Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises 'Catwoman Snow' Poster  (Read 12438 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: The Dark Knight Rises 'Catwoman Snow' Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
To answer onesheet's question, it's because Mel is pretty amazing at ferreting things out and in finding great buys.  I have many, many posters that are very rare, and that you could say the same thing about.  Authentic does not necessarily mean readily available. But, you can believe what you want to believe.  It leaves more for us!

To answer skyjacker's question, you're entitled to believe what you want to believe.  Also I have posters that were not supposed to have been printed according to one source, but were printed because I have them in hand.

As collectors, we reach the point of being able to make independente assessments, and to not rely exclusively on what other people have to say.  I have posters that merely because of the way they smell I can tell you they are or are not authentic. Christ, I can pretty much tell you what country they are from by the way they smell!

My strong advice to each of you, and to anyone else who's reading, is to take to the bank what Mel has to say, because he knows what he's talking about.  Of course, you may ignore him too, and that's ok.  But, you'd be missing out.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Thanks for the support H but I don't really claim to have more expertise than other veterans of the hobby.

It would not surprise me a bit if HNoise's source is sneaking these out the back door of Warner or its printers.

So arguably these are semi-legit but like I said I don't really care. I'm far more concerned with the digital repros that MovieBads and Tom Locust are pumping out.

guest8

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
To answer onesheet's question, it's because Mel is pretty amazing at ferreting things out and in finding great buys.  I have many, many posters that are very rare, and that you could say the same thing about.  Authentic does not necessarily mean readily available. But, you can believe what you want to believe.  It leaves more for us!

To answer skyjacker's question, you're entitled to believe what you want to believe.  Also I have posters that were not supposed to have been printed according to one source, but were printed because I have them in hand.

As collectors, we reach the point of being able to make independente assessments, and to not rely exclusively on what other people have to say.  I have posters that merely because of the way they smell I can tell you they are or are not authentic. Christ, I can pretty much tell you what country they are from by the way they smell!

My strong advice to each of you, and to anyone else who's reading, is to take to the bank what Mel has to say, because he knows what he's talking about.  Of course, you may ignore him too, and that's ok.  But, you'd be missing out.

Generally speaking, I agree with everything you just said... But as it pertains to this seller, I wouldn't buy from them unless I was fully willing to accept the fact that what I am buying is a fake printed up by some skilled printers.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »
All I'm really saying is that the personal experience of someone who I trust goes far to balance against other factors that might otherwise cause me concern.  I wasn't trying to be a cheerleader, and my legs are too hairy for that.  I'm just saying that of all the people who could say something useful about their experience and opinion about issues of authenticity, Mel is one of the ones that I listen to.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
The guy has connections to Warner.  I don't have any serious doubts that the Dark Shadows character poster - that nobody else has - that he sold to me is legit:

Hmmmm. So you have someone who has connections to Warners who supplies you with posters that other members think are fakes?

There's something very familiar about all of this but i just can't put my finger on it.  ;D :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:03:09 PM by Hallucination Generation »

guest8

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
All I'm really saying is that the personal experience of someone who I trust goes far to balance against other factors that might otherwise cause me concern.  I wasn't trying to be a cheerleader, and my legs are too hairy for that.  I'm just saying that of all the people who could say something useful about their experience and opinion about issues of authenticity, Mel is one of the ones that I listen to.

Well like many others that have a place in the hall of shame .. it wouldn't be unprecedented if this seller sold some legit paper along with the fakes. Im not arguing that the Dark Shadows poster is real or not, I'm arguing that this seller sells fakes and cannot be trusted. :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
I went and back and looked at my earlier messages with the seller about the Eva Green Dark Shadows poster (face).  Certainly, he came across as honest to me, especially since he didn't have endless copies and didn't have other posters (even though large images of them were available on MPDB):

Me: This [Eva Green poster] is definitely a 27x40 original correct? Are you sure it is not 24x36?

H: Hello. No this is not a 24x36 I was suprised they didn't make those this time. Yes these are Warner Brothers material. I went and measured and this poster measures 27x39.5 I also have a few full figure with random backgrounds for eva and other cast members.

Me:  Do you have this one? http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/d2d2b2b2 [Eva standing in front of car]

H: I will have that image later in the week, somehow i missed it and also don't have any of the other men in the cast except for Johnny Depp. I love that series but they also measure short of 40 inches also.

Me: I'll take that other poster of Eva standing in front of the car for $25 if it is 27x39.5 and an original. I do not want any kind of reproduction or 24x36.

H: Hello Thanks for your offer, let's wait and see if it arrives. Not ever sure till it gets here, can't sell what I don't have.  Usually these are 24x40 when not 27x40 from Warner Bros. Not sure why they used a different format this time for oversize. We have your item ready to ship. Thanks again.

Me: [Long message about first poster arrived damaged]

H: Having just closed the auction for the second poster I had I will have to see if I can beg another. Again I'm sorry it's arrived damaged.

Me: Any luck getting a replacement for that poster? If not, I'd like one of your Burton posters as a replacement.

H: Hello. Trying to get a response on the additional posters still.

H: We are shipping your replacement poster today.

Me: Thanks! I really like that poster. I'd also like to get your Dark Knight International poster at some point but can't do three figures for it.

H: Yes Sir was glad to get it for you. The International [Dark Knight] is the gem. Understable to wait, I would rather not risk the shipping to DC. Let me know how this new one arrives from the USPS.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:44:27 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
Whats the mention of this 24x40 ??? Has anyone known of any 24x40 legit posters ?? Even wildings?

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Mel did you buy any of the other styles of the Dark Shadows posters in the end?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Mel did you buy any of the other styles of the Dark Shadows posters in the end?

No, as far as I know he never sold anything other than the Eva Green and Johnny Depp face pics.

Non sequitur:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:08:21 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
Whats the mention of this 24x40 ??? Has anyone known of any 24x40 legit posters ?? Even wildings?

Who can solve this mystery?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Well like many others that have a place in the hall of shame .. it wouldn't be unprecedented if this seller sold some legit paper along with the fakes. Im not arguing that the Dark Shadows poster is real or not, I'm arguing that this seller sells fakes and cannot be trusted. :)

That would be the sane side of the debate.  ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »

Great question!

I have not seen any but I am a newbie at only three years in. Anyone with any real 10 year plus experience have any 24 x 40 posters that are legit?

Dealers do count a little but I am looking at collectors.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:31:21 PM by Zorba »