Author Topic: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster  (Read 51326 times)

Charlie

Re: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
Yes, but that was your second guess!  You "chose poorly" the first time :)

I'll have to re-run the contest....

Well the question was flawed since Bruce wayne is batman therefore he did drive the batmobile which is relavant to his character. The lamborgini is only relevant since Bruce wayne is batman and not Bruce wayne the character so the only reason it is relavent to his character is because he is batman ergo both answers are correct and one can not be incorrect without the other being incorrect....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:32:48 PM by Charlie »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 11:51:38 PM »
you really want this poster huh?  ;D

tell you what, next question I PROMISE I wont try. OK?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »
It would be my first batman poster...   How fitting to not know if it is real or not...

Nah Mel knows I am just having fun if someone else out there really wants it, its all yours...

guest8

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
It would be my first batman poster...   How fitting to not know if it is real or not...

Nah Mel knows I am just having fun if someone else out there really wants it, its all yours...

LOL .. You know my first batman poster was a fake as well!! Mel let him have it! :P

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
I have to say that my posters all match the same as Mel's.
I haven't got the moviegoods version to compare yet but does that mean in the eyes of the forum i can sell mine again without being labeled as the Tom Loce of the UK?
The print is all clear, the two sides match up and the quality of the paper feels right. As for the WB symbol, it looks smudged but i think it's because of the background pattern. It's speckled and plays tricks on your eyes.

One thing though, i emailed the person selling the bus shelter poster and he said and i quote "there are no 1 sheets with this image, they are fake, the only other time this image was used was in Germany." I don't know what he based that on though. And if it was Germany, what's the US release date doing on it.

HG.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
Here are the german versions:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
This poster was much discussed in 2008-09 on MPF and nobody really knew the answer.  Jon/Treegate claimed they were fakes but he didn't seem to have any special knowledge.

Most of us, including me, are just "enthusiastic amateurs," and this one really goes beyond that level.

Certainly it is possible to create a DS reprint of this quality but I still have a hard time believing it is sufficiently profitable to make it worthwhile, especially since only a relatively few hard-core collectors really care whether it is "original." (Most buyers just want something to stick on the wall and couldn't care less whether it's double-sided or has fuzzy text.  Also, Dark Knight is the kind of super-popular movie that attracts non-collectors to want movie memorabilia of it.)

I've not aware of any DS reprint with a lighter/whiter reverse, although I suppose it would be relatively easy to create that effect through Photoshop.

The wrong sellers  - MovieGoods and Bradburied (not including HG) - are selling this, which alone makes it dubious.

HG's source appears to be legit, which tends to legitimize them.  

The slightly odd sizing is a negative.

We know that this poster was used in some campaigns.  Here's a German A1 which no doubt is legit:

The MovieGoods poster obviously cannot be an "international version" since it has the PG ratings box.

It is possible that the ad agency would know. Their website includes the "Armed Joker" style (although it says "coming soon.)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:51:41 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
What we need is Dan to break out his microscope from the moth balls, as he did with the red Doc Ocks...

guest8

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »
I have to say that my posters all match the same as Mel's.
I haven't got the moviegoods version to compare yet but does that mean in the eyes of the forum i can sell mine again without being labeled as the Tom Loce of the UK?
The print is all clear, the two sides match up and the quality of the paper feels right. As for the WB symbol, it looks smudged but i think it's because of the background pattern. It's speckled and plays tricks on your eyes.

One thing though, i emailed the person selling the bus shelter poster and he said and i quote "there are no 1 sheets with this image, they are fake, the only other time this image was used was in Germany." I don't know what he based that on though. And if it was Germany, what's the US release date doing on it.

HG.

What the seller told you is exactly what I would have told you before this thread appeared. Now its harder to say with 100% certainty, but either way if you decide to sell your copy and we're pretty sure its the same as the MG version then you may want to reconsider your price. :)

Now who wants to hook me up with all of those German posters!! ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
What the seller told you is exactly what I would have told you before this thread appeared. Now its harder to say with 100% certainty, but either way if you decide to sell your copy and we're pretty sure its the same as the MG version then you may want to reconsider your price. :)

Now who wants to hook me up with all of those German posters!! ;)

Breaking news:

MovieGoods is no longer selling the "original" Style G poster at all.  Maybe we cleaned them out.

So fess up - who ordered the MG "original" Poster other than me and HG?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:41:47 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »
By the way, this is the order of the US posters as far as I can gather.  (I'm excluding the known UK one sheets, including Batman looking over Gotham City.)

