Author Topic: Valuable, but not rare  (Read 13402 times)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
Re: Valuable, but not rare
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
typical British sex farce.  I'll admit it was a guilty pleasure for me in the early days of Cinemax.

Yes, I know what you mean. I suppose the series was in the great tradition of British smut/camp like the Carry On films. Charles Hawtrey saying "and this is Bobby the budgie" can still have me in fits although I would guess those films are a complete mystery to a lot of non-British audiences of a certain age.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
I still like the confessions films. They were of a time long gone, but I look back on them today more with nostalgia. They were never going to be Citizen Kane, or the like, but in the day, they made a stack of money, and cost peanuts to make. Just good fun for an hour or so. I think they more  appealed to us working class fellows, they were simpler times.

I still have them on dvd, and also the posters from the films, I would never sell them, still love that era, but kids of today wouldn't thank you to watch them or collect from them, but what do they know with their pods and tweets.... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »
So you would have been out there retrieving posters from the fire, Paul, not throwing petrol on the flames!

I feel a bit mean now calling old Robin, he never did anyone any harm. I never even thought about "Confessions" still being available on dvd - they'll be having a revival season at the BFI next (well, perhaps not just yet).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
I wouldn't go that far (BFI) but as a bit of a wheez I'll stick one on now-and-then..   They are like "On the Buses" with tit's... ;D

Yes I do have all the posters from the films Martin, quick put that fire out...

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »
You'll be telling me next that you had a poster of Olive up on your wall!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »
Steady, I've just had my Tea...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2017, 02:21:51 PM »
Seeing T's post showing his Laura US OS made me think that particular poster could fit in this thread, too. That poster does show up with some regularity and yet it always sells for a "nice" price.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
Seeing T's post showing his Laura US OS made me think that particular poster could fit in this thread, too. That poster does show up with some regularity and yet it always sells for a "nice" price.

That can't be right, I have it on good authority that "this one-sheet is rarely offered for sale. We have only auctioned four examples of it, and only one in the past 17 years!"
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »

You're right, Jeff.  That's why it took me 15 years, pretty much since I started collecting, to find a folded copy.  They're all over the place.  I should have looked harder.

T
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:21:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
I wasnt saying it's as common as an Attack/ 50 Foot Woman or even a Bieber poster....  ;D

HA has sold a copy 11 times and EMP looks to have auctioned 5 copies, not counting the image shown for their archive. (And regardless of one being folded or backed).

Just meaning that it pops up every now and then.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
The problem with HA is that all of them except one were linenbacked, so you really can't tell if the same copy sold multiple times.

In any case, I really don't believe this is the kind of posters that belong in this thread.  There are way better examples of not rare posters that sell for a lot.  How about Casablanca?  Sold 8 times at Heritage, and one of those 8 times was for $77k.  Now talk about a crazy price for a very easy to find poster.

T
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:33:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »

HA has sold a copy 11 times and EMP looks to have auctioned 5 copies, not counting the image shown for their archive. (And regardless of one being folded or backed).

Yes, but you know the rule - one of the above auctions (not saying who) has auctioned the same copy 11 times, while the other auction has sold the other 5 known copies, individually and has never had an item come back for sale.
So in total, 6 known copies.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
Yes, but you know the rule - one of the above auctions (not saying who) has auctioned the same copy 11 times, while the other auction has sold the other 5 known copies, individually and has never had an item come back for sale.
So in total, 6 known copies.

Then, in that case........... 

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
How about Casablanca?  Sold 8 times at Heritage, and one of those 8 times was for $77k.  Now talk about a crazy price for a very easy to find poster.

not sure that qualifies. six of the eight at Heritage were also backed, with the prior unbacked example selling a decade ago.
The one Bruce just sold was his first-ever auction of an unbacked one and it sold to a dealer, so I would suggest that was close to a wholesale price. Not an easy poster to find unbacked, and ugly as it is - still worth every penny it brings.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
You know I'm joking, right?  Just trying to make a point for Jeff.

T
My Personal Collection