Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 279202 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #725 on: June 26, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »
I'm not surprised at all. Take 40% of your country's millions of purchases of goods, from in-person pick-up, to on-your-doorstep delivery, add thousands of tons of medical equipment pieces needing move through, add the pressures of one country not being as "open" as another thus creating logjams...add organized crime or terrorists trying to sneak things through...and health and safety measures for postal workers, airlines, border crossings.. logistical hell.

Some good points, Vick. I think there are some hard working, though exhausted people trying to deliver a much increased load all while using precautions. An infinite warehouse? We can only hope, T! Okie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #726 on: August 05, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
A nice little video from Posteritati

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #727 on: August 05, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »
Like the guy's workspace.

Very cool.  Nice shelving.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #728 on: August 05, 2020, 06:05:36 PM »
Those videos are great.  I forgot how much of a jerk Bresson was...  So French hahaha

I have never bought from Posteritati and probably never will, because their prices are so high, but I do appreciate the effort and research they put on those little videos.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #729 on: August 06, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
Great vid!

Say what you like about Posteritati prices, but they're an asset to film culture. They're cinephiles first and foremost and it shows.

Stan has great hair too. ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #730 on: August 08, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
I don't know if I completely agree.  An asset in some ways (the videos) YES, but a deterrent in many other ways (their out of control prices).  They serve the hobby and rape it at the same time.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #731 on: August 08, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
I got this email yesterday...

I would love to chat with you. After looking at the cool things you and your team are doing with Movie Posters Gallery, I think we could be a great print and fulfillment partner for you.

We are an automated print and fulfillment partner that\'s been in business for 40 years. We operate out of a 65,000+ square foot facility in the western U.S. 

We connect with our clients\' technology through an API and then automatically print and ship directly to your customers all over the earth. Our printing capabilities extend from the most basic all the way to personalized digital print and foil. We are at our best with one-off, personalized print.

This is a video of our production facility (....)

We would love to be an additional print partner for you.  Let me know a time for a quick introductory call.

My answer...

I’m sorry but this is my private movie posters collection.  ALL my posters are ORIGINAL movie posters printed by studios for the release of a movie.  I am TOTALLY against reprinting original posters, so I cannot help you in any way or form. 

Thanks for the interest and goodbye.

Thierry

Thought I'd share hahaha

FUCKERS!!!

T

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:35:59 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #732 on: August 08, 2020, 08:25:28 PM »
I agree that Posteritati's prices are off the wall but so are the prices of the other few remaining brick and mortar establishments in NYC, Chisholm Larsson and Jerry Ohlinger. But consider this, the monthly rent for any storefront in NYC is astronomical so I personally cut them a little slack and admire them for keeping their lights on for walk in customers. I did not say I would purchase from them, though.

As to reprints I don't really see the harm. I know we are all purists here but lets say you really, r e a l l y want a particularly expensive poster that you know you will never be able to afford. Casablanca, a Fistful Of Dollars advance, Citizen Kane 22x28, whatever. I would not be adverse to buying a well printed repro of it, as long you know up front it's a repro and the seller is also honest about it and tell you it's a fake. All good. It fills a hole in the collection. It's when certain people knock off things like a Dracula 1-sheet, fold it up, wear it out, splash mud on it, then get it linenbacked for the express purpose of ripping people off. That's just fucking wrong. The same goes for flat out bootlegged Star Wars posters and the notorious minty white inserts. Those should all be run through the trusty crosscut shredder and be turned into confetti, which is about how much they are worth.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #733 on: August 09, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »
Well, I do not own any high end posters.  There is a difference between a few thousands and hundreds of thousands.  Of course, if you want a Bela Dracula poster on your walls, a reprint will do.  We're talking about one of a kind or impossible to find Casablanca.  But my posters are quite affordable and for them to suggest that I should let them use my hi-res pictures to reprint them is preposterous, imo.  And even if the seller is honest, who knows if the buyer is not going to try to resale it as an original down the line.  So I would rather stop it before it's too late.

T
My Personal Collection

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2020, 08:08:03 AM »
Don't you need to own the rights to be able to sell copies of posters, even if you do own the originals?

