Author Topic: Before and After [Show Off Your Restoration]  (Read 136847 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Before and After [Show Off Your Restoration]
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
 :-X
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
 ;)

I post in FB because that is where I have a page that I can write and interact with people who follow me and my posters, some may or may not be members of this forum (given I have almost 4,000 followers I am pretty sure most of them are not members of this forum), I also use the FB page to gently promote my own website (and I rarely do and it is always a softly softly approach) as well as other website's and businesses I like or am connected to - in this case Dario's. I could post the picture here but I prefer to post it separately and quietly go about marketing myself elsewhere and use this forum predominantly to just be a collector.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:36:08 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
I still can't find the description of how Dario did the borders...  I'm off to play with low-tech films... ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:13:40 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Dario...?
David

guest4251

« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

Pretty much the pic incl here tells the story. I sanded down all the edges were there was paper missing. Methyl cellulose them as flush to the Masa as possible. Patched them up with pulp/glue mix. Let it dry and sand it smooth. Mask off and air brush.

It is always easier to go all around the poster with the gun, but I explained to Dave that I got away with not going all around the poster, due to a really good blend. trickier but worth it.

As far as tape stains, you can't wash them out. Cover is the only way.

Best,
dario.

DavidRewHBTDDuring1111 by Kamera Obscura1, on Flickr

Mirosae

« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
WoW Dario, this is really great to see.  If you have a youtube video restoring posters let me know..i'd love to watch it :)

Mirosae

« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
Bruce sold this back in 2010. Sadly not to me. Posting it here in case you have seen it restored elsewhere. I would love to see it in its full glory. Whoever bought it from Bruce bought a true gem. It is  3 sheet.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
That would look amazing restored Rosa. I would love to see it to in its full glory. Beautiful piece.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
The swirling background behind Valentino remind me of an oil painting.. an amazing image for sure.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
Yes. I think it looks like an oil painting. The US OS looks just like one. I wonder if this is the only known 3 Sheet for this film. Perhaps never restored because no other copy or img exist so the buyer doesn't know how it's supposed to look like.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
What a gorgeous poster. Wow. Love me some Valentino.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
I was looking at the original image and something seemed off. Then I figured it out. As laid out, in the original photo, Valentino would stand all of 3 feet tall.  ;)  I did a (really bad) down 'n dirty mock-up as a comparison, since the emovie description states that there was a good chunk of the center paper missing. Again, tho, it would look incredible restored (if a visual example/PB image were available to reference when doing it).

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »
Good eye Jeff.  It's clear almost 1/4 of the poster is missing.  Very few restorers would tackle such a problem...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
And without an actual visual reference of some kind, I wouldn't want the restoration guessed about or tackled either, were I the owner.

I would leave it as is, until such an image might ever pop up.  ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
Bruce sold this back in 2010. Sadly not to me.

I found this video showing how a Rudolph Valentino screen print for The Eagle  was found at a BBC programme -Antique roadshow in 2012.

The video is just incredible to watch. The poster was won by the owner's grandmother in a newspaper competition the year when it was released. You can watch the BBC  ''expert'' telling th owner that its value is between £1,000 and £1,500..And "LA people collect these things'' I don't think he knows what he is talking about.

That can't be right!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mj2y/features/screen-print

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:42:15 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #265 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
I missed out on one of these back in 2008 on Heritage. I think it went for $12,000 at the time. Another one came up this past December on emovieposter. Since condition is a meaningless concept for me in the acquisition of posters. There was absolutely no hesitation on my part, because I knew exactly what could be done. I sent it off a few months ago and received it back this week.
MICHAEL

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
Beautiful.. and looked to be in really fine shape even before it was backed. And that bottom piece looks like a perfect match!

She brightened up nicely, too.  clap clap
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:07:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
Very nice
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Couple of Italian 2ps that both my wife and I really dig. Sent them off to Mario Cueva at Lumiere Restoration...he did a bang up job to say the least.

The LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER had all kinds of issues, almost hard to catch them all with the bad iphone before pic below. There was tons of rips and tears, a bunch of paper loss along the folds, and McQueen's face looked like someone had target practice with it. Opened it twice before I sent it to Mario, and each time it would shed bits of paper like it had a disease. Looks great now.

This one had some marker/writing on the back, stains, rips, general wear and tear (along Newman's head especially). Since we wanted to display it, the two pieces it was in made it nearly impossible, so we had it sent over for resto as well. Again, love it.

My kids like to see how close they can get before I freak out, haha. Regardless, their feet are kinda funny to look at next to the posters for sake of scale.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
Beautiful, Ben!

clap clap clap cheers cheers

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #270 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Hey Ben how much does a 2p set a guy back anyway?  Sorry if the question is taboo around here...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #271 on: September 04, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
Those both look great Ben!  Please post pics once you've hung them (the posters not the kids!)  ;)
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »
Vick, sent you a PM.

Lol, Chris. Bout took my kids to the woods and made them play survivor for a week or so today...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
Couple of Italian 2ps that both my wife and I really dig. Sent them off to Mario Cueva at Lumiere Restoration...he did a bang up job to say the least.

The LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER had all kinds of issues, almost hard to catch them all with the bad iphone before pic below. There was tons of rips and tears, a bunch of paper loss along the folds, and McQueen's face looked like someone had target practice with it. Opened it twice before I sent it to Mario, and each time it would shed bits of paper like it had a disease. Looks great now.

This one had some marker/writing on the back, stains, rips, general wear and tear (along Newman's head especially). Since we wanted to display it, the two pieces it was in made it nearly impossible, so we had it sent over for resto as well. Again, love it.

My kids like to see how close they can get before I freak out, haha. Regardless, their feet are kinda funny to look at next to the posters for sake of scale.

Looks like Mario did a bang up job!  So were you ultimately satisfied with using him?

I now recall the thread you started regarding framing... in it I mentioned Sean's Spotlight-framed 6 banger with split overlays.  However, I neglected to provide a link.  Better late than never.  Have you decided what you are going to do in that department yet?  Acrylic or split PETG overlays?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:40:01 AM by Harry Caul »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2014, 05:09:24 AM »
Love With The Proper Stranger is just great!

Mark