Author Topic: May 2012  (Read 13752 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
May 2012
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:28:29 AM »
Picked up these off Bruce the other week which he refers to as Stage Play Heralds but are probably more commonly known in the UK as (Pantomime) Small Poster Blanks they measure just 7" x 10". As I understand it there were printed (in bulk) by Taylor's of Wombwell (tho' not too sure about the last one however) from 1929 through to the (probably) the mid 30s. These particular designs/stock were continued to be used until at least the 1960s - they really printed in bulk! They were simply distributed to production companies who then overprinted their own Panto details.

Not so rare but cute nonetheless

This 60x40 I also recently picked up was printed by the same company also dated from the 30s - again a 'stock' poster, but great colours and great legs!

I bought these to relive a short period of my pre-teens when we lived in Portsmouth, England for two years and so for two Christmases went to a Panto. A lot of fun. Back then they upheld the tradition of the male lead (eg Prince Charming) being played by a (young) woman and the grumpy older woman (eg Ugly Stepmother) being played by a man. Not sure if it is the same today...
David

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: May 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:36 AM »
That 40 x 60 must look pretty good in person. Nice pussy, I see why you like it

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
That 40 x 60 must look pretty good in person. Nice pussy, I see why you like it

haha, yeah nice pussy...and only had 10 miles on it.
David

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:28:02 AM »
Back then they upheld the tradition of the male lead (eg Prince Charming) being played by a (young) woman and the grumpy older woman (eg Ugly Stepmother) being played by a man. Not sure if it is the same today...

Hi!

Pleased to report that pantomime in the UK is still going strong.  Unfortunately, some of the tradition is being chipped away - for example, those male lead parts are now frequently played by men instead of the traditional female principal boys - but the dame played by a male actor is still a mainstay of panto!

Wearing a crown instead of my 'Quadbod' hat, this was my most recent foray into pantomime down in sunny Essex a couple of years ago ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/quadbod12/TPPantoBasildon?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:50:34 AM »
ahahaha GREAT!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Those pics are awesome, Terry.
 clap clap clap clap clap

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun!
Chris