Author Topic: Kerry Haggard Sentenced Today  (Read 21834 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Kerry Haggard Sentenced Today
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
My old law firm got a default judgment against a very famous (and rich) NBA player.

His wife was personally served with the usual summons and complaint at his house and apparently ignored it. 

He appealed the default judgment and lost. 

We made arrangements to garnish his salary and he - finally - paid off the judgment. 

Shouldn't the NBA player been served the summons, not the wife? What if they didnt get on and she tosses it in the bin to his detriment. That does make sense to me.

Charlie

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
So if she couldn't afford attorney fees how will she pay this judgement?  Will this then bankrupt Studio C?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »
Well then what keeps you from selling consigned fakes as original?  At some point you have to take a moral stance about the consequences of your actions.  I am not arguing whether or not what she did was legal or not.  However, she admitted to the poster being 'off' thinking it could be a fake.  What compounds the issue is that it was a freaking Dracula OS.  None of us would be talking about this if it was a Pretty Woman OS...  You have to be aware of your surroundings with something that significant. 

It's like that guy who put new paper on old lobbies; come on...  Unless I grossly underestimate the living made from this service, the poster could and should have been turned away...  Unless she knew what she was doing (with significant evidence) and got cold feet - which may also be why she didn't respond to the summons... 
You raise some intersesting points Charlie...as I said..its a toughy...

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Ok, I checked the New Jersey docket.  Apparently, Studio Conservation did try to file an answer but it was "stricken" for being "nonconforming."

The good news is that the default judgment is against "Studio Conservation Inc.," which is a corporation, and not against Diane Jeffrey personally.  My corporate law is very rusty but normally it's difficult to "pierce the corporate veil" and hold individual owners or employees of the corporation individually liable.  Most small corporations have very few assets.

The other defendant was "Sal Oliveri" of "Film Shows Inc."  Both Oliveri and Film Shows settled for an unknown amount.  "Film Shows Inc." is associated with "Sandy Oliveri" and produces various compilations.  Unclear how they're connected to this case.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:41:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Studio-C will obviously be forced to close under some circumstances.

Mel, if I recall correctly, the Oliveri are somehow connected to Thomas Regas. My personal belief is that something doesn't smell right with those.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »
Diane should be turning over every rock she has to find out if she has any form of personal liability insurance.

Even with the default judgement her insurer may be able to protect her here...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
The most recent post to MOPO, from Diane, setting record straight, re: incorrect comments or assumptions made by some that she ignored the summons, or questions about her having to possibly close shop:

Hi All - I did not think that this would result in so much response both here and on other forums.  A few comments to address some of the questions that have come up:

When I received the initial complaint, I did not ignore it.  I retained an attorney in New Jersey to handle the response.  When it became apparent that I would not be able to keep counsel, I figured I would represent myself.  New Jersey court informed me that due to my company being a corporation, I was not allowed to.  At this point I knew the end result would be a Default Judgment. So it was no surprise to me.

On another forum there has been some discussion about restorers and their obligation to their clients vs moral obligation to the hobby.  In this case, I did the restoration, knowingly restored incorrect information at the bottom, setting up a red flag on this poster.  This poster was sent to John Davis for authenticity, my red flag was changed, obviously to further authenticate the poster.
I publically stated my concerns about the poster and, well, we all know what happened then.

I had planned, well in advance, for the potential ramifications of this case.  This will not close Studio C, we are alive and well.

We have all had "unfair things" happen to us in our life and this happens to be one of mine.  It is just money and thieves/crooks, not really important stuff. That being said, it has still been such a help receiving all the encouraging words from all of you and you will always have my very heartfelt appreciation.

Diane

People like this are an asset to the hobby. They are not cheats or liars, nor doing a disservice to the hobby in any way.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:12:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
Man the old group from Picture Perfect (PM and Studio C) should put you on retainer.  Your confidence in them is rock solid.  Who is that Susan gal on NSF I would love to learn more about the crew from Picture Perfect... Temp secretary to top restorer? Juicy stuff. I really think only someone who actually collects and knows what the hobby is about can be legit and avoid being sucked in by thieves.  Liar / cheat may be harsh - just turn the poster away.. $$$ its a bitch that never lets go..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:49:00 PM by Charlie »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »
Susan was one our most beloved personalities in the poster world who sadly died lat year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:58:29 PM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »
Susan was one our most beloved personalities in the poster world who sadly died lat year.

Thanks Ari...

She sounds like someone I would have enjoyed getting to know...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 04:05:42 AM »
Studio-C will obviously be forced to close under some circumstances.

Mel, if I recall correctly, the Oliveri are somehow connected to Thomas Regas. My personal belief is that something doesn't smell right with those.

I was given some corrected info thgat Oliveri was an ebay seller not connected to Rega, but who was screwed by Haggard. There are more details, though I'm not sure what the particulars are of the lawsuit issues.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Muddyfunster

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
Thanks for posting all this. Fascinating thread.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
I am glad Diane posted on MoPo to clarify all the speculation. 

What I find troubling is that, as I understand, Poster Mountain re-restored the Dracula to add the correct litho # (which Diane noted was incorrect) and then advised Profiles it was an authentic poster?!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
What I find troubling is that, as I understand, Poster Mountain re-restored the Dracula to add the correct litho # (which Diane noted was incorrect) and then advised Profiles it was an authentic poster?!

no adjective describes this blunder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »
Just another article from Bloomberg, back from April 4, 2012, giving another overview of the scandal and sentencing that happened.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-11/frankensteins-fraudster-sentenced-to-6-dot-5-years-in-prison

-Jeff