Author Topic: Trustworthy Dealers  (Read 4921 times)

Juli

Trustworthy Dealers
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Not sure if this has been brought up before on this forum, but I'd like to see a list of dealers (be it eBay or other) that usually sell authentic posters. I only know of two dealers that I trust. I want to have a bigger selection of people as these two people don't have what I want. I don't want to get burnt and get a reprint poster by accident, and the best way to avoid that is to know which dealers are usually good.

For example, I see posters on eBay from time to time and the seller claims they are original, and the price looks like a steal. However, I think these could be reprints or fake. I have no idea, but if I posted the auction link or a picture of the poster asking if it was authentic, someone else would grab it.

~ Juli

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Trustworthy Dealers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
If it looks like a steal, most likely it is unless you know your facts well about that poster.  There are lists on this and other forums of good dealers. 

You can also just post a question about what you're looking for and there's any number of us that can point you in the right direction.  Or, if you see an auction  you're interested in, let us know, either by post or by sending a private message to me, or an one of the folks you seek actively posting to this forum. Once of us will be able to help.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Carson

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Hi Juli, this is a great question and important subject for new collectors. So many who are new to collecting mistakenly prioritize the excitement and fun of collecting ahead of doing their research and end up losing money on reprints and faked posters as a consequence. They vent their frustration by blaming the seller when in truth, their lack of research, is their own doing. So you're really wise in having the discipline to do your research on sellers FIRST!

If you like inexpensive new double sided posters for movies from the 90s to 2010 Dale Dilts is the Mohamed Ali of ebay. He is the undisputed heavy weight champ for best prices and quality of new movie posters. His eBay store is here: MoviePosters4u

Juli

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
I guess I'll post the auction I saw. I won't be bidding on it now that I'd have competition if it turns out it's real. I was wondering if this was likely authentic or fake?

This is an E.T. poster (NOT the rare Moon one):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120528219952&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I sometimes see things like the above and wonder if they are real. I'd love to buy them if they were, but asking someone would create some competition for me if it turned out to be real.

~ Juli

scartacus

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
Juli,

You may be in luck -- Skiper 007 is a top seller -- you couldn't find someone more honest. His prices are super low -- he had a goodfellas one sheet up for $50, I think he also sold a Jaws one sheet for $100. I bought two rolled Moonraker posters off him for $60. 

I would recommend you check out his site maritimeposters.com. There's a lot more stuff up there than on ebay. (though quite a lot of his stock has already been nabbed.) I believe he is selling his collection to buy a Ford Mustang.

Juli

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
Juli,

You may be in luck -- Skiper 007 is a top seller -- you couldn't find someone more honest. His prices are super low -- he had a goodfellas one sheet up for $50, I think he also sold a Jaws one sheet for $100. I bought two rolled Moonraker posters off him for $60. 

Just got to ask, why are his prices low? Seems too good to be true.

~ Juli

scartacus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
I don't know why his prices are so good but there's a ton of people who have bought off him on movieposterforum -- some spending in excess of $500 -- and everyone seems to be very happy with their purchases, myself included.

I remember he had a slightly beaten up "gone with the wind" Empire Strikes Back one sheet for $40, which I wish I'd bought when I shipped a load of stuff over to the UK