Author Topic: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster  (Read 52430 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
What is the specific evidence this is fake?

This seller says they are original and that he obtained them directly from a friend who used to work at Warner Bros but now works for Sony Pictures Classics.  His other posters, including his other Batman posters (which supposedly came from the same source), appear to be originals.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:45:21 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
Good question.

Its discussed in another thread. http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1807.0.html   ...A thread that totally confused me as to wether this is or isnt a real poster.

I do know that if its real. I want one.  8)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Yeah, this thread should be combined with that one, although my title is more descriptive.

I'm betting these came from MovieGoods, which is still selling them.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
Bastards!

Double sided and has their "authentic original item" tag underneath it. They make me sad.  :(

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
Since it was $16 (including shipping), I went ahead and bought the supposed DS original from MovieGoods.  My curiosity is piqued. Will report back to the board....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:48:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I am interested in this experiment.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »
The weird thing is that MovieGoods sells a single-sided repro of this poster for $29!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
I got mine (and the one I sold to Dave) from a private seller on Ebay, here in the States.
He did not use the Moviegoods "Style G" descrip like the UK seller, which leads me to believe that the posters the fellow on Ebay.uk is selling might have originated at Moviegoods.
Maybe Dave can send his slightly damaged copy to you for comparison when you receive yours, Mel.
Mine is NM and rolled away.  I haven't taken it out for pics because Dave already shot his.

guest8

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
Since this popped up .. Im still ISO some of those German A1's and the subway poster! ;)

As for this poster .. theres been so much controversay surrounding it I would stay away especially since Tloce was a seller of these. The only thing that makes me wonder if these may have been made at some point is the picture in the other thread that has the wilding versions pasted on the wall. But I would assume those are just SS and not DS ..

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
We moved in December, I have no idea where that poster is anymore! Not even sure we kept it. We have thousands of "miscellaneous" posters in boxes that we may never even get to.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
The seller continues to insist he obtained these directly from his movie studio "mate."

He admits that Tloce is known for selling fakes.

He said he used "G" because that is what Amazon labeled it.

He claims his "mate" says it was internally known as poster "10" or "11" - whatever that means.

He is selling on Ebay UK because he thinks he will get higher prices there.

Also, how can this be international if it uses the "July 18" date, the US release date?

Other countries had different dates, for example Ireland was July 24.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:04:38 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
I keep getting messages from the seller of that Dark Knight saying I've been defaming him on this board.

Actually, I thought he was being truthful and was just passing on information from him.

Anyway, he's supposed to show up here and confirm that he received these directly from his friend and that they came directly from Warner Bros, which may legitimize this poster.

guest8

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
If anyone wants I can print out a letter of authentication or COA from which ever studio you desire :P

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
Hello all,

Tis' I, the seller in question.

Some background info first.
I lived in LA from 2001-2007 delivering for FedEx, UPS plus another smaller company. I met the man in question while doing this job delivering to Warner Bros where he worked at the time. After a while we got to know each other, became friends and he started to hand me freebies. He had access to all of the advertising and i wasn't into collecting but he insisted saying 'you can always sell them'. On my return to the UK though i kept it up, expanding into UK quads and any other posters i liked. Since my return we have kept in touch and exchanged a lot of posters between us. He sends me one sheets, i send him quads.
These Dark Knight posters came in a package sent over from LA around 7 weeks ago together with a load of others. When i unwrapped these particular posters i was overjoyed as The Dark Knight has become something of a favourite for me where the posters are concerned. However, i couldn't find the description anywhere on the web (although i had seen it before on IMPA) and no other sites had this image, except Amazon who listed it as 'Style G' so that's I called it thinking they know what they're doing.
I spoke to my buddy soon after to ask if he knew what it was called and he said that he knew it as number 10/11 but couldn't say for sure. They were part of his vast collection before he trimmed it down for a relocation and he only got them from his work or from friends at other studios so I can't see it being fake. If he had doubts he would have told me as he knows some go on ebay for mutual benefit. That's about all i know for definite.

I'm only on here to defend my posters. I read Mel's posts and didn't like the way they are worded.
This new quote "I keep getting messages from the seller of that Dark Knight saying I've been defaming him on this board" isn't true. I sent him one message and then another to answer the two (now three) he sent me. What is it with lawyers over-complicating things?
He does have a point with the release date though and i have left my poster pal a message with these concerns. I'm not giving out his name or new job title as i don't want it out there in the public eye. I did give Mel it privately. I've also emailed Warner Bros to see if they can shed any light on this issue but it may not be high on their list of priorities.

When i know more i will get back to you all and if the poster is confirmed as a reprint, fake or just plain made up i will take it off my account or sell it as such to get rid of it.
I don't sell or collect fake posters, i don't see the point and i pride myself on that. I also have a return policy if you are not 100% happy with your purchase, and my account though new, shows that too.

