Author Topic: Evil Dead Quad, and Video poster difference....  (Read 10767 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Evil Dead Quad, and Video poster difference....
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
It's amazing what comes from my loft....

I've dug out the Evil Dead Quad, as Terry from Quadbod asked for a comparison, so ....

Here's the one everyone thinks is the Quad, which is the video poster...
This one measures, 38 1/4" X 29 1/8"

And the scarce Cinema release version....
Which measures in at, 39 7/8"X 30 1/4"

All the Quads I have seen have been rolled, and all the Video posters are folded.
Now the artwork is marginally bigger on the Quad, but if it was cut down from the Quad, you would go slightly over into
the artwork anyway...
That said, there is a slight difference in the feel of the paper. The Video poster seems a touch thicker, I have got a micrometer
if we want to get technical. the printing also looks different. So here's a few side by side pics taken with a cheap camera...

I have placed the Video poster bang on with the top of the Cinema poster, where the art meets the White boarder...

And a few just to show the colour difference, note the Video poster looks Blacker on the Blacks..

If anyone needs some better pics do say before I put them back, as it's taken a few months to find that
poster...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:26:55 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
Re: Evil Dead Quad, and Video poster difference....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Great info, but I always wondered why a Quad would have the -NOW ON VIDEO- line? Was this a re-release or was it released on Video at the same time it was released in Cinemas?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:36:19 PM »
It was released on Video the same day it was at the Cinemas. From what I remember a lot of Cinemas wouldn't show it as it was coming out on Tape at the same time, so it had quite a limited run on the circuits...Hence the Quad is Very scarce.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
If you scroll to the bottom they talk a bit about the UK release (which pre-dated the US release by almost a year) on this page: http://bookofthedead.ws/website/the_evil_dead_production.html

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
... never mind the posters, what a great pen!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
Thought You'd like that Terry.... ;)   I do use it to make notes about posters.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:07:38 PM by paul waines »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
... never mind the posters, what a great pen!

Best wishes,

Wish I could get me one of those..... *cough*

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
I'm Glad I never left the Calculator Out......"did I think that or Type it"..... eyeroll

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »

I'm Glad I never left the Calculator Out......"did I think that or Type it"..... eyeroll
laugh1

Stew

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
I won't post anything in this thread until the one who started it identifies himself and presents evidence that he is the real Paul Waines  :D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

If you go to the back of the house it looks much more like me... ;D

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
... and if you take cranberries and stew them like apple sauce, it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

My favourite Marx Bros line ... and there's a lot to choose from ... !

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »

If you go to the back of the house it looks much more like me... ;D

That mug is creepier than the evil dead quad  thumbup
Matias

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 09:00:59 PM »
Great documentation, Paul.
Now send 'em across the pond so that I can experience this "slight difference in the feel of the paper" myself.
You wouldn't want a friend to get duped now, would you?
 cheers

PS -- Graham Humphreys should do more movie posters, eh?

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »
Hi, Paul!

So, based on the evidence as presented, the so-called 'video' version could be the larger version, simply trimmed down except for the 'printing differences' which could be accounted for by the variations one might expect in a separate print-run - eg paper quality, slight colour variations, etc.

Although you state the artwork is larger, I'm assuming you mean the dark background area of the artwork is slightly larger but the actual art content (ie dimensions of lettering etc) is identical, so trimming the larger one to the smaller dimensions would produce the 'video' version?

Great info for future reference.  Thanks again!

Best wishes,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:51 AM »
Yes, you have it right Terry,  Overall you lose about 5/16" of the Black outer edge both vertically and horizontally on the Video version. The actual words. images etc are the same size.

Though I don't think it was simply a case of simply cutting the boarders off, as the Video version is Machine folded. Which must have been done at the time of he print run. Plus the trimming is off set....there's more missing from one side than the other...!  Same Top and bottom.

I wonder if Graham humphreys knows anything..?

Ted, they are on there way.... ;)

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »
Hi, Paul & all!

We now have additional comments from Sim Branaghan, emphasising that the smaller example is not a video poster.  He goes on to say ...

To clarify, Evil Dead opened theatrically (in Glasgow) on 9th December 1982, and a week later in London.  The video was released on 24th February 1983.  By the standards of the time this was indeed practically simultaneous, but the posters were printed for CINEMAS, though it's perfectly possible some ended up being used in video shops.  The key thing is the certificate - in Jan 1983 the BBFC categories changed, and X became 18.  The posters (and first batch of pre-prepared video-sleeves) all show 'X', though this quickly changed on early sleeve-reprints to '18'. 

