Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises 'Catwoman Snow' Poster  (Read 12349 times)

th3pr3stig3

The Dark Knight Rises 'Catwoman Snow' Poster
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Originally released on the French Facebook for the movie. A European poster, yet I don't know if they were ever released in theaters or ever officially released. If someone could clarify, and tell me whether or not originals can be purchased, it would be much appreciated.
Link: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/148723_314778268600198_1629744110_n.jpg

This is my first post, so hopefully I am in the correct section and have provided all the necessary information!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: The Dark Knight Rises 'Catwoman Snow' Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
The imaged linked has a .co.uk web URL at the bottom, I haven't seen anything in one sheet size that looks legit crop up for this in the UK on ebay. Bus shelter or banner maybe?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Those are very suspect. They have other 'Wildings' listed that were only used in the UK according to their auctions. It's absolutely untrue, but I imagine they're trying to trick people outside of the UK. Also if they are US 'Wildings', why does it say COMING SOON and not the release date? I imagine these are very high quality prints but not what the buyer thinks they are.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
PosterStoreUSA is hollywoodnoise, who has sold quite a few Dark Knight posters but has been controversial. 

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
I figured. I've looked at both inventories and they often say 'UK Subway poster', particularly for the Dark Knight Rises material and I can guarantee that no such material was ever produced. Shame really but they are very dubious indeed.

guest8

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
I would never trust anything from PosterStoreUSA!!!

As for this poster .. I believe I read somewhere it was used in foreign markets in large formats although Ive never seen one.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
The guy has connections to Warner.  I don't have any serious doubts that the Dark Shadows character poster - that nobody else has - that he sold to me is legit:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:02:19 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
Yeah my SS TDK joker poster looks great too .. except its only 24x40 .. It looks like he made enough money ripping people off that he could finally afford to make the full size 27x40 format now.

I'm surprised by you jumping in and speaking up for this guy Mel. What kind of proof has he offered you to make you believe that he has studio connections? Not to mention by now we all know that just because someone does have connections or they just claim to have studio connections they can very well be peddling fakes either way. Kind of like HG's Joker poster that he got from a studio pal that vouches for the poster but after a physical inspection many members on here feel its a high quality fake.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
I suggest that th3pr3stig3 email the guy and get his side of the story.  

No doubt anybody could take the movieposterdb.com image (which is 2333 pixels vertical), which I'm posting full-size below, and print up medium-quality 27x40 copies relatively cheap but the small text would be fuzzy and easily identified as a repro.  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:57:54 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

th3pr3stig3

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
 I will contact PosterStoreUSE/ hollywoodnoise, but can anyone attest to having seen any of the three 'Snow' posters in the 'wild'?

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:12:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure your Dark Shadows is a repro too. I spoke to him about them and he was vague to say the least. I asked him about some of the other styles and he said he could get them but when I enquired further he clammed up. I'd love to know the truth about these Dark Shadows and Dark Knight Rises posters but the information they supply in their listings is just wrong and it's very easy to get high res images of all these posters.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure your Dark Shadows is a repro too. I spoke to him about them and he was vague to say the least. I asked him about some of the other styles and he said he could get them but when I enquired further he clammed up. I'd love to know the truth about these Dark Shadows and Dark Knight Rises posters but the information they supply in their listings is just wrong and it's very easy to get high res images of all these posters.

Look, you gotta get the correct perspective on this.  I paid $30 for it and it is or soon will be worthless because it's a relatively obscure poster from a failed movie.  It's not worth any copier's time.  The text is razor sharp perfect down to the tiny tiniest letters and the exact same quality as the 1,200 original movie posters that I own.  By contrast the repros I've seen from the likes of MovieGoods and Tom Loce are a joke with obviously fuzzy text.   So, yeah, it is an original as far as I'm concerned and if it's not, who cares?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:37:34 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Well if you only collect in 2 specific areas as I do, (Tim Burton and Batman) then it matters. To be honest I don't care about cost, I'm not an investor and don't look for a return on what I buy. I do what it to be original though and I would expect answers to some very simple questions that this seller has refused to answer. Because of this we'll never know.

guest8

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »
I'm kind of shocked that Mel is so easily just accepting the word of this seller and defending them while I know for a fact that they sell fakes and claims that they are original studio issued posters (usually claiming that they are international wilding posters) What happened to the searching for the facts Mel? Not easy "Well its a cheap poster and I don't think it would be worth the time to print it so it must be real." defense. This seller is and has been capable of printing high quality fakes and if one is capable and has a high res image why not print up some $30 posters .. I mean it doesn't cost much to list them. Besides they make a mint on their other fake posters so if they only profit $10 off of your Dark Shadows poster Im sure they don't care .. that's $10 and I'd venture a guess you weren't the only one who bought one .. So that is $10x how-ever many buyers they got.

To me it is just common sense, this person is shady and sells fake posters. So if this seller has a poster/design that NO ONE ELSE ANYWHERE ELSE HAS. Why would you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have some insane studio connection that allows them access to posters that no one has or has ever seen outside of digital images online?

As for the crispness of the text, Im sure by now that you know that anyone can recreate text blocks. its actually easier to recreate text than it is trying to tweak an image to make the original text look clean. This seller duped me into spending $200+ back in '08 so obviously they have been doing this for a long long time now and Im sure they have skills and have this down to a science. Just assuming that it is too much trouble just because its too much "work" for you doesnt mean they can't pull this off easily and happily take your $10 donation to their paypal account along with the other 10 people they duped that day. Don't focus on the fact that they only made $10 off of you think of it from their perspective. If they con 10 people a day out of $10 (this is obviously not counting the posters that get way up there like my Joker poster that they were selling week after week for $200+) thats $100 a day.. Yours saying that an extra $500-700 a week isn't worth their time or trouble to recreate some text and print off some posters?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
I'm not accepting his word. All I can say is that he sold me what appears to be a legit character poster from Dark Shadows. 

As far as these specific wildings, the burden of proof is on you.

As a practical matter, it appears he sold 10 sets of those wildings and is not currently selling them. Fake sellers normally have unlimited supplies.

I have a DS set of the other three character set, so it's hardly surprising this set has been printed.

Also it is NOT easy or cheap to print perfect copies even from large digital images with recreated text. My local commercial copier charges $75 for a 150 dpi 27x40 poster and they are easily distinguishable from originals. 

guest8

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
That's what it costs you to get something printed. With as long as this seller has been around I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in the printing business and do this on the side as a healthy way to supplement income. I guess my overall point is this seller has been doing this for quite sometime and has be producing high quality fakes for most if not all of that time. So basing your opinion of how profitable it would be for you to go to Kinkos and sell a poster vs. what it may cost these "professionals" is apples and oranges IMHO.. To produce as many fakes as these sellers have, they have to be in the printing business or tied to it one way or another.. Maybe running prints after hours or they own the business. Like you said its too expensive to do a one poster here or there, especially never knowing if they are going to sell or not. Just because it would cost us too much money or is beyond our skill levels doesn't mean that its impossible or even improbable. All that proves to me is that this seller is a professional and this isn't just a hobby for them. And a seller that sells fakes and especially these "exclusive" posters that only they have access to screams red flag to me. It just seems to me that you used to dig for facts and base your opinions on those facts but in this case you're adding your own conjecture and making assumptions on cost vs profit and making a case for the seller and stating how they have to be originals just because in your opinion it doesn't make sense if they aren't.

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
OK, take this listing as an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DARK-KNIGHT-RISES-MOVIE-POSTERS-RARE-PAPER-BANNER-BANE-FACES-BATMAN-/221089812826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3379fad15a

The problems I have with it are:

(A) It's not the correct size for advertising on the Tube (Subway)
(B) We don't have Wilding posters on the Tube
(C) If we do I've been using the Tube almost everyday for 15 years and I've never seen one.
(D) Adverts on the actual Tube are printed on card.

All these things make be believe that the seller is pulling the wool over the eyes of people who don't live in the UK and makes me question other items they have listed.

Having said all that, your Dark Shadows looks superb!

One-Sheet

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
When I e-mailed posterstoreusa and asked about these posters, aside from being rude and condescending regarding my question in his e-mail by saying that if I can't tell how to spot a fake I shouldn't buy them, he said that he only had one set left... then I received an e-mail from him stating that the winning bidder was a known bad buyer and that he would be relisting his posters which he apparently did several weeks later.

Bottom line, I don't trust him.  He uses SEVERAL aliases including ezpostershopper_com on ebay.  I made the mistake of buying a Dark Knight style B poster from that alias which he sent with fingernail indentations from rolling, then said he would send a replacement, then told me to file an "item not as received" dispute with ebay, then refunded my payment, then sent me a payment request for the replacement poster.  I didn't bother.

No way would I ever deal with this guy again.  I don't trust him.

th3pr3stig3

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
One-Sheet, thank you for e-mailing posterstoreusa. I had not emailed them yet, but, from your interaction regarding TDKR posters, I will not be doing so any longer. From what I'm gathering, this set of 'Snow' images was never released to theaters, and from this point on I suppose I'll be looking for a decently-priced reprint!

One-Sheet

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »
Found the e-mail from him regarding my question about the source of these:

Hello, as you can see by your search there is not alot of original DKR available.
This a question a get and I most often say if you don't know how to tell the difference from
an original from a copy yourself. I would not recommend anyone to purchase.
As for giving up information how I got them and where is my source.
That is confidental. Sorry I couldn't be of help.
I just don't know what to tell you.

- hollywoodnoise

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
I'd trust Mel's sense after seeing it in person, above and beyond all else.  Sometimes, you just know whether it is or it's not, based on actually having the poster in hand.  Mel's been doing this long enough that I would trust his assessment about it.

I'm not accepting his word. All I can say is that he sold me what appears to be a legit character poster from Dark Shadows. 

As far as these specific wildings, the burden of proof is on you.

As a practical matter, it appears he sold 10 sets of those wildings and is not currently selling them. Fake sellers normally have unlimited supplies.

I have a DS set of the other three character set, so it's hardly surprising this set has been printed.

Also it is NOT easy or cheap to print perfect copies even from large digital images with recreated text. My local commercial copier charges $75 for a 150 dpi 27x40 poster and they are easily distinguishable from originals. 

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

One-Sheet

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
And how is it that only he has apparently obtained these rare posters and no one else is selling them and is shady when asked about his sources? 

If these were legit one-sheets or wildings there would be other legitimate sources available.

Think about it.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »
I'd like to know how the studios are printing movie posters nowadays.  Are they using offset lithography or are they using digital printing?  The digital prints I've seen - even from top-notch commercial printers - could never be mistaken for original movie posters.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:36:02 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
I have to say regardless of Mel's experience and knowledge I still don't think these are legit studio issued posters for the reasons I've already mentioned.

In my hunt for Dark Shadows material that I'd only seen as digital artwork I contacted the people responsible for printing them. I went down to the printers and was given some posters but I was told the ones I wanted hadn't been printed, however if I really wanted one they could print me one. It was a generous offer but I declined as it wouldn't have been studio issued.

Maybe these guys are in the printing business as has already been suggested and they have easy access to everything they need.

My issue is the information as to where/how these posters are used is incorrect and should be a red flag to even the most knowledgable of collectors.