However I'm more interested in how many people T has in his poster 'Team'

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #735 on: August 09, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
I understand your point of view. I thought you were talking about the high end paper. Maybe the printers turn out copies in bulk for college kids who just want something to put on their walls? Portal and Zig Zag used to do very good business with them. You use magnets to hold up the larger posters so you can photograph them so if they did use images of them some photoshop touch up would be necessary to get rid of them. No matter, you stand by your convictions and that's a good thing.

BTW you do have a helluva nice archive. I'm jealous...... moron1       ;D

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #736 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »
I don't know if I completely agree.  An asset in some ways (the videos) YES, but a deterrent in many other ways (their out of control prices).  They serve the hobby and rape it at the same time.

T

I wouldn't buy from them either, but I don't think poster collectors are their audience or customers though. It's very much cinephiles and others. They seem to turn over some very niche film paper that is worthless in poster collectors market. That's great positioning.

They've also been really good at offering support for NY cinema workers during Covid. They serve their community well.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #737 on: September 05, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
I hate the repro guys, really annoys me for some reason. There is a guy who recently started doing them on Ebay that lives in a small town not far from me, and he openly admits he lifts images of the web - obviously from collectors such as us who may have hi res images of our posters on line, and he makes to order. I can understand it with the rare stuff that you would pay hundreds or 1000s to buy origins but this guy even repros recent release posters (in particular hard to get rerelease posters like The Park Circus or BFI quads) or things like Le Mans 66 which you can pick up for £50/60 quid - why would you want some cheap repro? Well I can imagine that your ordinary person on the street who doesn't care for originals and just wants his favourite movie on the wall won't care where it came from. The problem is is when he has had enough of it and tries to sell it of on the bay as an original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vintagecinemapostersuk/m.html?item=184285491450&hash=item2ae84570fa%3Ag%3A2ooAAOSwDtxdVv8z&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Well I guess people like this guy is at least saying they are repros so he's honest - unlike that twat Tom Loche who deliberately sells repros and says they are original. I got stung of him a few times until I released he was selling me fakes!!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #738 on: September 05, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »
This guy is also making Double bills that never existed... Twat.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #739 on: September 24, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
Time for some poster cheer...

The star... Marla English?

Pulp Fiction fan

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #740 on: November 05, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
Interesting sale at Prop Store UK today.

I woke up early, tried to bid on a few Star Wars items but they all went way past what I can afford.  The good news is so is everything else I already own.  People are nuts.

There were a few Bonds I wanted, but I saw the name Carter-Jones attached to them, so I passed.  Gotta have integrity in this hobby, regardless of how much you want something.  I try very hard to never buy from people I do not respect.  The guy still did alright though, but without my money  notworthy.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #741 on: November 05, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »
I followed the Prop Store auction as well although it was a more convenient afternoon session for me. The one UK Parasite poster that has eluded me was the staircase style one sheet. I think this was the first time one was offered for sale anywhere since the February UK premiere- apart from a fortuitous ebay listing a couple of weeks ago. I was relieved my offer for the ebay one (also signed) was accepted as I rightly foresaw the Prop Store lot would go for a crazy price - £800 ($1050) plus commission.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:14:24 PM by marklawd »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #742 on: November 05, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
Nice.  I passed on both of them because I do not believe in signatures.  #1, I don’t like them and don’t understand the point of them and 2, I truly believe they are all fake.  But I know I’m a minority so congrats!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #743 on: November 05, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
I'd have preferred my poster unsigned - Bong Joon Ho has signed posters for me on two separate occasions already this year - but mine came from an HQ-based employee of Curzon Cinemas, the distributor, who hold the stock of these posters and I didn't have much choice given their rarity.

1 - I know you don't like them and you are probably not in a minority. But one thing is clear. Genuine signatures on posters sold in the right venue can and do add serious value. 2 - Virtually all of those on ebay are. But none of mine are and one day, when they offered for sale, they will each come with the strongest provenance.

Mark   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #744 on: November 05, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
If you like signatures and they are signed to you in person with your name on it, that's cool. 

What I really don't understand are people buying signed stuff that wasn't signed for them and are 99% fake.