In terms of the posters, the smaller versions are simply trimmed versions of the white-border 30x40.  I don't know why this was done, and for many years was unaware a full-size version even existed.  My own copy (trimmed but unfolded) was bought in mid-1983, and for years EVERY COPY I EVER SAW (and there were dozens) were always this size.  In fact the only two documented white-border copies I know of are those of Paul Waines and Eddie Shannon:

http://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/the-evil-dead-quad-uk/

I'm pretty sure (not certain) that Evil Dead had its London premiere at the Scala.

This leads to an intriguing possibility.  Given that (in my opinion) only a tiny proportion of the run remained untrimmed, perhaps the few that escaped the guillotine were sent direct to the Scala.  It would be interesting to know where Paul Waines' copy came from, though of course it might have changed hands a few times first....

But, it is not accurate to describe this (trimmed) quad as a video poster.  It is a cinema poster that (uniquely) happens to prominently promote a near-simultaneous video-release.

As ever, thanks to Sim for this additional information.

Best wishes,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »
The Certificate change from X to 18 happened on 1st Nov 1982, I do know the Cinemas in our area never showed Evil Dead, and was the same in other areas of England. As for the exact date of the Video release, I'll check on that.

I got my Video Poster from the Local video Shop in 83, the owner ran 4 of them, he gave me that poster, and a smaller version, which I'll dig out.  But I'm sure all that happened with the X cert was a "sticker" saying 18 in a red circle, was placed over the X. When the later (around 84) copies of the video came out they had 18 actually on the printing of the sleeve as opposed to the sticker... 

Harry Call also has the Cinema version, as does a good friend of mine, so there's 3 copies. There was one on Ebay about a year ago, which went for some silly money. I'm not sure if thats the one Ed bought. 

Dose anyone remember what poster was up in Scotland, as it seems it was shown in every Cinema up there... 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
This is the smaller version, without digging it out to check. It's about a single Crown size, Half sht at most...

And still has an X cert...

Terry, I do remember a comment you made saying you only recognise 30 X 40 as a true Quad size unless there are No known 30X40 copies of a certain poster, are you back pedalling.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:42:46 AM by paul waines »

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
I bought mine from a London-based poster designer who has been in the business for over 25 years and had a working relationship with both the Scala cinema and Humphreys. Short of having been stood next to the printer as the posters were run off I couldn't be more certain it's legit.

In my interview with Graham he recalls that there were around 500 printed, although, as Sim will attest, this is quite a low print run in terms of copies versus cost so it's possible there were more. I'm certainly happy to ask Graham if he can recall why it might have been trimmed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:47:30 AM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »
Terry, I do remember a comment you made saying you only recognise 30 X 40 as a true Quad size unless there are No known 30X40 copies of a certain poster, are you back pedalling.... ;)

No - I'd stand by that comment.  The undersized version would count as a trimmed quad, as we know, thanks to the info in this thread, that a full-sized version exists.  Can't see how that's back-pedalling ... or even free-wheeling ... !

'Quad', as we know, simply identifies the actual size of the paper - ie quad-crown which is 30" x 40" ... or possibly, if we're being thorough, also 60" x 20" ... being four times 'crown' which is 15" x 20" - so strictly speaking, the term 'quad' should only be used for those actual dimensions (give or take the odd millimetre or two variation in the 'normal' guillotining procedure, as opposed to trimming down to a noticeably smaller size).

Best wishes.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:54:40 AM by quadbod »

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »
The Certificate change from X to 18 happened on 1st Nov 1982

I believe you have a poster which quotes a different date ...

Best wishes,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
That's not what the BBFC say on their web site, and Sim says the 9th, that's 3  different dates. Though I don't think that is the point here.

Why would two versions be printed? and what looks like two different Printers. It would be good if Ed could ask Graham what he knows about it.

Re: Trimmed Quad... There's No evidence that it was cut down, I think the Video version was printed like that, and on the smaller paper, two different printings, hence the difference in Quality, and feel...  So to say this is a trimmed Quad is all wrong.

I got My Video poster from a Video rental Shop in 83, and the Quad from a fellow Collector, who got it from a Cinema Manager. Which is why I have always called them so.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »
I got My Video poster from a Video rental Shop in 83,

I was 4 in 1983. Man, I wish I had started gathering posters earlier...   :D
Matias

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Out of Curiosity I've just measured the Video version again in metric, and it comes out at 970mm X 740mm  does this mean anything??
was it printed for a European release??  and the rest sent to Video shops...?

just trying to make some sense of it here ...