Author Topic: TV posters  (Read 84204 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

TV posters
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
Weeds (reduced from original size) - never seen this show but liked the image:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: TV posters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
what's the size?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
They sent me the wrong banner, so I reduced it from a 5ft banner to fit a 23x35 frame.  

The seller is supposed to send me the one I wanted in the first place:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
Does anybody know the deal on 27x40 TV posters?   I picked up six last night from this seller on Ebay to start a TV poster collection.   

The 27x40 posters are very uncommon on Ebay and apparently are NOT intended for the commercial poster market.  (The 24x36 posters are very common by contrast). 

Has anybody seen this size posted anywhere?  I'm thinking they must be posted in malls or even movie theaters as advertisements.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Both, Mel, but mostly for placement in movie theaters.  That's why I collect a lot of them, from the theater ad standpoint.  The lost posters are cool, especially the collage-type one.  Both are pricey.  Now, I need to know what that woman does with the snake?!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
Two rare British commercial posters (25.25 x 35) from the one of the greatest TV series ever just arrived:

I also have this one:

I still need this - if anybody has it and is willing to part with it:

The website "lynchposters.com" shows the complete collection from Twin Peaks.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Great stuff, Mel.  They are absolutely beautiful!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
Does anybody know the deal on 27x40 TV posters?   I picked up six last night from this seller on Ebay to start a TV poster collection.   

The 27x40 posters are very uncommon on Ebay and apparently are NOT intended for the commercial poster market.  (The 24x36 posters are very common by contrast). 

Has anybody seen this size posted anywhere?  I'm thinking they must be posted in malls or even movie theaters as advertisements.

They are mainly used for wilding (Malls included under the out-of-home category) and internal and external promotions (I used to get a bunch through local stations while working in an Ad Agency), hence the reason they are nearly always single-sided. 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
A long time can go by before..

from season 1.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:17:26 PM »
A long time can go by before..

from season 1.

Well, if you see another let me know... Brian has always been the best part of that show.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
if you show me a HILL STREET BLUES poster I will be jealous.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
Anybody have any 27x40 Game of Thrones TV posters?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
Anybody have any 27x40 Game of Thrones TV posters?

Yes, and so does Jon/Joneyyy
Still haven't seen a 27x40 for Season 2...just some larger vinyls and duratrans...

the chip guy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
did they do a legit 27x40 for all of these?

or is there just a Ned/throne version?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:32 AM »

Not exactly a TV poster, but a poster for a video release of a TV series.....counts right?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:28:34 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »
did they do a legit 27x40 for all of these?

or is there just a Ned/throne version?

Thanks,
Jon

To the best of my knowledge, no.
Just the one.

guest8

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
Anyone that may have an extra poster for Season one of GoT's shot me a PM !!

Has anyone seen any actual posters for season 2 yet? I thought they be out in full force by now .. doesnt the show start tomorrow?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/11/arts/television/brian-sanders-creates-mad-men-poster-for-new-season.html

‘Mad Men’ Draws On an Original

In the five seasons that “Mad Men” has been on television that celebrated series set in the art-directed world of 1960s advertising has never marketed itself the way a ’60s ad man most certainly would have: by calling in a hotshot illustrator to do the job.

But as the show prepared for its new season, which begins April 7, its creator, Matthew Weiner, inspired by a childhood memory of lush, painterly illustrations on T.W.A. flight menus, decided to turn back the promotional clock. He pored over commercial illustration books from the 1960s and ’70s and sent images to the show’s marketing team, which couldn’t quite recreate the look he was after.

“Finally,” he said, “they just looked up the person who had done all these drawings that I really loved, and they said: ‘Hey, we’ve got the guy who did them. And he’s still working. His name is Brian Sanders.’ ”

Which explains how a 75-year-old illustrator living outside of Cambridge, England — highly regarded in his own country but little known in the United States — came to create the image that beginning this week will be emblazoned on buses, billboards, magazine pages, Web sites and TV. The ad, depicting Don Draper, the show’s lead character, in a vertiginous pose on a New York City street corner that seems to be collapsing on him like the decade he is living in, looks as if it has time-traveled from the pages of an old copy of Reader’s Digest.....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
Outstanding!
Thanks for posting this one, Mel.
 cheers

ps.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/11/arts/television/brian-sanders-creates-mad-men-poster-for-new-season.html

‘Mad Men’ Draws On an Original

In the five seasons that “Mad Men” has been on television that celebrated series set in the art-directed world of 1960s advertising has never marketed itself the way a ’60s ad man most certainly would have: by calling in a hotshot illustrator to do the job.

But as the show prepared for its new season, which begins April 7, its creator, Matthew Weiner, inspired by a childhood memory of lush, painterly illustrations on T.W.A. flight menus, decided to turn back the promotional clock. He pored over commercial illustration books from the 1960s and ’70s and sent images to the show’s marketing team, which couldn’t quite recreate the look he was after.

“Finally,” he said, “they just looked up the person who had done all these drawings that I really loved, and they said: ‘Hey, we’ve got the guy who did them. And he’s still working. His name is Brian Sanders.’ ”

Which explains how a 75-year-old illustrator living outside of Cambridge, England — highly regarded in his own country but little known in the United States — came to create the image that beginning this week will be emblazoned on buses, billboards, magazine pages, Web sites and TV. The ad, depicting Don Draper, the show’s lead character, in a vertiginous pose on a New York City street corner that seems to be collapsing on him like the decade he is living in, looks as if it has time-traveled from the pages of an old copy of Reader’s Digest.....

love the poster...love the show.

in my mad men circles, it was pointed out that the drawing was somewhat of re-rendering of a work that Sanders had done in 1964. i do love the don draper in the grey especially.

for comparison:

Bruce

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »
love the poster...love the show.

in my mad men circles, it was pointed out that the drawing was somewhat of re-rendering of a work that Sanders had done in 1964. i do love the don draper in the grey especially.

for comparison:

I thought that up until the last season it was the best show I had ever seen.

I thought last season was a giant step down. Less money, fewer characters, more sex, few references to the mid-1960s, etc, etc.

Still about as good as anything else on, just not what it had been.

ps.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »

I thought last season was a giant step down. Less money, fewer characters, more sex, few references to the mid-1960s, etc, etc.

last season did seem to straddle the line at times between being an emmy-winning drama and a glorified soap opera...several of the plot lines were way too contrived, and i'm not a big fan of the whole 'don's secret past' element that they seem insistent on returning to.

i'm not sure how many seasons they've got left, but i anticipate that there is only so much of an irrelevant don draper that i'll be able to take once we hit the seventies... i've always liked the show best when it centered around the office.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »

It's a once great show that is still capable of great episodes.

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
I agree with both of you. A lot of last season could have been a 2013 soap opera, and that is exactly opposite of what the show once was.

But obviously, sex sells, and a show about an ad agency didn't sell well enough, so we can expect to see even more sexy soap opera, and less ad agency.

And I imagine having sets and clothes that perfectly reflect the year proved to be too expensive too.

It DOES still have flashes of brilliance, though, and IS better than almost all of what is on TV, but that is kind of sad.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »