Author Topic: Chantrell Posters - a new website dedicated to the artist Tom Chantrell  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Hi all,

Last weekend a new website was launched that is dedicated to arguably the best, and certainly one of the most prolific, British poster artists of all time, the great Tom Chantrell. Whilst there are several 'big' titles Chantrell is known for, including the iconic Star Wars artwork that was used around the world and the brilliant quad for One Million Years BC, his long career saw him illustrate what is thought to be close to 800 pieces of finished art. His brilliant designs added immeasurably to a plethora of sci-fi, horror and exploitation posters, and his gift for selling a film with one exciting, dynamic image can not be denied.

The website has been put together with the full cooperation and blessing of Tom's family, including his widow Shirley, and features an utterly brilliant biography written by Tom's friend Sim Branaghan, the author of the essential book British Film Posters: An Illustrated History. It offers the chance to buy original artwork, reference materials and original posters in fantastic, often rolled condition (just like I like 'em!) and will be updated regularly with new material.

I realise that this may come across as a bit of a sales pitch but I can assure you I'm not affiliated in any way with the site and am not being given any kind of back-hander for posting this. I think the site deserves all the support it can get since it will continue to showcase and highlight Chantrell's wonderful work, plus the financial benefits will be seen by his family directly.

The address is: http://www.chantrellposter.com/

Below is an image taken from the biography page of Tom posing for a reference photo:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:27:14 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Great site, Ed.
Thanks for posting it.
I see someone already snagged that PATTON quad -- a masterpiece.
 cheers

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Note to self:  See Digby:The Biggest Dog in the World and Pelvis double feature ASAP...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
They should print the Horror Express concept as a 40th anniversary poster ;)

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
Thanks for the link !!
I always loved his work, a gifted man.

I don't have many Chantrell Quads, maybe a dozen. It's time I check them all,
I'm sure his signature will pop up here and there.

Three of my 'better' ones. I still remember that glorious day I picked up the BULLITT quad
in London some 18 years ago. 30 pounds. (The second scan is the retouched version for my McQueen book).
And those HAMMER quads came directly from the remainings of Hammer offices, we used
to visit 'Hammer people' when in London in the 90s. Great times.  

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:02:00 AM by peckinpah »

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
The Bullitt quad is a beauty and arguably the best poster for the film.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Hard to believe but true:

This zany American sketch show Comedy was imported by David Grant & unashamedly set up as a "Jaws" spoof to capitalise on the success of the 1976 blockbuster. It is surprising that the Poster didn't attract legal objections but as the Film was launched in the USA as "American Tickler" & was fronted with a completely different Poster campaign, the British "Jaws" version passed under the radar of litigation. The fact that the Film was not a commercial success here also helped. As the print run was modest only, this title is extremely rare. Again, Chantrell's sense of humour comes to the fore with this Poster design. Of interest to Chantrell collectors & Jaws completists alike. This is an unfolded Chantrell "proof" copy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:24:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
While searching for this movie on IMDB, I noticed that Joan Sumner is incorrectly credited on IMDb as Joan Summer.  I have submitted a correction.  She appears elsewhere on IMDb as Molly Malone aka Joan Sumner.

Nice bit of Chantrell - what are the dimensions of that poster?  Is it a quad?

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Bruce

I would LOVE to have this poster for my next major auction! I have never seen or heard of it, and I bet it would bring huge money in the right auction..

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Yes, I think it would be a top DRAW....
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
I bought the Draws poster and received it today. It is a full-sized quad (30 x 40) and I understand it is exceptionally rare. It came with a certificate signed by Chantrell's widow confirming it came from his collection. Thanks for the link Ed.

Mark

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
You're welcome Mark. Glad to hear it went to a good home  :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
I bought the Draws poster and received it today. It is a full-sized quad (30 x 40) and I understand it is exceptionally rare. It came with a certificate signed by Chantrell's widow confirming it came from his collection. Thanks for the link Ed.

Mark

Congrats, Mark.
That quad is butts-up, ass grabbin'!
 cheers

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Congrats, Mark.
That quad is butts-up, ass grabbin'!
 cheers

What he said.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Butts-up, ass-grabbin'....

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Ahhh, the gif that keeps on giving!  whip

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Ah!! I saw this thread 6 days too late!!!  I wonder how much they were asking for that One Million BC/She Quad I've been trying to get... probably less than they usually sell for on emovie, that's for sure! Thanks for the link though, I saw one I've wanted for sometime but only seen pictures of in double bill form so I snagged it quick.  This is kinda cool, direct from Chantrell's collection no less!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:56:57 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
PM me what you'd want to pay for the She/1,000,000 quad, Ive had a few over the years and might convince one of my biuyers to let one go. If you like.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
The One million/She Quad was up for £325....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
The One million/She Quad was up for £325....

eh... never-mind then, would have been worth a slight premium since it was from his collection, but not that much of one.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Re: Chantrell Posters - a new website dedicated to the artist Tom Chantrell
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
Great site, Ed.
Thanks for posting it.
I see someone already snagged that PATTON quad -- a masterpiece.
 cheers

I bought the original artwork for Patton last year!