Home Theater & Entertainment > General Discussion

The future of DVD and my dilemma

(1/6) > >>

Juli:
My DVD collection used to be 300 DVDs big. Over the last several months I have been selling off little by little for a few reasons: 1. I haven't watched most of my DVDs in a long time 2. The amount of money I can get for them is decreasing by the month. 3. They take up a lot of space.

I currently have 69 DVDs. They consist of my favorite movies and of movies I actually watch. I still feel this is too many DVDs. I know if I sold them right now I would get much more for them than if I sold them in a year from now. I have experienced that in April I could get $3 a DVD but now I can only get about $1-1.50 each. I know this is happening due to DVD format dying like VHS did a decade ago. Seeing as VHS sells for between 10-25 cents a piece (if they sell) my collection of 69 DVDs could be worth as little as $7 or $17.25 in a year from now if I am lucky. Not to mention VHS is a tough sell so I would have a difficult time unloading my collection too if I waited.

Problem is I really like the DVDs I have and I like the feeling of owning my favorite movies and being able to watch them whenever I feel like it. I am aware a new format (likely a digital format) will soon replace DVD and it will go the way of VHS. Problem is I will no longer have use for the old format movies when the new format takes over as I will much more likely prefer watching my favorite movies that new way.

I used to have my movies on VHS then when DVD took over I much preferred DVD so I replaced them with it. I had to spend a lot of money buying the new DVD format and when I sold the VHS tapes I was lucky to get $1 each for them at the time. Now you can't even give VHS away it seems. I don't like the thought that I will only be able to get a few dollars for my DVD collection when I replace them with the new format. However, I also want to be able to own my favorite movies the whole time. I don't like the thought that when the new format takes over I will have to rebuy my whole collection again and spend lots of money.

I did consider maybe having them transferred to a hard drive or something that I could hook up to my TV and watch when desired. However, I learned this doesn't really exist and you need them on your computer. The computer I have is small and I rarely use it now that I have an iPad.

What do you guys do about DVD? Do you still own them or do you have them on your computer? What do you think I should do?

Juli

jayn_j:
I will answer the question differently.  I still own 600 laserdiscs.  I buy new material on BluRay and am slowly replacing the laserdiscs, but I generally do not replace the DVDs with BluRay unless the title is both technically head and shoulders above and it is also one of my favorite 25 movies.  For example, I now own Singin in the Rain in all three formats, but most of the harry Potter series is in DVD (6 and both 7s are in BR).  I recently replaced 12 Angry Men from laserdisc to BluRay.  If the movie is decent, you will get absorbed and ignore the quality.

The point is that if you enjoy the movies and watch them semi-regularly, why not hang onto them.  I know you are cash strapped right now, but the whole lot won't get you $50 these days.

Louie D.:
I have a HUGE list of DVD's for sale which I posted about over here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4088.0.html

still selling as many as I can.  Just started to acquire them and kept going nuts, now I have more than I'll ever watch so they have to go.  PM me if you want a list of what I have for sale, no reasonable off refused!!!

Juli:
So I have decided I am going to sell everything except my top 25 favorite movies and Band of Brothers miniseries. I figure this won't take up as much space.

enki:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version