Author Topic: Kerry Haggard Sentenced Today  (Read 21850 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Kerry Haggard Sentenced Today
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
I am between a rock and a hard place regards what Charlie said.
Diana was simply fullfilling a clients request to do a restoration in a certain way,it would seem Diana had some soul searching with herself,
"something" didn`t feel right about being asked to restore missing pieces that she could not prove for certain deserved to be there,specifically missing text.
Diana states that after she carried out her contracted restoration requirements from her client,"someone" else carried out further restoration work..has Diana explained anywhere how she would know this ?.
Just askin guys..nothing else...

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
There is some more discussion on the moral obligation of restorers in that NS4 thread I do believe...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
I thought I remember reading that Diane purposefully put the wrong litho number on the missing section at the bottom... just on the off chance that the seller was up to no good.  If that is the case, I think she did the right thing.  You can't necessarily blame her for backing and restoring a worthless poster from a paying customer... that happens all the time (check some of the garbage in Poster Mountain's database!) and you can never really know what the customers motivations might be.

Personally I think the judgement is outrageous and a perversion of our justice system.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
There is some more discussion on the moral obligation of restorers in that NS4 thread I do believe...
Morally though Diana did the proper thing right?
When Diana thought that a certain poster that she may have worked on,appears for sale as original 31 she asked questions.
Mr Rega states that the only corner restoration he asked for was to hide pin holes,he mentions nothing about adding missing text in his letter to the Court... :-\

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
This just further justifies that most prominent restorer's are liars/cheats and don't really care about the hobby or the actual restoration/conservation of posters...  If Studio C sanded the back of the S2 they knew it was a bad poster.  Probably got what they had coming... 

incorrect Charlie. as a restorer, she is tasked with restoration. If I send her an injet print and ask it be linenbacked - that's what she does. Diane didn't do anything more or less than her stated job - to restore or linenback and she actually helped by putting wrong information so that if said poster was passed off as something it wasn't, it could be discovered. She is guilty of nothing except failing to get representation, which has resulted in a miscarriage of justice, though it is an outcome that could easily be predicted (and was) if you don't have representation.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
I must disagree Charlie, there's no crime until the crime is committed. As a restorer your job is to restore as your client wants.

If I sent a van to get the suspension beefed up, and the motor tuned up, it doesn't mean I'm going to do a bank job.  

Plus at that end of the poster financial scale. If the poster was going to be sold as original, it would get authenticated anyway. Which it did, only badly...  you do the maths.  In my book Diane is innocent of any crime, and the fact she has to pay that fine is absolutely wrong.  The fact IS She stopped the crime in mid tracks...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
incorrect Charlie. as a restorer, she is tasked with restoration. If I send her an injet print and ask it be linenbacked - that's what she does. Diane didn't do anything more or less than her stated job - to restore or linenback and she actually helped by putting wrong information so that if said poster was passed off as something it wasn't, it could be discovered. She is guilty of nothing except failing to get representation, which has resulted in a miscarriage of justice, though it is an outcome that could easily be predicted (and was) if you don't have representation.
+1

I didn`t know Diana added false info on the poster..
Why Diana did not include this info in her letters to the Judges is a shame,may have helped out a lot.

Thanks Harry.

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
Diane got hosed.  That's a crime in itself.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
Thomas Rega smells like a real rat. He was vague on where and how he got this S2, and vague on how the damage occurred. Studio C was asked by Rega to restore the poster, so that Rega could frame it and hang it on his own wall. Low and behold, a short time later, it is consigned to Profiles. How convenient!

This email excerpt to Poster Mountain from Diane explains much. Here, she stated to John that she thought the poster was a possible reissue or something other. Because Rega said it just going on his wall, why wouldn't she restore it ( in her mind, a possible reissue or repro), as he asked? Only when she saw it consigned to Profiles, did she blow the whistle, as the poster was then being advertised as "the real deal":

"My main concern, and still is, the fact that I questioned the piece I had in here, at the time, due to several items. The piece did not have the “feel”,: of normal poster paper, and it also had some type of remnant backing on the back, sort of like a layer of cardboard. Also, both bottom corners had been meticulously ripped out, only in the section where the text would have been in the borders causing me to think it might be a re-issue or something. I questioned my client on this at the time. He offered little insight to all of this, and stated, its just going to be framed. I did the restoration, and when it came time for the text issue, he dictated what he wanted us to write in that area, which we did, knowing that it probably was not correct."

Even Jim Gresham, a well respected Uni horror collector, who was taken by the Haggard scandal, had this to say on MOPO, yesterday, about Rega:

"I place Thomas Rega in the same low esteem that I have for Kerry Haggard.  Frankly, I am not at all sure they didnt know each other and work together in deceiving our hobby.  Both are no good crooks."

