Author Topic: Australian Vs American  (Read 152108 times)

guest4208

Re: Australian Vs American
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
That's nice, John.

sm1

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I do like the Australian daybill for this title but here is the American version for comparison courtesy of Heritage ...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I do like the Australian daybill for this title but here is the American version for comparison courtesy of Heritage ...

Someone could pretty easily recreate this as a lead light window.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Ari!  Odd!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:28 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Ari!  Odd!

Not odd, synergy, our daybills create a special aura that transcends mere barriers of land and sea,

Also tea leaves read $20 cash only.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2012, 01:41:30 AM »
Not odd, synergy, our daybills create a special aura that transcends mere barriers of land and sea,

Also tea leaves read $20 cash only.

I always suspected there was something otherworldly about those 13x30 pieces of beautiful paper
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
House On Haunted Hill (Allied Artists, 1959):

3 sheet comparison

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
Sidewalks Of New York (MGM, 1931):

The Aus OS (left) used the same Hirschfeld art as the US OS but pumped up the color:

The African Queen (UA, 1952):

Murder, My Sweet (RKO, 1944):

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:26:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
I'm *fresh-picked-right-off-the-vine* new here and I've already worked out crowzilla is wrong.  Does that make me a regular?   

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
I'm *fresh-picked-right-off-the-vine* new here and I've already worked out crowzilla is wrong.  Does that make me a regular?   

Welcome - I dunno if it makes you a regular yet but it might go a long way towards ingratiating yourself to certain collectors ;)
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
The coup de grace.

The silver bullet that silences the monster.

The fatal torpedo skimming over the waves.

A nation's collective sigh as Godzilla's thorny crown sinks into the bubbles ...

Silence.

The US poster is obviously a re-issue as the portrait of Judy is taken from "Meet Me in St Louis" - a movie she did five years later. You can see the hairstyle is identical - she also looked a lot more pudgier in the face when she did OZ, so no real comparison.

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
Welcome - I dunno if it makes you a regular yet but it might go a long way towards ingratiating yourself to certain collectors ;)

Hello CSM - I was wondering if we would ever meet!!! I have been lurking for weeks now - you always crack me up, as does this shot of Dracula.  ;D

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
The US poster is obviously a re-issue as the portrait of Judy is taken from "Meet Me in St Louis" - a movie she did five years later. You can see the hairstyle is identical - she also looked a lot more pudgier in the face when she did OZ, so no real comparison.

Oops, just realised the OZ Oz poster is a reissue too, my bad!!!!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2013, 11:09:11 PM »
Welcome aboard SFS.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
Hello CSM - I was wondering if we would ever meet!!! I have been lurking for weeks now - you always crack me up, as does this shot of Dracula.  ;D

It's actually Murder Legendre the Zombie master but you can just call him Mr. Legendre or Mr. Murder if you like...
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
Welcome aboard SFS.

Hiya Ari. Wow, I must commend you - I don't know how you have the courage and strength to post after crowzilla's attacks on you. He/she/it is obviously a very important person indeed and your lack of reverence for he/she/its viewpoints could be construed as treason.  :o

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »
It's actually Murder Legendre the Zombie master but you can just call him Mr. Legendre or Mr. Murder if you like...

I''ve only seen him in "Dracula" and then in "The Wolf Man" and "The Body Snatchers" - he didn't age well like some horror icons, unfortunately, and while "Dracula" has that static quality and agonizing pacing, he is still great in it. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
Hiya Ari. Wow, I must commend you - I don't know how you have the courage and strength to post after crowzilla's attacks on you. He/she/it is obviously a very important person indeed and your lack of reverence for he/she/its viewpoints could be construed as treason.  :o

Ari don't take offal from no one!
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
Ari don't take offal from no one!

Good on Ari; I must admit to being biased as I agree with almost everything Ari says and NOTHING that crowzilla has spouted but as I'm usually right, I'm guessing Ari is too. :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
Hahaha good lord, I like this person.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
Hahaha good lord, I like this person.

Yes it's quite a philosophy - one that will fit right in
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
I think the Richardson's are an unfair comparison...they will generally kick any other posters butt that is out there.. :)

Why are they an unfair comparison? If Americans are going to give examples of the best of their poster art, why shouldn't Australians?

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
My name is Oblivious, and I am winning...

vs.

Australia definitely produced some fine daybills, and especially when left to their own devices and not copy the US artwork, many times they are great (like Things to Come, or the great Casablanca Mel put up).
But when they directly copy full color US artwork from the 40s-60s, I find that the comparisons usually fall short like the one aboce.
But that's what makes collecting so great, we can't all collect the same things.

Jees, next you'll be saying you prefer soup cans in your cupboard to an Andy Warhol painting   :o

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
What I like best about the above comparison Sean was making is the Aussie reluctance to use the word 'terror.'
I mean the Aussie artwork pales in comparison, but then the title jerk?  That's the icing on the cake.
 wynk

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
What I like best about the above comparison Sean was making is the Aussie reluctance to use the word 'terror.'
I mean the Aussie artwork pales in comparison, but then the title jerk?  That's the icing on the cake.
 wynk

Easily explanable: we don't have "terror" in Australia - we leave that to the Americans. However we do have dangers, especially in our oceans - why don't you go swimming off our shores some time? A creature of your girth would attract any number of dangerous sea life.

BTW, what is a "title jerk"? Is it like what you call beef jerky? 

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Easily explanable: we don't have "terror" in Australia - we leave that to the Americans. However we do have dangers, especially in our oceans - why don't you go swimming off our shores some time? A creature of your girth would attract any number of dangerous sea life.

BTW, what is a "title jerk"? Is it like what you call beef jerky? 

No, Australia's censors have problems with words like 'terror' or images of cleavage, thighs, etc.
We got over that years ago.
I used the word 'jerk' as in 'knee-jerk' reaction to the scary 'terror' word that so easily frightened the aforementioned censors.