Author Topic: The future of DVD and my dilemma  (Read 33092 times)

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
Re: The future of DVD and my dilemma
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »
My understanding is that the precious few VHSs which still fetch any money at all do so for the sake of the case, not the tape inside.  I have an original Fox PnS Star Wars set if anyone is interested. LOL.

Much of what has been said here resonates well with me.  I had started collecting VHS somewhat late, when DVD came out I dumped it all in one lump and collected DVD. This time around I didnt time it and the <100 I have left I cant seem to give away.

In retrospect we all probably should have waited for the inevitable HD format (though at the time we knew not what it would be) before doing any serious collecting.  Nice as DVD was, it looks like crap now, whereas I predict that 1080 line is "good enough" to be watchable at home for the foreseeable future (screens at home can only be so big, and even on the biggest 120incher 1080 looks marvelous).   4K might bring interpixel data rendering and higher color depth, but it wont make blu-ray look bad the way blu-ray has made us turn our backs on DVD.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:15:18 AM by Sunsanvil »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
Not quite sure I agree with some of this, I do buy Blu if at all possible, but a lot of my dvd's play great through the blu-ray player, and I have no intention of up-grading them. I watch my films on a 10 foot wide screen, so any faults are very apparent. Some Blu discs I have are not as good as the dvd versions, Curse of Frankenstein, and Brides of Dracula spring to mind, they are dreadful transfers on Blu disc. So my back is not turned on dvd at all, it all boils down the the source materials used, and some blu discs of late have been awful.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
I grant that every format over the decades has had its share of poor implementation, be it bad source material, ill advised manipulation of the footage, or (in the digital era) lousy encoding.  Blu-ray is no exception (classic example Lord of the Rings extended, due to the infamous green hue issue on Fellowship).  As well, I concede that a really good DVD on the Oppo is indeed most watchable on even mid sized screens.

For my part though, the precious few titles I have "re-bought" on BD have been worth it:  Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bridge of the River Kwai, the whole Bond collection, even Ben-Her come to mind.   I'd like to grab To Catch A Thief next time its on sale and see if, at long last, Carey Grant's striped shirt can be moiré free. The DVD is ok done but 480 lines just isn't enough for that shirt. :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
I do have To catch a Thief on BD and it's first rate, one of the better transfers, you won't be disappointed with it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Some here may appreciate this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/644154729/the-scarecrow-project

Scarecrow Video, one of the best video stores in the country, is trying to become a non-profit dedicated to the preservation of physical media.

A much, much better idea than the alternative...