Author Topic: Valuable, but not rare  (Read 13242 times)

Bruce

Re: Valuable, but not rare
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
The Astounding She Monster one sheet has been popping up a lot recently, six times in the last year at HA. Maybe not so rare after all.

If you look at each closely, you may discover that the "six" are really "five" or "four" or "three" or "two" or even "one".

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
oh c'mon already

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
I just did a look and of the six copies sold in last year only two were backed.
The two backed copies do not grade the same, thought that is not always a clear indicator.
Of those unbacked, one can clearly see they are not the same copy!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
I meant at all auctions. We have auctioned some posters 100 or more times, but many of those might be the same exact ones coming around again (we HAVE been auctioning for 24 years). And sometimes it is auctioned unbacked and then again after it is backed.

You can't judge rarity from how many times a poster has been auctioned.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
well that is true.
I have bought back or been consigned quite a few items since I began auctions that I have previously sold (there are a few in my current auction)

sometimes the items come back due to a description mistake (we all make them), though that happens rarely.
Others have come back because some members have lost their jobs, had a medical issue or some other emergency or even because members just lost interest in some item & wanted to put the resources into other items that they are more interested in.

My own collection has been getting broken out in some areas that I am no longer collecting

.. and once in a while, it may even be because some idiot never paid for his auction wins, like that person who promised forever that he was sending me payment for the Back to Bataan poster that I am reselling again in the current auction (Hey Brett, if you're reading this - you are p-e-r-m-a-n-e-n-t-l-y b-a-n-n-e-d as this is your second time)

I would think however that to be reselling a poster 6 times is a pretty rare occurrence under any circumstances

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Not rare, but valuable
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
A few other titles that come to mind here are Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and This Gun For Hire and Forbidden Planet.

All 3 appear with some regularity (Kirby is offering a This Gun, right now, for sale on his site, as a matter of fact), and all always do quite well in the money dept.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:18:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Not rare, but valuable
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »
 As has been mentioned before, This Gun For Hire OS seems to pop up wit such regularity, and once again, is doing very well in the HA Sig Auction.

Currently at $15,535.00 (inc the BP). (and the preset Reserve has NOT been met, yet).  :o

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/film-noir/this-gun-for-hire-paramount-1942-one-sheet-27-x-41-/a/7113-86170.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »
Any from the Creature From the Black Lagoon series material that comes up with some regularity, either on the bay or the auction houses, always seems to do pretty well, too. And while not voluminous, there always seems to be a piece coming for auction with regularity (though some of the foreign material seems much more rare than US paper).

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
That goes with any title Jeff. The US is a large place, so lots of posters printed per title, as compared to other countries.  Certain UK titles for example had 500 max copies printed.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
That goes with any title Jeff. The US is a large place, so lots of posters printed per title, as compared to other countries.  Certain UK titles for example had 500 max copies printed.

I would not say with any title, Paul. Show me how much material from Frankenstein (1st release), BOFrank, Dracula (1931) or The Mummy appears with any regularity, if hardly at all, here in the US or elsewhere.

I would say material from those films would be classified in a thread called "Valuable & Rare"   ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:31:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
The comparison was the size of the country Jeff, and those titles never turn up for UK paper, they just don't exist.. so there's still more available in the states. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 01:10:18 PM »
If comparing size of country, then that point is valid. I see what you mean, Paul. But in my using Creat./Black Lagoon as an example, material from that movie shows up in many auctions and even though it does, it still can command a good price, even though it is not all that rare (quantity).

Same with other examples mentioned in this thread- This Gun For Hire, Attack of the 50' Woman, Forbidden Planet, BAT or Jaws. Nice prices always achieved with new examples appearing on the horizon.

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
If comparing size of country, then that point is valid. I see what you mean, Paul. But in my using Creat./Black Lagoon as an example, material from that movie shows up in many auctions and even though it does, it still can command a good price, even though it is not all that rare (quantity).

