Author Topic: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors  (Read 50108 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
Just gave this lobby card to a girl named Claudia.  She really liked it, says she's going to frame it.  (Not necessarily a romantic gift but who knows....)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
I would have saved it for a good, hearty farm girl named "Ina" or "Olga" ;)
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
If your Claudia is as hot as Dorothy McGuire was, go for it!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »
I would have saved it for a good, hearty farm girl named "Ina" or "Olga" ;)

Olga? A farm girl?
Guess so... if it looks like a duck...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »
Lon:  "I taught her everything she knows."

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
Mel's got a crush....  :-*

I buy and give Monty Python posters to my sister...  They never make it on the wall, but it makes me feel good to give her something.  All she seems to collect is pets and books...  She, even though 4 years younger, introduced me to a bunch of British humor stuff and I always think of her when I watch it...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
Have given and framed a few sci-fi/fantasy ones for my kids, but that probably doesn't count.  I have given my sister framed inserts of Song of Norway and Bye Bye Birdie which she hung.  Gave a friend who runs a bike shop a 1 sheet of On Any Sunday 2 that I bought from one of Rich's auctions for a buck.

Gave my oldest daughter 1 sheets of Care Bear Movie, Winnie the Pooh and Rainbow Brite for nostalgia.  That got her husband involved and he now bids on the auctions as well.

-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
I gave a DRAGONSLAYER insert to Jeff Jones, the late painter who designed the poster.
Not like I offered it to him as a gift, but he told me that the skinflints at the studio hadn't even given him a copy after it was printed.
When he asked me if I had an extra, I offered him his choice of the one sheet or the insert.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »
I gave a DRAGONSLAYER insert to Jeff Jones, the late painter who designed the poster.
Not like I offered it to him as a gift, but he told me that the skinflints at the studio hadn't even given him a copy after it was printed.
When he asked me if I had an extra, I offered him his choice of the one sheet or the insert.

That is not only a a great story but pretty generous of you Ted.
David

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »

clap
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
...and in return, he signed my one sheet.  thumbup

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »
Very cool Ted. Very cool.  thumbup

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »
yes, many times, one person in particular I gave up giving them to, although she did keep one when she left (Mary Poppins daybill framed)
My friend here in Albany I have given a number to, framed, he loves them.
(ps yes I used friend - SINGULAR) its a crap town.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Through the Stones

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 12:55:52 AM »
I gave an ex-girlfriend my double sided Private Ryan advance when we were dating and she crushed it after we broke up in a move across town.

I gave my brother in law a double sided Fellowship of the Ring (face down) because I have multiple copies and he left it in a the frame for three years and gave it back to me when he got married so I guess I 'loaned' that one out

I gave one of my best friends my folded Goonies hole in map version because it's his all time favorite artwork on a poster and I felt he just deserved it.  He got me my job here at Starz and he is just one of the best guys you can know.  I know it's worth some cash and it kinda stings to see it go for so much on eBay when I see them but it also keeps me grounded to value relationships over things.

Posterodyssey

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:13 AM »
My bro got-The Alamo.He dug it but never has framed it yet.Which reminds me,totally forgot about this.His birthday is coming up.
Gave my sister Lost Boys.Not the Stout version,the other one.I splurged for the frame as well.She freaked!Totally in love with it.It went up right away.

I've also given away and traded several commercial posters over the years.Mostly hard too find music and blacklight material.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »
I've bought a few for hubby over the years...I wanted to have at least a few up in the house he would enjoy.
Other than that, hmmm not really.  I think most people don't really "get" this hobby.
Ves

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
We gave my sister-in-law a Rebecca LC for Xmas (her name is Rebecca) - it was unframed so she could frame it to suit her decor. I was horrified to see it sitting on the mantle piece unframed months later - I had to explain to her the value and why she would take a bit better care.

On the other side, our close friends in Melbourne son who is just 8 years old is a big Star Wars fan, I send him posters etc that are OK to just pin on the wall - we watched him open a tube and the absolute joy when he saw his first full size SW poster was worth it's weight in gold. I send him any spare SW stuff I come across and occasionally I'll buy something for him (on Bruce's etc) if I think it is unusual enough for him to like.

I gave my daughter a R84 Loco for Giant which she got framed because she loved that particular image and I have an original Anastasia 1Sh set aside for her for Xmas (that's her name). I also have a '73 Hendrix 1Sh set aside for my muso son...but at the moment he is on the bones of his ass so he won't get until he settles down some otherwise he might just sell it for food!

I gave my neighbour a 'welcome to the neighbourhood' daybill poster for Light in the Piazza (1962) daybill because he was from Florence (where the movie was shot). He framed it and has it it in their media room.

In fact, I often give posters as gift to most anyone it's fun because it's an unusual gift and when it is a vintage one it's kind of cool too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:20:50 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
I sent my sister the US one sheet for 'Swimming Pool'.
She's gay so i thought she would like it.
I do!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »
Regardless if you were being serious or not HG - that was still very funny :)
Chris

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »
Regardless if you were being serious or not HG - that was still very funny :)

I am serious.
She liked it and it's up on her wall.  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »
Well she's clearly got good taste
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
Yes, yesterday.  Just gave this to my 20 year old niece.  I had a couple.  She's moving to NYC and needed something to decorate her room.  I'll be surprised if the print actually makes it there.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
That's quite a nice gift!  I hope she appreciates it.

Yes, yesterday.  Just gave this to my 20 year old niece.  I had a couple.  She's moving to NYC and needed something to decorate her room.  I'll be surprised if the print actually makes it there.

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
She loves Kill Bill.  I tried to explain to her what a limited print is, but I honestly don't think she gives a shit.  That print will most surely end up taped to her wall.  Which will also lower its print size.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
My wife and I recently bought this for her dad:

He's a really big Simpson's fan, but he also always loved the painting this poster was based on. Apparently he had an opportunity to buy an original years an years ago (for a great price), but passed on it and regretted it ever since. We figured this would be the perfect combination. We got a few other Simpson posters for other fans in the family too.