.com/Movie_Poster_Madness/Light_Boxes.html#6

Cj

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: Set of 3 Alice in Wonderland in my Light Boxes
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
They look great!  I didn't realise the set went together like that...I thought they were just 3 great posters.  FARK.  I am getting old.
Ves

guest8

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
Yes that does look great .. Ive been debating if I wanted to pick some of these up or not ..

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
Very nice, CJ. Here's what they look like put together in Photoshop in large format (images from IMDB). I've been thinking about getting them.  Right now the best deal I can find is movieposter.com for $25 each. They're generally selling for more than that on Ebay, but I expect they will go below $25 eventually, especially if the movie is not very good - I've been hearing mixed impressions so far.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
I noticed when they were displayed that Depp appears twice . Once in the center and the second - sitting at the table. I would not think that it would show him twice since it appears that these are meant to be displayed side by side.

Cj

cinemarts

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »
What a fabulous triptych!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »
I noticed when they were displayed that Depp appears twice . Once in the center and the second - sitting at the table. I would not think that it would show him twice since it appears that these are meant to be displayed side by side.

Cj

Good point - that does defeat the purpose. 

Do the posters themselves fit together perfectly?  I had to overlap the images I downloaded to merge them properly

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »
Shame on those people.

While I do understand the desire to keep it private, they should share the wealth (in terms of photos etc).

Just my opinion.  It's like having a beautiful girl and locking her away in some tall tower ;)
Chris

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
Without taking them out - it appears that everything aligns with each other. I love the caterpillar with the bong sitting on top the mushroom. Cracks me up!!

Cj