The "Why So Serious/Joker With Lipstick/Summer 2008" comes out the week of December 10, 2007.

Heath Ledger dies January 22, 2008.

The next "change poster" order comes out March 7, 2008, and requests theaters to change to the Christian Bale "teaser" (what poster does this reference?)

At some point the "July 18" posters come out.

I believe the "Style H" was only printed as a single-sided "wilding" poster.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:58:38 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
So fess up - who ordered the MG "original" Poster other than me and HG?

No need to be secretive, I ordered one yesterday... just in case  ;)

Charlie

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
Great! Guess he is keeping it now...  :P

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
By the way, this is the order of the US posters as far as I can gather.  (I'm excluding the known UK one sheets, including Batman looking over Gotham City.)

The "Why So Serious/Joker With Lipstick/Summer 2008" comes out the week of December 10, 2007.

Heath Ledger dies January 22, 2008.

The next "change poster" order comes out March 7, 2008, and requests theaters to change to the Christian Bale "teaser" (what poster does this reference?)

At some point the "July 18" posters come out.

This isn't correct.  See this NSFGE thread for the full story -

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/4441/Dark-Knight-recalled-according--MPF---according--Theatres?page=1

The style B was the first poster hanging up.  A week before his death, the style A's were sent out (I happened to be visiting my friend's theater when these arrived) which is where the second image 'The Next Teaser One Sheet' that you are borrowing from MPA is from.

The first image is a standard WB enclosure form that accompanied actual WB prints, in this case 10,000 BC, that provided a general summary of the ongoing WB in theater promotional efforts.  In this case, it clearly showed that WB didn't care if the Why So Serious version was hanging up or not and, therefore, had never been recalled.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:48:51 PM by archie leach »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
I've noticed that the image - especially Joker - on the MovieGoods copy is distinctly darker than the stock image from IMPAwards. Consequently, it is much less detailed.  You can very clearly see the green vest on the stock image and it is very indistinct on the front of the MovieGoods copy. (It is more prominent on the lighter/whiter reverse.)

IMO being darker with less detail is a very significant indicator it is a reprint.  It is very common for reprints to be darker/less detailed than originals. Of course, I am comparing to a digital stock image.

Stock image on left, my picture of the MovieGoods copy on the right:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:28:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
I was thinking about picking one up but never got around to it .. I guess since MG sold out Ill prolly never own one. Since the history is still sketchy I refuse to pay more than I would have paid MG's for the poster.

Charlie

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
I've noticed that the image - especially Joker - on the MovieGoods copy is distinctly darker than the stock image from IMPAwards. Consequently, it is much less detailed.  You can very clearly see the green vest on the stock image and it is very indistinct on the front of the MovieGoods copy. (It is more prominent on the lighter/whiter reverse.)

IMO being darker with less detail is a very significant indicator it is a reprint.  It is very common for reprints to be darker/less detailed than originals. Of course, I am comparing to a digital stock image.

So it's mine again!  Mwah Ha Ha....

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
Mel,
I`m following this intently,,great work on this...why are the credits at the bottom of these posters different??

Stew

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
One thing i never did was measure them.
I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info.
Now I'm off to look at that German copy......

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »
Sorry if i`m babbling but..the bottom right hand image of those posters don`t match up..

Stew

Relevant?? I dunno...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »
The stock image is from IMPAwards and is clearly a UK one sheet, which was probably never printed.  I've compared them closely and I don't see any obvious cropping (my picture below is slightly cut off at the bottom.)

A close-up of the jacket on my copy - not the green vest is very dark and practically invisible:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:57:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
Mel,
I`m following this intently,,great work on this...why are the credits at the bottom of these posters different??

Stew

The stock image is from a UK Banner, while the other poster is a 'possible' un-released design for the US market, hence a ratings box...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
The stock image is from IMPAwards and is clearly a UK one sheet, which was probably never printed.  I've compared them closely and I don't see any obvious cropping (my picture below is slightly cut off at the bottom.)
Thanks Mel and Archie...its difficult to keep up sometimes..what about the difference at the bottom corner,i can see a mismatch after the WB logo..is it nothing to fuss about?

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
I've put a preliminary authentication of this poster on MoviePosterCollectors.com. The authentication summarizes much of the arguments explored in this thread. Bottom line is steer clear of this unless you can get it cheap:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Dark_Knight_Style_G.html

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 02:09:57 AM »
I don't normally get involved with new material however...let me see what I can do at my end...this has me curious...

Dan
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!