Author Topic: how much would you go to  (Read 12737 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: how much would you go to
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
Remember that these guys are vets, have established relationships and know which dealers are which.

This is true.  But, I started from nowhere, knowing no one.  At that time, I did buy a lot on ebay, and most of what I bought at that time really sucked.  But, that was the "cutting my teeth" time.  I started to learn what I liked.  I then started looking at dealer stock.  Over the years, I built the relationships. 

I think on APF you can help beat the learning curve, though.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »

I think on APF you can help beat the learning curve, though.

Absolutely! Has helped me a lot and still helps me every day. Im still very much a newb at just over three years in.

The knowledge is here.

Ask any and all questions. I just pmed a member a question yesterday. I do it all the time. No such thing as a stupid question.

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
no i see well, in people collections, y'all got like 2 grand Worth (dealer prices) in like one pic thread..

Yeah but we only paid $300 for them...  If you can get them cheap then yeah...  Most stuff comes around on eBay at least once a year starting and ending for half or less than what a dealer would ask for...  

For example: Say an Alamo (60') half sheet

eBay - $61
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-The-Alamo-Half-Sheet-Movie-Poster-Original-Excellent-Condition-/140798903936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c844c680

Bruce - $174
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5780546.html

Retail - $140
http://www.fffmovieposters.com/poster_detail.php?sku=4489

Retail - $575
http://www.cvtreasures.com/vintage-movie-posters-western-movie-posters-c-66_77/john-wayne-alamo-western-movie-poster-half-sheet-p-1780

Charlie

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
from personal experience, I get nearly everything from "dealers". Build a relationship, you'll get better prices, personal service, 1st (or early) dibs on things that you collect. Get things put aside, talk shop, make friends, its all win.

Also never hesitate to tell a dealer what you will pay for something and see if he'll take it...  For example I made a recent transaction where a dealer continually listed a poster for $675 or more and then would fluctuate up and down by $100... After watching it for six months and the fluctuations I figured the guy might be ready to move it... I offered in $375 and he took it...  And don't shy away if there is no best offer button either. Send him an e-mail.

Steven11788

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
OH dear JESUS, don't say that to Amber, we have 2 as pets, she loves em more than me, lol i figured they would be common of there, hell the do look like they got some meat on em. Guess they are as common as a skink is over here,

and yea, outside of  few newer quads, I am putting it back, may get that vampyres linen backed,been wanting that done for ever. not sure if you have craigslist over there, but i did find a nice score, well the one of the year, for like 200.00 bucks.. selling most except the holy grail... Don't go in the woods alone.
putting the money back for the bigguns

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
As you are 'young' and we are old - here's a tip. Pay cash - that way you will only ever pay what you can afford.
David

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
from personal experience, I get nearly everything from "dealers". Build a relationship, you'll get better prices, personal service, 1st (or early) dibs on things that you collect. Get things put aside, talk shop, make friends, its all win.

spew
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Steven11788

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »
As you are 'young' and we are old - here's a tip. Pay cash - that way you will only ever pay what you can afford.

The longest credit line i have had, was telling an ebay dealer to what 2 weeks till i got paid.. lol the only credit i would open is if i found a Godzilla KOM,, for under 500.00 lol

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
I've bought from dealers a couple times, only regretted one buy that I ironically later found cheaper on another dealers site. Because the stuff I like never shows up on the auction websites or eBay, so I really haven't had much of a choice, unless I wanted to wait and look everyday.  Frankly having it now to enjoy is worth paying a little bit more than spending hours a week searching especially for the stuff I'm interested in which usually doesn't exceed a couple hundred dollars anyway.  And recently I've found dealers actually have some better deals compared to what the same items end up selling for on emovie.

eh... maybe with in store purchases.  Buying online always use a credit card, especially when using Paypal, if you ever get stiffed you're more likely to recover your funds through the credit card company.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:10:41 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Steven11788

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
Also never hesitate to tell a dealer what you will pay for something and see if he'll take it...  For example I made a recent transaction where a dealer continually listed a poster for $675 or more and then would fluctuate up and down by $100... After watching it for six months and the fluctuations I figured the guy might be ready to move it... I offered in $375 and he took it...  And don't shy away if there is no best offer button either. Send him an e-mail.

hey sorry i didnt see yours till know, yea Charlie  about 6 months ago i got a few posters from one seller, asking if i got em all, would he give me a group price.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
OH dear JESUS, don't say that to Amber, we have 2 as pets, she loves em more than me, lol i figured they would be common of there, hell the do look like they got some meat on em. Guess they are as common as a skink is over here,

and yea, outside of  few newer quads, I am putting it back, may get that vampyres linen backed,been wanting that done for ever. not sure if you have craigslist over there, but i did find a nice score, well the one of the year, for like 200.00 bucks.. selling most except the holy grail... Don't go in the woods alone.
putting the money back for the bigguns

I was kidding about eating them, dont worry.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Steven11788

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
haha, its oks,  i like em, but if we were starving they'd be the first to go, lol

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: how much would you go to...
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
If you buy older pieces, check what dealers are selling them for and never spend more than half of that price.

T

I like this formula.  sm1

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
It is extremely accurate.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »

T

And depending on the dealer, that number may be greater than 50%.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
And depending on the dealer, that number may be greater than 50%.

and if is the last piece you need to complete something, it might be 100%.  Always exceptions.

I have gotten some very good deals from dealers where the piece wasn't up to their quality or where it didn't fit with what they sell.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »

T

I think this speaks more to the sucky dealer syndrome, many of which seem to be in California. With the exception of Dan Strebin no CA dealer comes to mind that prices less than 200% FMV.
When I was dealing I used to regularly pay 60-80% of what I thought my selling price would be for good material (probably why dealers at Cinevent and other shows used to love seeing me come by).

Never understood the mentality that is you think poster X is a legitimate $XXXX piece, why would your best offer for it only be 25-33% of that price?
Put your money where your mouth is.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
I think this speaks more to the sucky dealer syndrome, many of which seem to be in California. With the exception of Dan Strebin no CA dealer comes to mind that prices less than 200% FMV.
When I was dealing I used to regularly pay 60-80% of what I thought my selling price would be for good material (probably why dealers at Cinevent and other shows used to love seeing me come by).

Never understood the mentality that is you think poster X is a legitimate $XXXX piece, why would your best offer for it only be 25-33% of that price?
Put your money where your mouth is.

Some good questions, but there are some other factors.  We are not the folks dealers typically sell to.  We are kind of halfway between a wholesale and a retail market in that our material gets conserved and eventually comes back into the market.  Dealers tend to sell to non-collectors.  A piece then becomes part of room decor and when someone gets tired of that, it gets trashed or sold on the garage sale circuit.  Basically, once a dealer sells an item, it may be gone forever.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
Some good questions, but there are some other factors.  We are not the folks dealers typically sell to.  We are kind of halfway between a wholesale and a retail market in that our material gets conserved and eventually comes back into the market.  Dealers tend to sell to non-collectors.  A piece then becomes part of room decor and when someone gets tired of that, it gets trashed or sold on the garage sale circuit.  Basically, once a dealer sells an item, it may be gone forever.

I would counter tho, that pricey posters that are sold by dealers like Dominique Besson or Benito are not likely to be trashed or sold for a few dollars at a garage sale. If so... I wanna know where that dumpster is located or garage sale is going to be held.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:21:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff