Author Topic: Hungarian posters  (Read 19756 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Hungarian posters
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
I'm having a real hard time finding an Hungarian poster store, or anyone selling Hungarian posters for that matter.  I was told by a museum in Budapest that it is still illegal to sell posters in Hungary.  Can anyone confirm that?  Does anyone have access to them?

Thanks,

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

linder1

Re: Hungarian posters
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
I think that is indeed real about it being illegal to sell them.

From what I hear they are indeed very tough to get even when you are there on the ground.  This is in contrast to Ukraine, for example, where I can walk into a movie theater, ask to buy whatever i want and get it in about 5 minutes.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
Do you know why they would be illegal?  Maybe during the Red Army oppression, but today?

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Juli

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
That's interesting. I didn't know it was illegal to sell movie posters in Hungary - I bet if any escaped they would be very pricey.

~ Juli

linder1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
For my own sanity and safety, I try not to ask why when in eastern Europe.

Seriously though, I have no clue why it would be illegal or if this is just a rumor.  I've never been to Hungary but I have heard this.

The Hungarian Star Wars posters (as an example) are amongst the rarest and priciest out there, at least for the foreign / semi-abstract material.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
This is my MOST WANTED.  If anyone has access to them, I have MONEY to spend.

Sorry for being abrasive, but I really want to find a source.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
You and me both Thierry.....crazy Magyars!  I am relegated to collecting jpg's of Hungarian material.  That is almost as difficult as finding the posters themselves.  I sure would love to have one of these, but good effing luck.

Schan

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

wonka

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
You want this one, Thierry? 
Sold for $700 last year.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
haha, that isnt the one Ben, but it is a great Star Wars poster.  If I knew where one was Thierry, I would get it for you, but your guess is as good as mine.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

wonka

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
Wow, crazy find Bruce.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
Hmmmm, I suspect there was a deleted post here.  If the topic was that Die Hard currently on Bruce's auction, Helmut had one up for months on ebay at $125.  It is one of the few Hungarian pieces I have seen that I don't really like.  Every time I see it, I cant help but think "dickhead"
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
This is just getting stupid. Jeannie, are you deleting Bruce's posts? If not, who is? What's the deal.

kauaitx

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »

No, not I.  It would seem that I am not the only moderator who sees a problem with Bruce continuing to advertise his auctions in the main poster discussion threads.

If Bruce doesn't want this to continue to be a problem, all he has to do is post a picture of the poster being discussed, like everyone else would, rather than posting a link to his auction of that poster.

Jeannie

Carson

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
Truthfully, it's not Bruce's posts that are the problem, Jeannie. I know no moderator who has remotely the concern you do regarding Bruce's posts. It's no coincidence you don't see Chad, Schan, Cj or myself editing or warning others along side you. I'll pick this up in the off topic section. Sorry to disrupt this thread.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
I don't think she deleted it.  Neither did I.  I think we have a ghost....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
No, not I.  It would seem that I am not the only moderator who sees a problem with Bruce continuing to advertise his auctions in the main poster discussion threads.

If Bruce doesn't want this to continue to be a problem, all he has to do is post a picture of the poster being discussed, like everyone else would, rather than posting a link to his auction of that poster.

Jeannie

But, to be sure, I don't have a problem posting a link, but links annoy the shit out of me.  I'd prefer that an image be posted, even if the image also includes a link.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »
You want this one, Thierry? 
Sold for $700 last year.

Those Star Wars Hungarian posters are my favorites for the franchise, just ahead of the Russian ones.  But, it should be known that the originals were monochrome rather than color like the one posted.  Those color ones, though much nicer looking were either reissue or rerelease posters (not sure which).
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
Have a trio of new Hungarians on the way.  I won't spill the beans, but will post pictures when I get them. 

I will say that they aren't overly earth shattering in terms of title and really even artwork, but they are certainly designs that no one has ever seen before.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
And I HATE YOU!
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »
And I HATE YOU!

hey fucker, you dont even know what they are.  for all you know, its 2 scott pilgrim variants and a sarah jesica parker sex and the city character poster with some hungarian text.  just for that, I am going to send you a rolled up rolled up ET poster packed full of dog turds.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »
I know your taste.  I expect the best.
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 02:06:50 AM »
I know your taste.  I expect the best.

like I said, nothing mind blowing.  The art is pretty cool and unique, but the quality and desirability of the titles leaves a lot to be desired.  One of them is mediocre film wise but fairly well known.  Another is mediocre and not well known at all.  The third is a great film, but very obscure.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
As promised....

Buck and the Preacher

Sacco & Vanzetti -- Great Italian political drama

Sugarland Express
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
I don't recommend poster dealers very often, but if you like those elusive Hungarian posters, I strongly recommend dealing with Adam Varkonyl at The Budapest Poster Gallery.  A great guy and extremely helpful.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:48 PM »
Thanks for the link, T.  There's a lot of groovy stuff there.