Author Topic: Lobby cards - show us yours  (Read 111495 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Lobby cards - show us yours
« Reply #500 on: February 18, 2017, 01:27:39 PM »
Lobby cards time!

T

Looks like a really solid and protective way to store LC. Those containers look to be the perfect size, too.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #501 on: February 18, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »
Looks like a really solid and protective way to store LC. Those containers look to be the perfect size, too.

Ha, I moved and I filled up one more container since this picture was taken.

And yes, they are perfect.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #502 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:14 AM »
Grief, I learnt today that there were such things as Linen Lobby cards...!

Not that this is of news to the populace here.  Just that I was passing through emp's single collector lobby card sale and came across this.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5134604

A quick search on LAMP elicited very little.  If anyone had a link to something about these, please feel free to pop it up.  Searches tend to provide linen backing services.

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
The one thing I can add is that the linen paper stock (especially the stock Warners used) browns HORRIBLY with age.  I bet they looked gorgeous when first printed, but I can't stand how they look in the present.  It really detracts from the card.  The linen stock used in the inserts and half-sheets seems to brown somewhat less.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #504 on: July 27, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Simon - Warner Bros. made linen lobby card sets, inserts and 22x28's for a couple of years. I guess the idea behind using this kind of stock was because the posters had a pebbled finish and looked much nicer and more special than the  lobby cards and posters printed on normal flat stock. And as Starling mentioned, they brown badly with age, turning what was probably off white paper stock sepia brown. Folded linen inserts and 22x28's can really take a beating and will sustain a lot of damage. The fold lines on linen posters are the worst; the finish can chip off and show the under layer of paper. The lobby cards can look nice, but have to be handled carefully because they can chip, scuff, tear and start to look bad without much effort.

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
I have a few WB Torchy Blane series lobby cards that have browned.  Bruce listed them as having significant defects.  I, on the other hand, like them as I would a toned coin.

Matthew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
Simon - Warner Bros. made linen lobby card sets, inserts and 22x28's for a couple of years. I guess the idea behind using this kind of stock was because the posters had a pebbled finish and looked much nicer and more special than the  lobby cards and posters printed on normal flat stock. And as Starling mentioned, they brown badly with age, turning what was probably off white paper stock sepia brown. Folded linen inserts and 22x28's can really take a beating and will sustain a lot of damage. The fold lines on linen posters are the worst; the finish can chip off and show the under layer of paper. The lobby cards can look nice, but have to be handled carefully because they can chip, scuff, tear and start to look bad without much effort.

they made then from 1936 to 1943 or 44
the reason these brown easily is because the finishing, after the machine stamps the pebbled surface (yes, these were printed flat and pressed to get the surfacing) is a type of varnish, which has a chemical reaction with oxygen

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »
God I love this place.  Thanks for that fellas, and also for not thinking I am a complete ingenue, late to the ball etc...

Can linen products be conserved with linen / paper backing in the normal way with paper posters?  Can the fold lines be made to disappear?  Can the 'browning' be corrected with bleaching baths etc a la paper posters?

I am wondering if there is life after death for these products in the same way there is for paper posters...

Thanks chaps.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
They have been making linen postcards for decades too. 

Vintage Linen Postcards. Linen postcards were printed in the United States from the 1930s until the 1950s. Contrary to their descriptive name, linen postcards were not made out of linen, which is derived from flax, but they did have a high rag content, which means the paper contained a certain amount of cotton fiber.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #509 on: August 27, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
Thought I'd post a fun little 'naughty' one that is now 100 years old:

Part of the fun is discovering history hiding on the card.  When I received the card, I found this on the back:
-Jay-

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #510 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
Thought I'd post a fun little 'naughty' one that is now 100 years old:

Part of the fun is discovering history hiding on the card.  When I received the card, I found this on the back:

That moustache is certainly naughty, Jayn!  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #511 on: January 20, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »
I don't really collect Lobby Cards, only on two occasions did I pick three up from action.

This one signed by Elkie Sommer

And these two

The only other Lobby Cards I have is this of French larger lobby cards on card which I found on a boot sale somewhere in France on my travels years ago;

Would anyone be interested in these?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:07:13 PM by poster art »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #512 on: April 15, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
Does anyone know when the last US lobby cards were printed.  Not US international, US domestic.

Thanks,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)