Mel probably doesn't realise this but we traded before on a James Bond quad which he said arrived damaged. So being the nice honest gent i am, i offered a full refund or another poster for free. He chose 'Burn After Reading' which i sent out right away, FOC. Funny thing is, the James Bond quad is on his site and doesn't look damaged at all to me. Hmmmmmmmm.  ;)

I welcome any questions.
Thanks for your time.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
Welcome To APF Hallucination Generation  :)

Stew

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
 welcome1 aboard, HG.  Sound like you have some good information from a reliable source in the business.

Sometimes it appears things are weirdly worded, and especially sometimes via the internet.  It does not appear to me that Mel insinuated anything negative about you or your posters, but we all interpret things differently, or course.

Thanks for sharing your side of the story.   8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:35:28 PM by NeoLoco »

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I'm not out to start a war with the guy as I've said to him via ebay, I'm just here to set the record straight.

Although saying that I've just read that after i informed him that these came from Warner's he still writes that "I'm betting these came from Moviegoods".
If that's not negative i don't know what is. It's certainly not positive!

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:45:34 PM by Hallucination Generation »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Welcome HG.  ;D

Your clarification of several points was both enlightening and informative.

-Jeff

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Thanks buddy.

I do my best. 8)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »

Although saying that I've just read that after i informed him that these came from Warner's he still writes that "I'm betting these came from Moviegoods".
If that's not negative i don't know what is. It's certainly not positive!

There are several factors that make this version of The Dark Knight one sheet somewhat of an enigma, but I can see how that comment from Mel could be offensive.  I'm not speaking for Mel, but personally, I can say that this version of The Dark Knight has had a lot of hubbub regarding whether it is authentic or not, and now that your story is written here, and with continued research from APFers and/or others reading this thread, maybe the mystery can be solved.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:43:23 PM by NeoLoco »

guest8

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
I dont think it will be solved. we have one guy who admits that he couldnt find any info about this poster anywhere except Amazon .. When they have multiple versions available on Moviegoods and even they call it Style G .. And his idea of proof is saying he has a friend that works at the studio. Theres lots of people who could honestly say they know people who work at studios that doesnt prove any kind of authentication. Its one person saying .. My posters are legit, and typically if we had no reason not to believe him, we would. But this person is trying to sell his product and this happens to be one of the infamous bootleg versions thats been said to have never been officially printed. So I take nothing at face value, the guy who sold me the 24x40 TDK Joker with the knife swore up and down that his were legit posters from the studios as well.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
It could be,
We also have a buyer who has yet to respond.

Stew

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Proof? Who said anything about proof? I never said i was offering anyone any proof.
I'm just here to give my side of a story which included me and an item i happened to be selling.
Whether you or anyone else believes me or not is entirely up to the individual.

However to be fair to buyers and to protect my reputation as a seller the listing has been cleared until i have all the details regarding this poster.
I haven't sold any of these and won't till i know they are genuine.

(I did swap two with a friend for 'Drive' posters and have contacted him and explained the situation. I await his response)

HG.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
Good lord, I'll have to address all these tedious arguments:

(1) You've missed the entire point of this thread.  Up until now, the general consensus has been that these are fakes. I started this thread because I noticed you were selling these and you appeared to be an entirely legitimate seller. I'm simply asking for a second opinion.

(2) "I bet these came from MovieGoods." I wasn't saying YOU necessarily obtained them directly from MovieGoods. I'm simply speculating MovieGoods may have been the original source for all of these and they've been sold through intermediaries.  At this point, who knows?  Your information is pretty strong evidence they are originals.  Maybe MovieGoods bought them in bulk from the original printer.  (In fact, in the beginning they primarily sold originals from an NSS warehouse in Canada.) They still sell some originals.  Their normal modus operandi is to sell single-sided repros, so it doesn't seem like they would go to the time and trouble of printing double-sided copies.

(3) James Bond quad:  Yes, I'd forgotten that quad but you're misrepresenting what I said.  The black background looks terrible from certain angles due to the extensive rippling throughout the poster, probably from being extremely tightly rolled at one point, which essentially ruined it. It looks fine from some angles. I sent you accurate pictures showing how it looked when framed and you agreed it was fundamentally damaged.  I've considered linen-backing it but it's a low priority.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:40:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »
Good lord, I'll have to address all these tedious arguments:

(1) You've missed the entire point of this thread.  Up until now, the general consensus has been that these are fakes. I started this thread because I noticed you were selling these and you appeared to be an entirely legitimate seller. I'm simply asking for a second opinion.

(2) "I bet these came from MovieGoods." I wasn't saying YOU necessarily obtained them directly from MovieGoods. I'm simply speculating MovieGoods may have been the original source for all of these and they've been sold through intermediaries.  At this point, who knows?  Your information is pretty strong evidence they are originals.  Maybe MovieGoods bought them in bulk from the original printer.  (In fact, in the beginning they primarily sold originals from an NSS warehouse in Canada.) They still sell some originals.  Their normal modus operandi is to sell single-sided repros, so it doesn't seem like they would go to the time and trouble of printing double-sided copies.

So given this information I would be better off paying MG's $10 for their DS original copy as opposed to paying $150 for HG's copy? :)