Author Topic: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors  (Read 50148 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
My wife's step-brother is visiting from out of state with his family.  Big war buff.  The Hurt Locker, that was him.  Two tours of duty in Iraq. 

Anyhow, he had no idea I collected posters and showed some real interest in the few pieces I showed him.  As a thank you for his interest, I gave him absolute mint copies of Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator and Braveheart.  He was so happy.  Now he wants to build a light box.  A new collector, maybe?

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
Splendid stuff.

You sew the seeds and the trees grow...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2018, 08:14:22 PM »
Well, I gave him some cheap stuff, so nothing too exciting, but his excitement was.  Made it worthwhile.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »
That's awesome T
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest4955

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
My wife's step-brother is visiting from out of state with his family.  Big war buff.  The Hurt Locker, that was him.  Two tours of duty in Iraq. 

Anyhow, he had no idea I collected posters and showed some real interest in the few pieces I showed him.  As a thank you for his interest, I gave him absolute mint copies of Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator and Braveheart.  He was so happy.  Now he wants to build a light box.  A new collector, maybe?

thumbsup.gif

T

guest4955

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »
My pal Nick's 50th bday is in two weeks so I got crafty and resourceful. I recently got this Italian locadina - in English curiously - and am gifting it (with MY sig):

His wifey Casey wrote me and proclaimed it a "Cooooooool!" idea. blowingkiss.gif

Nick (4th right) and me (3rd right) - I was his best man in 1995! First and only time "feeling the breeze"!

guest4955

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »
"It’ll go in our tv/entertainment room and we’ll see it daily! Can’t wait….. And I like that the poster will be a continuing reminder of why we got married and the happiness of that day."

Response by cousin's new wife Nicole to late wedding gift (LB'd by Poster Mountain, minor touch-up awaits):

guest4955

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
So I lucked into a 40x60 for $75 shipped:

My pal/ex-colleague is an INSANE music fan:
- has attended 1000+ music concerts/events
- has a ginormous synthesizer
- plays guitar
- had several thousand physical LPs/CDs

So I'm not surprised he wants:

guest4955

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
NOBODY LIKES MOVIE POSTERS!  devil 2

Well mebbe. You don't want to overshare your esoteric hobby - gardening, soccer, NASCAR, whatev - on somebody with "less than zero interest" in the subject.

BUT it's fine to occasionally mention MPs to others - and sometimes they get intrigued.

My wild brilliant college pal Bob - who started www.Geotoys.shop, an erudite toy company - exhibited zero interest in MPs so I rarely mentioned them.

But I was quite surprised when he mentioned he was buying a new house ... and asked about decorating with international MPs. So I ran some of my unloved MPs and donated the ones he wanted to him, bc no way he would make time to buy them on eBay for himself.

Not bad choices on his part:

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
i would have asked for your sullivan's travels

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »
I'm playing a dangerous game.  I've been doing major construction to my house since last November, and our contractor hasn't asked for a penny yet.  I'm talking structural work downstairs, steel beams to support the second story, new kitchen, new hardwood floors, on and on.  We owe him a lot. 

A month ago, he discovered that I collect movie posters and we've been talking movies ever since.  He now loves posters and wants posters, so I've been gifting him a few posters in the hope that he knocks a few thousands off the bill.  Wishful thinking, probably  ;D  We'll see.  Last week was a Japanese Godfather B0, this week is a Star Wars D and the Dark Knight "Why So Serious".  All posters I have multiple of, so nothing taken from my collection.  It may be for nothing, though, but worth the try.

T
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:09:20 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2019, 12:25:59 AM »
I'm playing a dangerous game.  I've been doing major construction to my house since last November, and our contractor hasn't asked for a penny yet.  I'm talking structural work downstairs, steel beams to support the second story, new kitchen, new hardwood floors, on and on.  We owe him a lot. 

A month ago, he discovered that I collect movie posters and we've been talking movies ever since.  He now loves posters and wants posters, so I've been gifting him a few posters in the hope that he knocks a few thousands off the bill.  Wishful thinking, probably  ;D  We'll see.  Last week was a Japanese Godfather B0, this week is a Star Wars D and the Dark Knight "Why So Serious".  All posters I have multiple of, so nothing taken from my collection.  It may be for nothing, though, but worth the try.

T

An interesting roll of the dice, T.  If nothing else, a fun tip for a job well done, eh?  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2019, 12:31:24 AM »
An interesting roll of the dice, T.  If nothing else, a fun tip for a job well done, eh?  Okie

He's taken a few Cuban cigars too ;) 

And he has a list of posters he wants me to get for him.  One of them would be a least 2 grand, if I can find it.  That's when my wife said no more.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2019, 04:00:25 AM »
He hasn't even asked for any up-front materials costs??

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
Nothing.  Since November.  And we’re talking 6 figures ++.  He keeps saying don’t worry about it, don’t worry about it, but we keep adding to the tab.  I’m a little worried.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2019, 08:22:41 PM »
Not to be grim, but I would be worried if I were you.  I've had several houses renovated over the years (and I'm currently renovating a couple of apartments in Manhattan), and it's highly unusual for a contractor not to give you an update on where things stand budget-wise.  This is especially true when doing structural work, as those situations always end up either taking more time or costing more than initially anticipated.

Also, unless you have specifically discussed receiving a discount from him in exchange for giving him some movie posters, I would think it is wishful thinking on your part to expect that he will deduct a few thousand off your final invoice.  I think it's time for a frank and open conversation before you go further along with this.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2019, 10:54:35 PM »
All good points.

We didn't get him out of nowhere, though.  He's worked for a very close friend of ours (who recommended him) and did the exact same thing.  He came in 10% above his original quote, which is totally fine to me.  I'd expect 20% since we added a bunch of stuff.  And the posters, well, a Dark Knight is not going to make or break anything ;)  We're not talking expensive stuff here, so I'm okay to let them go for nothing.  And it's not for nothing.  I got a few tequilas with him and enjoyed some good movie talk.  But you're right, I need a little more than a good talk if I'm going to gift him the more expensive stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 03:09:40 AM »
Novocaine, with Steve Martin, to my dentist, last week

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
Novocaine, with Steve Martin, to my dentist, last week

Good choice, Richie.  Is it the version with Steve Martin looking in the mouth?  Novovaine sure beats restraints and whiskey, eh? Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »
Give us a poster pic, Rich!  :D

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:40 PM »
Good choice, Richie.  Is it the version with Steve Martin looking in the mouth?  Novovaine sure beats restraints and whiskey, eh? Okie

no I don't have that poster, but this one, he looks like my dentist. he thought it was a real laugh

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/Novocaine-Poster.jpg/220px-Novocaine-Poster.jpg

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
no I don't have that poster, but this one, he looks like my dentist. he thought it was a real laugh

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/Novocaine-Poster.jpg/220px-Novocaine-Poster.jpg

Hi Richie,  That's funny that they look alike.  When you're sedated do you ever hear Steve Martin's voice reminiscing about Bernadette or Victoria?  Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2019, 11:12:50 PM »
I don't need sendation

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2019, 09:58:53 PM »
I don't need sendation

Ha!  Good one.  Okie