Author Topic: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster  (Read 51323 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
Proof? Who said anything about proof? I never said i was offering anyone any proof.
I'm just here to give my side of a story which included me and an item i happened to be selling.
Whether you or anyone else believes me or not is entirely up to the individual.

However to be fair to buyers and to protect my reputation as a seller the listing has been cleared until i have all the details regarding this poster.

I haven't sold any of these and won't till i know they are genuine.

(I did swap two with a friend for 'Drive' posters and have contacted him and explained the situation. I await his response)

HG.

HG,

To set aside certain auctions until you have the full story and information is a  sm1  in my book. Congrats on making that decision.

clap

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »
Good lord, I'll have to address all these tedious arguments:

laugh1
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Mel - I know the JB quad was wrinkled when it got to you due to my over zealous packing at the time. I wanted it to reach you without damage and I rolled it too tight and did cause it to end up like that. My little dig at you was just that, a way of poking fun. You did send photos and i didn't mind sending out another poster to make up for it. I thought the 'Hmmmm' and winking icon would make that clear but obviously as we've both now seen, reading something on a forum can be taken different ways.  :)

Fallenangel11 - Go for the moviegoods poster if you want one as I'm not gonna sell my posters till i know what's going on with them. Given the information i have read here and in other forums it seems like this may never be sorted even though these come from a very trustworthy source.  :P

Like Mel, I have ordered one of moviegoods versions just to see how it compares with the ones i was going to sell.
If they match up does that mean i have all reprints or all originals given the info Mel has put forward?

HG.

guest8

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29:44 AM »
A question for those who may know a bit more about how studios handle posters.. Is it possible that these poster may have been printer but were never used? Maybe due to Ledgers death? That could explain the studio friend having copies and possibly how Moviegoods got a hold of (what I am assuming) is a roll or three all while we as the general public never really saw them in theaters.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
A question for those who may know a bit more about how studios handle posters.. Is it possible that these poster may have been printer but were never used? Maybe due to Ledgers death? That could explain the studio friend having copies and possibly how Moviegoods got a hold of (what I am assuming) is a roll or three all while we as the general public never really saw them in theaters.

Yes this happens, but normally they are not in the studios hands, they never leave the printers.

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
Don't know if this helps any but here's a listing for a bus shelter poster of the same design with the July release date on it.
I would buy it but it's £16 for posting and that's UK to UK!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dark-knight-us-bus-shelter-poster-/320916259944?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item4ab8198468#ht_500wt_1156

Maybe it will put us all one step closer to the end of this mystery image.

'Hal'

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
MovieGoods DS poster came in today.

My verdict: Probable original.  If it's not, it's a superb repro printed directly from a high-quality digital image with recreated text and logos.

Size: 27 1/16" x 39 7/8"

Front:

Back - definitely lighter/whiter, back seemed to match up with the front when I held it up to the light:

Small text is sharp, but not razor sharp:

Small text on back:

Compared to known Inception SSR digital repro from Tom Loce (bottom), the text is much sharper on the Joker (top).  The text on the Inception is obviously granulated and fuzzy.  Unlike the Inception repro, the Joker is very unlikely to be a scanned in or photographed digital repro, although it is possible the text and logos were recreated on the source digital image. The WB logo on the Joker appears to be smudged, which is the only defect I've found so far:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:59:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Does T know someone who works for Warner?  Anyone else have connections?  Maybe it can be authenticated in-house....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
You know more than I Mel and I hope you are right but I have trouble believing its real at that price.

Now if that is a fake and it is that good of a repro plus double sided, its not a good thing for my small brain. Especially having seen a fake D/S Star Trek 2009 in person. Makes me wonder...Not good at all.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
You know more than I Mel and I hope you are right but I have trouble believing its real at that price.

Now if that is a fake and it is that good of a repro plus double sided, its not a good thing for my small brain. Especially having seen a fake D/S Star Trek 2009 in person. Makes me wonder...Not good at all.

Like I said before, MovieGoods is selling the SS repro for $29 and this DS for $9. I don't know printer economics but I'm not sure you could make a profit on a $9 high-quality DS you printed yourself.  You could make a profit if you bought rolls of original DS cheap (and there are tens of thousands of DS originals on Ebay now for less than $10). Also, these are pre-printed, ready-to-ship.  All their repros are printed when ordered and take 7 days to process.  However, MovieGoods could have mass-printed this in the past and is selling them cheap now just to reduce the stock.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:52:55 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
EDIT: I started writing this before you posted Mel... similar thoughts below:

Just speculating here... but if it is real, the studios likely printed up tens of thousands of these.  If it was pulled post-printing, but prior to release, it's possible that the whole stashed was saved (or at least rolls upon rolls).  MovieGoods' single sided repro is likely priced so they can make a small profit with low-quality prints on-demand (one-off prints cost a lot compared to a multi-thousands order).  If they bought rolls and rolls of these never-released 'originals' for pennys a piece, they can charge $10 and still profit.  For them to price them that low they would have to have A TON, though... they are basically betting that there are so many that they couldn't possibly run out, leading to a later run up in price.

I wonder if Loce's matches the MG printing?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
So I bought this poster purely to check its authenticity and will give it for free to the first person who (1) pays actual shipping, (2) agrees to keep it for at least one year, and (3) can answer this question (don't answer question unless you want it):

What kind of car does Bruce Wayne drive in the movie and why is that car appropriate for his character?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:57:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
For them to price them that low they would have to have A TON, though.

I think you have hit on the truth of the modern poster. There are TONS of them.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
So I bought this poster purely to check its authenticity

Wait a minute. Have you decided? Are you sure either way?

Charlie

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »
So I bought this poster purely to check its authenticity and will give it for free to the first person who (1) pays actual shipping, (2) agrees to keep it for at least one year, and (3) can answer this question (don't answer question unless you want it):

What kind of car does Bruce Wayne drive in the movie and why is that car appropriate for his character?

Tumbler that turns into a two wheeled motorcycle...  or was it as simple as batmobile because hes batman...

Charlie

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
Tumbler that turns into a two wheeled motorcycle...  or was it as simple as batmobile because hes batman...

Did I win? Poster greed FTW...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Wait a minute. Have you decided? Are you sure either way?

Reasonably satisfied.  I only spent $15 on it, so it's hardly a national crisis.

Did I win? Poster greed FTW...

FTL

Charlie

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
Reasonably satisfied.  I only spent $15 on it, so it's hardly a national crisis.

FTL

Poster greed ftp or my answer ftp?

Charlie

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
Fing auto correct...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
hardly a national crisis.

Dont care bout national crises. Only bout posters  8)

Charlie he said Bruce waynes car not Batmans.  ;)

Charlie

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Murcielago lamborgini. Means bat lamborgini. Ftw?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Dont look at me....Im just a spectator  :D

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
a four wheeled car, because he wants everyone to assume he is normal.
FC (Fuck cars)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Murcielago lamborgini. Means bat lamborgini. Ftw?

Yes, but that was your second guess!  You "chose poorly" the first time :)

I'll have to re-run the contest....