Author Topic: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors  (Read 50155 times)

guest4531

Re: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
I have a friend who is a big fan of the French movies called "The Gendarme" with the iconic Louis Funes. 

She is a real big fan and we always laughed about it as these movies are really mainstream cheapness...

Then, few years ago (I usually return to France for a month every two years), I gave the French poster of "Gendarmes et les gendarmettes" (medium size).
A nice poster if you ask me :)  And cheap !! 

guest4955

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
You can almost never go wrong giving an MP with the same name as the recipient.

My neighbor "Claudia" just "loved" this one, framed it too:

Yep, she was a cute blondie IRL too.....

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
I suggested giving Cindy this poster for her 30th birthday.  She was not amused.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
I wouldnt want a yellow, wagging finger, either  ;D (I'm still seeing this when images are hotlinked in posts, for some reason).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:33:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »
I suggested giving Cindy this poster for her 30th birthday.  She was not amused.
[img[/img]http://

Lovely, Jayn J  bed1

Who would reject it  ;D

guest4955

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
My 2yo nephew Jude is obsessed with Cars, my sis says he's watched it many times. He rarely relinquishes one of the movie toys.

So this being the 2nd day of Christmas, I bought him 3 Cars MPs, inc.:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
I'm giving a Revenge of the Jedi poster to my brother-in-law for Christmas.  He's not a poster collector, but he wants classic 80s movies on the wall of his home theater.  Last year, he got the Ghostbusters advance and the Aliens "standing in the nest" version.  I had to re-buy both posters, but this year I'm late and lazy so I'm just pulling it out of my collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »
I'm giving a Revenge of the Jedi poster to my brother-in-law for Christmas.  He's not a poster collector, but he wants classic 80s movies on the wall of his home theater.

Great gift and he probably has no idea of its value. Recent sale:

He owes you some serious kid-sitting time!  8)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 02:04:34 AM »
He doesn't and never will.

If I had paid $1.5k for the poster, I probably wouldn't give it to him, but I got 5 or 6 of those for free years ago, so it's not costing me anything,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 04:48:10 AM »
When I saw this post, I was about to write that you probably had a dozen or so.

And so it happened to be.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
When I saw this post, I was about to write that you probably had a dozen or so.

And so it happened to be.

I wish I had a dozen.  Sadly, with this one abandoning me, I'm down to 3.  I can't remember what happened to the other 2.  Probably traded one for something.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
Better late than never to my 10yo nephew. In1978 -eons ago - I was 10 and had SW bedsheets, lunch box, stickers etc.

guest4955

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2017, 05:00:21 AM »
Forgot I gave a couple more to my other nephew a few years ago - still hanging after 8 years! (Sis transferred one to the younger nephew)

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »
I'm giving a Revenge of the Jedi poster to my brother-in-law for Christmas.  He's not a poster collector, but he wants classic 80s movies on the wall of his home theater.  Last year, he got the Ghostbusters advance and the Aliens "standing in the nest" version.  I had to re-buy both posters, but this year I'm late and lazy so I'm just pulling it out of my collection.

T

Wow. You're welcome in my theater anytime! (Must bring posters to hang, of course.)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
I gave it to him a few days ago.  He was quite happy, but of course he thinks it's a $200-300 gift (what I usually give him for Christmas).  He has no idea of what it's worth and I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't frame it...  laugh1  I need to find a way to let him know what it's worth without being obvious about it.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »
I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't frame it.

Send him this pic and semi-truthfully say "I was afraid it would break in transit."  ;D

guest4955

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2017, 12:41:17 AM »
Wait, I'm not done yapping! I remembered yet another “giveaway” story!

It was July 2014. The prior week an EMP employee had flown into DC and stolen, er I mean packed up/accepted for consignment, my final 500+ MPs.

So my ginormous poster cabinet was bare, useless, and taking up lotsa space. I was feeling charitable, so I listed it in the “Free” section of Craigslist DC. I listed it as “Large Art/Poster Cabinet” and warned that it was very heavy, enormous, and would require two men – sexist! – with a handtruck to haul it off. I also included a pic but did not know/detail its exact dimensions.

I expected 1-2 emails expressing interest in the next week. But the next morning I opened my email and 100+ interest emails popped up! Every five minutes another came in! I cancelled the listing and skimmed the requests, most of which were pleading “artistic poverty” and ever-lasting gratitude if I gave it to him/her. (I guess the DC arts community was larger/poorer than I thought.)

I lamely picked one at random and two perfectly-nice dudes showed up the next day with a handtruck. They were hopelessly outmatched/outwitted by the cabinet, shelves flying out at 100mph, etc. After 30 minutes of Olympian struggle, they FINALLY got it out into the hallway. I said goodbye/good luck. 45 minutes they hauled it BACK into the apt. because it was too big for their truck!

So I measured it and picked another email, explaining what had happened to the first pair. They showed up and handled it with aplomb. Goodbye forever….

Want more “infotainment”?

Back in 2010, I bought the cabinet for $150 from a “yahoo in the sticks” off Craigslist.

I also paid him $75 to deliver it and gave him reasonable directions.

He was very late and he finally called me SCREAMING MANIACALLY about how he was hopelessly lost and how [BLEEPING] HORRIBLE [BLEEPING] LIBERAL GODLESS DC and I were! I spent 20 minutes on the phone calming him down and we finally got him on the right track. I thanked him afterwards but felt like SLUGGING him!

guest4955

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »
Ha, GOT a gift this time (from sis), with one of my all-time movie quotes!

Framed in antiquity (2010 actually, witness the cheapy Michael's frame I bought in that era):

guest4955

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »

Created by moi for female cousin who does not admire MPs, but LOVES IHON. Printing 30x40 and framing for her....

guest4955

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
A tale of two digital gifts....

Created this silly/fun concoction featuring my blondie niece, sent it to sis.....

Crickets.....

Up to bat again, sent this - without white bar shown below - to my college pal Bob featuring his 14yo daughter....

A few hours later: "Ha, that's great, will send it to her!"

Ya just never know....

HA source image:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Storage/SW.jpeg

guest4955

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
1) Remembered that "normal" peeps actually watch/enjoy the underlying film and are "meh!" to MPs:

2) Free: www.doctormacro.com notworthy.gif

3) $70 https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

4) $99 https://store.alienskin.com/products/blow-up-3

5) Blow up to ginormous digital image to 30"x40" 150 dpi:

6) Buy $125 30"x40" frame:

All good....

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
I am friendly with one young man who I saw in the parking lot one day, with his girlfriend sitting on his lap. Naturally this gave me an evil idea for a Christmas present. That year for Christmas I gave him the 1-sheet to FAIR GAME, which features Cindy Crawford sitting on Billy Baldwin's lap while she just about pushes her breasts in his face. For some reason, he didn't appreciate the gift!  >:D

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »
I am friendly with one young man who I saw in the parking lot one day, with his girlfriend sitting on his lap. Naturally this gave me an evil idea for a Christmas present. That year for Christmas I gave him the 1-sheet to FAIR GAME, which features Cindy Crawford sitting on Billy Baldwin's lap while she just about pushes her breasts in his face. For some reason, he didn't appreciate the gift!  >:D

Strange young fellar not to appreciate a gift like that! Sounds like you you were giving him a compliment, Cabman.  Okie

guest4955

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
Sis told me her UK husband is watching Mad Men, so I emailed him info and images re these two rare TV posters:

Unlikely he'll respond but "we'll see."

guest4955

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
If you ever want to print out a poster.....