Author Topic: Bullfighting Posters  (Read 18523 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Bullfighting Posters
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »

I have quite a few bullfighting posters and always on the look out for big ones. Well for sale on ebay is probably the holy grail - poster advertising a bullfight event where Manolete, the Spanish bullfighting legend, met his match (gored and shortly after died from the injuries):

I deplore bullfighting, however, for some reason I like the posters, they are different to other posters.

Here is one I have, the same size as above from I think 1962, using the same art work of what looks like Manolete, featuring Paco Camino also one of the greatest bullfighters:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Bullfighting Posters
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
While I abhor bullfighting, I do like the posters (but have none).
Must say I do dig the videos where matadors get their just desserts.
Check some of these out.
Madre de mios!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=matador+gets+gored&oq=matador+gets+gored&gs_l=youtube.3...276.3640.0.3814.12.11.0.0.0.0.411.2064.2j5j3j0j1.11.0...0.0...1ac.sc145xH1ZEA

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
I have quite a few bullfighting posters and always on the look out for big ones. Well for sale on ebay is probably the holy grail - poster advertising a bullfight event where Manolete, the Spanish bullfighting legend, met his match (gored and shortly after died from the injuries):

I deplore bullfighting, however, for some reason I like the posters, they are different to other posters.

Here is one I have, the same size as above from I think 1962, using the same art work of what looks like Manolete, featuring Paco Camino also one of the greatest bullfighters:

Great looking poster, Steve.   thumbsup.gif

Im with you and Ted on what bullfighting is all about, but the posters are beautiful.

What size is that? Almost looks to be the same as a theatrical 3 sheet?

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »
Great looking poster, Steve.   thumbsup.gif

Im with you and Ted on what bullfighting is all about, but the posters are beautiful.

What size is that? Almost looks to be the same as a theatrical 3 sheet?

Thanks, it is 79cm x 188cm, so, a fraction taller and narrower than a 3 sheet.

Here is another one (110cm x 220cm) a fair bit taller and a bit wider than a 3 sheet. From 1935. It has possibly the most talented matador of all time shown in the image and also in the ring that day - Juan Belmont. It is a little damage top right corner, but I am hoping it will go up in value(!)... cost a fair bit when I got it a few years ago. There are CDs holding it down so you can see the scale.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »
Love it, Steve...  cheers

And who is the artist? (love when pieces are signed like that).

I don't want to butcher the spelling, as I cant make out his sig, clearly.

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
Luckily I take lots of photos for each poster... here is the artist signature in detail... I don't know who it is though (!)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »
Luckily I take lots of photos for each poster... here is the artist signature in detail... I don't know who it is though (!)

That's why I was unsure.. his stylized sig.

But I found him.  ;)

His name is Carlos Ruano Llopis

A Google, edited translation from https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Ruano_Llopis . (So if the english is a bit off, that's why).

Carlos Ruano was born on April 10, 1878 in Orba. Born into a modest family, the fourth of seven children. Following the completion of primary school, he moved to Alicante where he and his brother Pedro, initiated, continued and concluded their bachelor studies in Valencia with excellent academic records.

Given the economic need of the family as a result of the premature death of his father, he decided to drop out and was placed in a workshop production, where, while his salary helped to alleviate the family responsibilities, he was perfecting his drawing technique. Later he enrolled at the Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos of Valencia.

In 1909 he won the gold medal in the Regional Exhibition, allowing him to enjoy a scholarship to further his studies in Italy.

The bullfighting themes were a highlight of his work. He contributed his enormous love of the world of bullfighting, in his art. He contemplated but later gave up his resolve to be a bullfighter. On one occasion when Joselito "Gallo" saw one of the great images of the artist, he said: "He who has painted this, knows bullfighting, although he has never ever fought."

In 1912, an oil paint and taurine theme was done, based on the famous printing-lithograph by Ortega; to comemorate the painter, D. Jose Ortega. The painting in question would be lithographed the following year and designed for the bullfight for which the October 16, 1913 dismissal of Ricardo Torres "Bombita" was announced.

Ortega Ruano worked exclusively in lithography until 1934, designing and doing countless commercial commissions. But where he truly stood out would be the posters with bullfighting themes.

In 1930, he opened his own studio in Madrid, alternating his painting activity between the capital and Valencia.

In 1931, he published his first book "Impressions of Nature."

His 2nd bullfighting book, was published in Mexico in 1943, in a limited, signed and numbered edition with excellent technical and artistic information.

He worked the same way in the Hollywood film industry, directing the bullfighting scenes and designing posters advertising the film Blood and Sand (1941), starring Tyrone Power and Rita Hayworth.

His last years were filled with a fervent desire to return to Spain; a journey that was never achieved and canceled due to illness that eventually led to his death on September 2, 1950.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:01:00 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:22 AM »
Thanks for finding this information Jeff. I want to have the poster repaired in the top corner but haven't been able to find another image of it. So now you have provided the artist name and that he put out a 2nd book which might contain the image, I have some leads to go on, thanks!  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »
Thanks for finding this information Jeff. I want to have the poster repaired in the top corner but haven't been able to find another image of it. So now you have provided the artist name and that he put out a 2nd book which might contain the image, I have some leads to go on, thanks!  thumbsup.gif

Happy to help, Steve.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »

It was interesting to read that he worked in Hollywood, too, as a director and likely in a technical capacity, when it came to bullfighting scenes. It sounds like he really knew all aspects about it.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »
My brother in Paris owns some amazing bull fighting posters.  I don't, and never will, because I find this sport despicable (sorry Steve), but I know through my brother that there is a strong market of fanatics for these.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
^ T, I find the sport despicable too but still collect the posters for the art... But I can see it can remind of cruelty. Same I collect Circus posters. Interesting to know your brother also collects posters, and bull fighting posters at that... The community of non movie poster collectors seems small, when looking around the internet, but I reckon they are quite sizable. Does you brother collect other types of posters besides bullfighting?

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »
^ T, I find the sport despicable too but still collect the posters for the art... But I can see it can remind of cruelty. Same I collect Circus posters. Interesting to know your brother also collects posters, and bull fighting posters at that... The community of non movie poster collectors seems small, when looking around the internet, but I reckon they are quite sizable. Does you brother collect other types of posters besides bullfighting?

^  The art is very catchy and there is a huge number of Toreador fans out there. I am against it. Don't get it.
There was a massive argument a couple of days ago (see pic). A well known torero holding his daughter while training. Clearly these guys are mad...
But posters are posters. Nice artwork for sure.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
^ reminds me of Michael Jackson dangling his baby out the window

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
^^^ Very true...forgot about that one

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »

No, just bullfighting.  But like the top of the top.  Super rare old bullfighting posters.  He probably has 3 or 4 around his house in Paris.  He would have no problems spending $100k on a bullfighting poster if it pleased him.  That kind of stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)