Author Topic: Excalibur one sheet - watch out for GCIU logo posters (LAMP)  (Read 7172 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Great info out today in LAMP's July 2012 newsletter.  (If you're not a member, you should consider becoming one to support them).

Ed thinks that all of the GCIU logo posters are video posters.  (GCIU did not form until 1983, so it makes sense). I checked around and EVERYBODY has been selling and is selling those posters as originals, so be wary.

I put up a new authentication based on that info:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Excalibur.html

Interestingly, our old pal Greg Egbert claims these came from a fake printer in the early 1980s.  Who knows if that info has any validity?  (Seems just too weird to make up).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:51:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Excalibur one sheet - watch out for GCIU logo posters (LAMP)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
So not fakes in the true sense.  Just not original theatrical release posters...
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
Does that mean the GCIU Mad Max posters are video posters?

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2405.msg42113.html#msg42113

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »
Does that mean the GCIU Mad Max posters are video posters?

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2405.msg42113.html#msg42113

No, the GCIU union was formed in 1983 and Mad Max was re-released in 1983, so those are theater posters.

Excalibur was released in 1981 and was never re-released, so the GCIU posters are probably video posters.  (At least according to Ed Poole.)

However, I have seen folded GCIU Excalibur posters, which makes me wonder....

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:32:43 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Excalibur if I recall correctly was one of the titles that showed up in abundance rolled. There were a few other titles as well that made the rounds in the wholesale market at that time but to be honest I cannot remember the titles that were involved. There were about 5 popular ones at the time, I think Greg is actually on the mark with this one.

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
No, the GCIU union was formed in 1983 and Mad Max was re-released in 1983, so those are theater posters.

Excalibur was released in 1981 and was never re-released, so the GCIU posters are probably video posters.  (At least according to Ed Poole.)

However, I have seen folded GCIU Excalibur posters, which makes me wonder....

Anyone seen a Mad Max Video poster?

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
i had one once back in the day when I worked at a video store...it was small yellow and released by Vestron Video...approx 14x28 there were no 27x41 reg one sheets avail at the time MAD MAX was first released on video.
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
i had one once back in the day when I worked at a video store...it was small yellow and released by Vestron Video...approx 14x28 there were no 27x41 reg one sheets avail at the time MAD MAX was first released on video.

Great info!  Thanks Dan...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
Excalibur if I recall correctly was one of the titles that showed up in abundance rolled. There were a few other titles as well that made the rounds in the wholesale market at that time but to be honest I cannot remember the titles that were involved. There were about 5 popular ones at the time, I think Greg is actually on the mark with this one.

I think LAMP could be wrong on this one. Maybe that mystery guy in Tennessee got the printing plates for Manhattan, Excalibur, Blade Runner and these are all bootlegs, not video. Did they really send 27x41s to video stores?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
Yes.  In the early 80's sometimes video stores were sent the same exact posters that were sent to theaters.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
Yes.  In the early 80's sometimes video stores were sent the same exact posters that were sent to theaters.

But these GCIU posters (except Mad Max) could not have been distributed to theaters because these movies were never re-released after 1983. I guess the theory is that the studios used the same printing plates and printed full-blown 27x41 posters with the GCIU logo specifically for video stores.

But if that's true, why are there so few GCIU 27x41s?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
I have a number of posters that came from a video store, that was located in here in Malibu, CA, that were sent to them when new VHS /Beta releases arrived. The owner was kind enough to pass some along. These are from 1986-1988. All of theses are full size theatrical one sheets that came from that video store:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:56:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

http://www.trademarkia.com/gciu-graphic-communications-international-union-union-label-73471230.html

GCIU GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL UNION UNION LABEL

very interesting info.

first used anywhere 7/1/83

if this site is 100% accurate, then Ed is right.

but, is it possible that this info. is wrong? maybe it was used earlier? I'm not suggesting that it was........just wondering if it is even possible.

my hunch is that the info. is accurate, but I'd really like to be certain.

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

http://www.trademarkia.com/gciu-graphic-communications-international-union-union-label-73471230.html

GCIU GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL UNION UNION LABEL

very interesting info.

first used anywhere 7/1/83

if this site is 100% accurate, then Ed is right.

but, is it possible that this info. is wrong? maybe it was used earlier? I'm not suggesting that it was........just wondering if it is even possible.

my hunch is that the info. is accurate, but I'd really like to be certain.

Penn State had a good write-up on the merger...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2405.msg42220.html#msg42220

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!