Author Topic: Behind the Scenes  (Read 288365 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Behind the Scenes
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »

Mirosae

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

HOW COOL IS THAT!

you can buy the poster but you can never buy ''class''. COOL. +10

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
Look at Karloff in that sweater and pipe!  What an English twat ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
In the Pipe....?    Where's Rich when you need him........., shouldn't that be, "with" a Pipe...

What an illiterate Canadian Twat........ ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
In the Pipe....?    Where's Rich when you need him........., shouldn't that be, "with" a Pipe...

What an illiterate Canadian Twat........ ;)

I prefer to think of the pipe as part of his wardrobe accessorizing.  Thus he is "in" the sweater and pipe English twat costume ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
If he was holding a pint of Beer, would he be in it, or holding it...   8)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
Yeah izzit... ;)

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »

Depends how many he's already consumed
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
He can't drink many with that Stiff-upper-lip....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
“It is not true that I was born a monster. Hollywood made me one” --from “KARLOFF, the man, the monster, the movies”, by Denis Gifford (1973).

More to the point, it was Canada that made Boris Karloff. Here are the opening lines of Gifford’s book, “ Boris Karloff was born in 1911 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. He was 24 years old at the time.”

Gifford goes on to explain that the person who was to become known far and wide as movie monster Boris Karloff was actually born William Pratt in 1887 in London, England. And, it was at the age of nine that Billy Pratt discovered what he wanted to do with his life: “ I got my baptism of blood in the parish play. For two nights we put on CINDERELLA. I played The Demon King. It must have been a prophecy. I knew right then and there that this, the theatre, was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

However, the journey from Pratt to Karloff was a long one, and required a trip from England to western Canada. After finishing his formal education young Pratt took some college entrance exams but his interests lay elsewhere. He wanted nothing but a theatre career. His family strongly disagreed, so much so that he was ultimately forced to leave his homeland.

In Karloff’s words, “I was fast becoming a disgrace to the family. In those days black sheep were exported to Canada or Australia. A coin was flipped and Canada lost.”

He sailed from England to Canada in the spring of 1909, spent some time in Ontario, went to Banff, Alberta and on to Vancouver, B.C., where he encountered a theatrical agent by the name of Kelly. Nothing much happened until one day, early in 1911, when Pratt (Karloff) was working in the woods near Kamloops, B.C., he received a telegram from the agent urging him to join a theatre company in Nelson, B.C.

“I left my axe sticking in a tree,” he later said.

And so it was, on a train from Kamloops, to Nelson, that Boris Karloff was born.

In Gifford’s book, the man recounts how it all came to be, “I cast around for a name because I felt the name Pratt was not the best stage name one could choose. I remembered the name KARLOFF from far back on my mother’s side and I took Boris out of the air. The combination has been extraordinarily lucky for me.”

And so it went -- Billy Pratt to Boris Karloff -- all because a young man from England flipped a coin and wound up in Canada. The rest is the stuff of movie legend.
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
He does make a couple of mistakes in that book, do you have it Chris?   I must dust mine off for another reading....

Can you spot any mistakes in what you wrote...?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
“It is not true that I was born a monster. Hollywood made me one” --from “KARLOFF, the man, the monster, the movies”, by Denis Gifford (1973).

More to the point, it was Canada that made Boris Karloff. Here are the opening lines of Gifford’s book, “ Boris Karloff was born in 1911 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. He was 24 years old at the time.”

Gifford goes on to explain that the person who was to become known far and wide as movie monster Boris Karloff was actually born William Pratt in 1887 in London, England. And, it was at the age of nine that Billy Pratt discovered what he wanted to do with his life: “ I got my baptism of blood in the parish play. For two nights we put on CINDERELLA. I played The Demon King. It must have been a prophecy. I knew right then and there that this, the theatre, was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

However, the journey from Pratt to Karloff was a long one, and required a trip from England to western Canada. After finishing his formal education young Pratt took some college entrance exams but his interests lay elsewhere. He wanted nothing but a theatre career. His family strongly disagreed, so much so that he was ultimately forced to leave his homeland.

In Karloff’s words, “I was fast becoming a disgrace to the family. In those days black sheep were exported to Canada or Australia. A coin was flipped and Canada lost.”

He sailed from England to Canada in the spring of 1909, spent some time in Ontario, went to Banff, Alberta and on to Vancouver, B.C., where he encountered a theatrical agent by the name of Kelly. Nothing much happened until one day, early in 1911, when Pratt (Karloff) was working in the woods near Kamloops, B.C., he received a telegram from the agent urging him to join a theatre company in Nelson, B.C.

“I left my axe sticking in a tree,” he later said.

And so it was, on a train from Kamloops, to Nelson, that Boris Karloff was born.

In Gifford’s book, the man recounts how it all came to be, “I cast around for a name because I felt the name Pratt was not the best stage name one could choose. I remembered the name KARLOFF from far back on my mother’s side and I took Boris out of the air. The combination has been extraordinarily lucky for me.”

And so it went -- Billy Pratt to Boris Karloff -- all because a young man from England flipped a coin and wound up in Canada. The rest is the stuff of movie legend.

“ Boris Karloff was born in 1911 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. He was 24 years old at the time.”

Say what?  ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
I didn't think he looked like an English twat huh...tho i prefer him as Franki ;)

Bruce

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »
Here's Karloff in 1911 or 1923 in The Little Minister in his first major role:

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
That name on the back almost looks like Boris's handwriting...

Bruce

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »
If it were, someone got the steal of the century!

woohoo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
I'm thinking that should have been looked into a bit more...  What did it sell for, Bruce?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
That name on the back almost looks like Boris's handwriting...

Paul and Bruce, the signature on the front image look to be in his handwriting, too, doesnt it?

The way "Karloff" is written is especially similar to the back sig, too. (the K, O and Fs).

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
$31.

The "B"s are completely different.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
It's well known Karloff changed the way he did the B , it was sometimes with a loop.

Even if it's not his writing, the finding out, and a great still to boot was worth much more than the selling price, Someone did get an absolute bargain...   I must start looking to the U.S. again, and sod the postage..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
It's well known Karloff changed the way he did the B , it was sometimes with a loop.

Even if it's not his writing, the finding out, and a great still to boot was worth much more than the selling price, Someone did get an absolute bargain...   I must start looking to the U.S. again, and sod the postage..

Yes.. the B's are obviously written differently, but both "Karloff's" look to be a variations done in the same hand.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
did you not read my post Jeff...?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
This is from 32 and a genuine signature...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
did you not read my post Jeff...?

I did and just PM'd you.  :)

-Jeff