Author Topic: Wilding posters  (Read 44294 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Wilding posters
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
Two new wiiding sets.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Thierry: "Better late than never, finally got my Avengers set...."

What, by ripping them down from the street corner wall?  ;D bed1

Really, congrats on your unusual ability to procure "mint condition" rare MPs....

Most detailed info ever re "wild posting":

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5241607

NOTE: Click on linked names to see a biography.

Important Added Info: Note that most collectors know that the one-sheet image with a close up of the star child was used for the 1972 and 1974 re-releases of this classic sci-fi movie and they are also aware there was a colorful "psychedelic eye" wildposting poster (created for the re-launch of the movie in 1970). But few know there was also a 2nd 1970 wildposting poster with the solo star child image, and it was the main image for the 1970 campaign conceived by Mike Kaplan.

The movie opened in 70mm in 1968 in a roadshow release. By the end of 1969 it went into wide release in 35mm, while still playing at some of its most successful roadshow runs. But it was not as successful as previous roadshow releases in its wide 35mm breaks. Kaplan, who was 2001's marketing point man, was convinced that no longer being in 70mm was hurting it, and he convinced the studio to "re-launch" it in March 1970 once again in 70mm (with full stereo sound, correct lenses, etc.), the way 2001's growing fans/audiences wanted to see it.

He conceived the star child//ultimate trip campaign with a giant close-up of the star child, in green and gray and a very colorful secondary "giant eye" poster (with the star child in the eye), both with "the ultimate trip" as the tagline). The two posters were printed as one-sheets (measuring 27x41) and with no NSS or other printing/release credits in the bottom white border, as this was a test campaign in New York, which would determine if the re-launch would work.

"Wildposting" means that a huge number of the posters were posted on walls and building sites all over New York City just prior to the movie's release. Kaplan had the majority of both posters used for the "wildposting" campaign, but as the solo star child was the main image for the campaign, 2/3rds of the posters were the star child and 1/3rd were the giant eye. Both posters were also on view in poster frames at New York's Ziegfeld Theater, where 2001 played. All the print ads for this March 1970 re-launch only used the solo star child image.

After this re-launch proved successful, the star child campaign was adapted nationally to sustain the movie in its remaining roadshow runs and for re-launching the film in 70mm in new national engagements. The one-sheet for that 1970 release shows the star child, but the poster has less green than the "wildposting" one-sheet. The movie was re-released in both 1972 and 1974, and the one-sheets for those re-releases had the star child image, but with even less green than the "wildposting" one-sheet.

Both "wildposting" one-sheets are extremely rare and have no NSS information. Almost all of them were pasted to walls in New York City in March 1970, although a few were likely folded and sent to theaters. Note that while posters that were used in this way in the 1960s to the 1980s were referred to at the time as "wildposting" one-sheets, they later, mistakenly, acquired the name "wilding" posters, and so that is what we refer to them as, because it is term more modern collectors, unfortunately, know them by!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Mel, did you buy them from Bruce?  If so, they’re mine.  I used to trash all my extra sets and decided to send them to Bruce as an experiment.  I was hoping to at least break even on shipping, but I’ve actually made a few thousand bucks from them.  Better than trashing them I guess.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
Mel, did you buy them from Bruce?  If so, they’re mine.  I used to trash all my extra sets and decided to send them to Bruce as an experiment.  I was hoping to at least break even on shipping, but I’ve actually made a few thousand bucks from them.  Better than trashing them I guess.

T

Haven't bought any wilding MPs in years.

Ha, you've succumbed to consigning fever.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Ha, you've succumbed to consigning fever.

Nah, just the wildings.  I usually get multiple sets that I have no use for.  For the longest time, I thought no one cared, until another collector told me to send my extras to Bruce.  I did, and it worked.  I will not send anything else, though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Godzilla Wildings. Lucky to get a set of these back in the day. The last style was recalled.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2019, 06:06:15 PM »
Awesome Gojira, Jedgerley!  Nice to see a Kaiju out strolling on a sunny day!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Great looking Godzilla wildings, Jason. Always great to see what the latest additions (new or old) are.  ;)

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »
A set of 10 wildings for one of my favorite movies of last year.  All 48x70in.  No Right Stuff of course, but Chazelle, Spielberg, Gosling, Foy and Armstrong are a nice combo.

T
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:57:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
A set of 10 wildings for one of my favorite movies of last year.  All 48x70in.  No Right Stuff of course, but Chazelle, Spielberg, Gosling, Foy and Armstrong are a nice combo.

T

This is when your location being close to Hollywood lets you see cool posters promoting Oscar nominations, T.  I'd sure enjoy seeing these posters in the small urban wild of coastal Mississippi.  Stennis Space Center here in Mississippi is where the Saturn V rocket engines were tested for Apollo.  Would have been fun to see these posters at Stennis!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2019, 07:18:16 PM »
These were not easy to find, that's for sure.  Apparently Disney didn't print a lot of them and people have been ripping them from construction sites.  13 posters, all 48x70in.  Probably not what seasoned APF collectors like you guys go after, but I like them.

T
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:22:55 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »
Whoa!  :o :o :o :o :o  Epic set T.  Congrats!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
These were not easy to find, that's for sure.  Apparently Disney didn't print a lot of them and people have been ripping them from construction sites.  13 posters, all 48x70in.  Probably not what seasoned APF collectors like you guys go after, but I like them.

T

Sweet, nice set!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »

T

How is this even possible, T?!  That's 52 feet wide, with no spaces, of Avengers! Is Giant Man even that tall when laying down?!  The cool posters you get to see on the Left Coast are collosal!  Okie
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:59:12 PM by okiehawker »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
I love a character poster set!

Very nice, T. Congrats!

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
Great set. That must be a record for the most character posters actually printed for a title. Good job!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »
Incredible set. Good job they will go straight into storage because handling a roll (of posters) of that quantity and size must be tricky.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
Funny, I thought no one would care about something like this.  APF is the only place in the world where you can see the full set (aside from my own site), so consider yourselves privileged  ;)

And Okie, yes, they are a lot of huge construction sites here in LA.  But you're right, 13 posters takes a lot of room, which is probably why they didn't print too many of those.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
Incredible set. Good job they will go straight into storage because handling a roll (of posters) of that quantity and size must be tricky.

Mark

Which is why people like us somehow become custodians of movie history.  We store them away, making sure they do not get damaged.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2019, 03:08:56 PM »
My Marvel sets so far...  Fun to see them all together.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
That's just nuts T.   notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
That's just nuts T.   notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Is that a good or a bad thing?

I've been collecting those wildings for 4 years now.  I only wish I started earlier.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
Is that a good or a bad thing?

That photo is nuts and you are nuts and those are both good things :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2022, 10:13:33 PM »
I was gone for 3 months this summer and my guy got me so many wildings.  Here are a few from Jurassic World I finally got a chance to photograph.  Probably not very interesting to most, but this forum has been slow lately, so why not post some of this stuff.

T
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:15:19 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2022, 05:43:57 AM »
Can't beat wilding posters in my opinion. I can't imagine many people would have a set like that in their collection, congrats.