I was truly scratching my head at some of that Prop Store signed stuff.  Reprint SW posters selling for 1,000 pounds because of a fake Hamill signature.  Insane.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #745 on: November 06, 2020, 12:22:33 AM »

I don't buy autographed items but a nicely penned (and placed) signature on an original photograph appeals to me but even then you can't prove it's authentic and a COA means nothing to me, just another piece of paper with a signature on it. I'm afraid most of the autographed photos in the Bill Collins auction were fake. A great deal of them were 8 x 10's sent out by the studios to fans with secretarial notations - worthless but fun. The Olivia de Havilland signature was genuine but the photo was a modern reprint - such a shame the friend of Bill Collins hadn't bothered to eke out an authentic photograph. The Judy Garland autographed photo which sold for $6,500 (add 30% buyers premium) was presented as an original photo but it was a modern copy, printed some time during Garland's life but not when the picture was taken. Unfortunately the signature and inscription were fake, signed a long time ago and in her style but not her hand. The photo is great but only as an original and unfortunately, nothing about the lot was genuine. There are a few videos on the net that highlight the photo along with other items in the Collins auction and when you see it up close you'll understand what I mean. Thankfully, everything else in the Bill Collins auction appears bona fide, so peek up daht deegeet ehn dew sumdink erbow eet...!
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #746 on: November 06, 2020, 05:20:02 AM »
DinDinTahm - seeing the Minogue sisters has brightened up my morning, very nice.

I had a peek at the Prop Store auction results...seems like the consignors would have been happy. Here they are for anyone interested.

I quite like a well placed autograph from a director/star, but the authenticity aspect has always put me off in the past. Now the prices put me off too! :) There didn't seem to be much provenance for some of the signed posters in the auction yesterday, I wonder if some collectors feel the sigs are legitimized by virtue of the venue selling them? Or does it not really work like that in the autograph collecting world?

I do have a couple of Mondo prints signed (a Halloween signed by John Carpenter and a Pan's Labyrinth signed by Guillermo del Toro) - the sigs are nicely placed, the provenance was rock solid and the price wasn't much different to the unsigned versions. If I lived in London or somewhere where they had Director/Cast Q&A screenings, I think I'd quite enjoy attending and getting a sig on a poster at the end. A friend of mine often goes to premiers and conventions to get sigs and can wait and queue for hours and hours (he has a SW and LOTR poster which contains scores and scores of personalized signatures from the cast covering the entire poster) - I admire his dedication and energy and those posters are obviously treasured by him due to the time and effort he has put into them.

But none of mine are and one day, when they offered for sale, they will each come with the strongest provenance.

I'm glad you managed to find a Parasite one sheet, Mark! I hope I'm still upright in this world when you do offer your signed collection for sale, I'm sure you have some real gems.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:21:48 AM by Tob »

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #747 on: November 06, 2020, 07:33:53 AM »

Tob, you can call me Tahmmie, don't be shy.

I looked at the Prop Store results and am thankful and aghast at what someone is willing to spend on a '90's poster (not to mention anything later) as I mainly collect earlier stuff and have noticed that posters of the eras I enjoy seem to have hit a plateau. Not on high end stuff but certainly popular titles that a decade ago commanded much more. That's what makes collecting so exciting for me: I hope the downward trend continues. I thought the Polish Star Wars in the Prop auction was interesting, though and the Cleopatra quad was great.
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #748 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:07 PM »
I have to say, those sniping programs are cool.  I see something I like, I put it in with a 3 secs bid, forget about it and then get emails letting me know that I won.  It's like Christmas.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
Hi everybody, first off: Happy an Healthy New Year everybody! I haven't seen a separate post, so I'll do it here. Fortunately there were no health issues for me and my family, but 2020 has been frustrating, I had to cancel planned events in the gallery including the 60th birthday of one of my favorite movies PEEPING TOM. In the end I resorted to a gimmick. To have some fun with it I also made a trailer. You can see it here:

https://tinyurl.com/yxrgvvhu

PS My New Years resolution is to become a regular participant on this board once more. I have forgotten how to post photos.....
All the best!

Wim