Both your points hold for that title -- the US posters show up with some regularity, but are still valuable while the U.K. posters are completely unknown. Zero 1st release Creature quads have surfaced publicly.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »
I can appreciate why British posters from pre-1940 are so scarce, mainly due, as I understand it, to the paper drives and general destruction in the Second World War. I am unsure as to why posters from the 1950s (which would cover the Creature years) appear to be equally scarce. I don't think Britain ever had the equivalent of the poster exchanges in the US, so what happened to these 50s titles - were they just thrown away in the end? 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
After the War, there was huge wide-spread poverty throughout the UK, even into the 50's. In the bad winters, people were even burning their furniture to stay warm, so posters had no chance.  Not sure if you are old enough to remember Martin, we still had rationing for certain items into the 1960's.   So any posters 50's or back over are jolly scarce over here..

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
I actually have a ration card in my name (I was only a tot) for the year rationing ended (1954)!

It's still a bit of a mystery though isn't it, Paul, that so few posters survived in the 50s. I know we used paper twists to light our fires but I don't remember any posters going up the chimney - maybe my dad wasn't lucky enough to get hold of any!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »
They will have been used by people local to, or working for the Cinemas, I have a couple of posters from that time that were used as underlay to stop carpets sticking to the floor boards etc.  Plus we need to bare in mind, we're a small country, so quite limited print runs.

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »
Star Wars?  Pulp Fiction Lucky Strike?  Breakfast at Tiffany's?
I believe those are good examples of posters which have emotional connections. People remember the movie and even though there are a lot of the posters around it becomes a "oh, I remember that when I was a kid" or "My first date with my wife..." So people are willing to pay a lot more for them.

I remember a doctor's office who had rock n roll posters all over and I saw a few concerts which I had gone to see. I asked how much they spent on the poster but the response was shocking. They spent a few hundred on the poster and a few hundred on the mounting/framing. Yet the poster was really common.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
After the War, there was huge wide-spread poverty throughout the UK, even into the 50's. In the bad winters, people were even burning their furniture to stay warm, so posters had no chance.  Not sure if you are old enough to remember Martin, we still had rationing for certain items into the 1960's.   So any posters 50's or back over are jolly scarce over here..

Good point Paul, where I live we had a cinema from 1904-early 70s and it was then demolished to make way for some shops. My nan can recall the staff in the 50s having bonfires out the back to keep warm.

This ties in nicely with my mum's friend who worked in the cinema from the early 60s until it closed in the early 70s. She told me her boss used to tell her to take piles of 'old crappy film posters' out the back to burn.  :'(

I can only imagine what treasures were disposed off in those bonfires.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
She told me her boss used to tell her to take piles of 'old crappy film posters' out the back to burn.  :'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
Good point Paul, where I live we had a cinema from 1904-early 70s and it was then demolished to make way for some shops. My nan can recall the staff in the 50s having bonfires out the back to keep warm.

This ties in nicely with my mum's friend who worked in the cinema from the early 60s until it closed in the early 70s. She told me her boss used to tell her to take piles of 'old crappy film posters' out the back to burn.  :'(

I can only imagine what treasures were disposed off in those bonfires.

What a story Marc!   crying  crying  crying

But when it's warmth vs posters, I think we all know what's gonna win out, unfortunately.

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
Well, maybe he was just burning multiple copies of "Confessions Of A Window Cleaner" which would be completely acceptable - in fact he could have thrown in copies of the actual film without breaking the hearts of the country's film collectors.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
I dont know that movie, Martin. Is it really that bad?

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
typical British sex farce.  I'll admit it was a guilty pleasure for me in the early days of Cinemax.
-Jay-

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 05:47:22 AM »
Jeff, just google the name Robin Askwith - the resulting photos should be enough.

It's strange how certain comedy doesn't translate across borders or periods of time. Adam Sandler, for example, I've never got him - and it works the other way: I am sure there are plenty of British examples that caused much head scatching on the other side of the Atlantic.