This guy Rega was out to scam a potential buyer, ala Haggard, via the Profiles auction. Diane, in her thought, was restoring a possible "reissue or something," for a private owner. Once it was restored, however, Rega then had an item that he presented to Profiles as a genuine '31 OS. And when Diane started to ask questions, in order to make sure that some modern litho wasnt being offered under false pretenses, she got bit, big time.

Had Diane wanted to "cheat and lie," or thumb her nose at the hobby, she would have kept her mouth shut, rather than speak up and ask questions about this poster when it resurfaced at Profiles.

Instead, for her efforts and 'alerting the media,' she is now saddled with a $260K+ judgment.

Talk about injustice, originating from this character, Thomas Rega.  moron1

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:13:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Diane got hosed.  That's a crime in itself.

Yep, terrible situation to be in.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
Can she appeal, or is that the end of it??
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
Is Mr Rega known to the experts here or is he just a random guy?

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Can she appeal, or is that the end of it??
If funds where unavailable for representation,I would think an appeal would be unaffordable too.

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
One has to hope she will somehow be deemed 'judgement proof' and thereby, although the default judgement is there and on the books, it will never be collected
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Surely the legal system there would make it clear what is required to be done by a defendant and the repercussions of inaction?

I agree she should be able to restore as per customers instructions. Alternative is many restorers engaged to restore it piecemeal, same result. Restoration should be easily spotted by authenticators. But then again after seeing some of MP Gradings, I think authenticators are next to useless, even with the bleeding obvious.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
One has to hope she will somehow be deemed 'judgement proof' and thereby, although the default judgement is there and on the books, it will never be collected
What does judgement proof mean Chris?

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

Next up, Rochester?
The minty white scandal is another episode I`d love you guys to explain for the rest of us..

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »

Dracula OS; All the printer's info missing, the paper not feeling right and then sanding the paper thin...  She knew something was off (my assumption).  Similarly to a bar tender being responsible for cutting off a drunkard, I think restorer's in our hobby should take responsibility when it comes to what they restore. This is especially true for 10K plus items.  I do think with the lack of knowledge concerning restoration and what to look for, it would be very easy to sell restored fakes...

I mean in order to sand something down you would have to temporarily adhere it in the process.  There would be more work to do this...

She does get some merit for blowing the whistle, but should not have done the work with out some written agreement regarding the purpose of the restoration.

Totally agree with you Charlie.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
Surely the legal system there would make it clear what is required to be done by a defendant and the repercussions of inaction?

She presumably received a summons that explicitly warned her that a default judgment would be entered if she failed to answer.  See this New Jersey summons:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/forms/10792_civil_action_summons.pdf

If you do not file and serve a written answer or motion within 35 days, the court may enter a judgment against you for  the relief plaintiff demands, plus interest and costs of suit.  If judgment is entered against you, the Sheriff may seize your money, wages or property to pay all or part of the judgment.

She made the biggest mistake of her life by ignoring this summons.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »
Totally agree with you Charlie.
Know what you mean Mel,although hindsight is 20/20

Tough for everyone involved.

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »
I assume she felt the lawsuit against her was frivolous to some degree and that's why she did not undertake the appropriate procedures.

All she had to do was answer - even if she was going to defend herself. 

Regardless, from an empathic position, I truly think it is a shame this has happened to her...
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »

Regardless, from an empathic position, I truly think it is a shame this has happened to her...
Absolutely.

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »

Well then what keeps you from selling consigned fakes as original?  At some point you have to take a moral stance about the consequences of your actions.  I am not arguing whether or not what she did was legal or not.  However, she admitted to the poster being 'off' thinking it could be a fake.  What compounds the issue is that it was a freaking Dracula OS.  None of us would be talking about this if it was a Pretty Woman OS...  You have to be aware of your surroundings with something that significant. 

It's like that guy who put new paper on old lobbies; come on...  Unless I grossly underestimate the living made from this service, the poster could and should have been turned away...  Unless she knew what she was doing (with significant evidence) and got cold feet - which may also be why she didn't respond to the summons... 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
My old law firm got a default judgment against a very famous (and rich) NBA player.

His wife was personally served with the usual summons and complaint at his house and apparently ignored it.  

He appealed the default judgment and lost.  

We made arrangements to garnish his salary and he - finally - paid off the judgment.  

Charlie

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
I must disagree Charlie, there's no crime until the crime is committed. As a restorer your job is to restore as your client wants.

So if your client asks you to do something highly suspect, that's ok?  Not IMO.  You have to have some integrity/strength of character with anything you do.  If this was an err on her part thinking it was 100% real then fine, a mistake.  But she openly admits to thinking it off, even changing the fine print?  Sanding the back down.  Why sand it down?  To make it look more original - that is highly suspect.  Perhaps just poor judgement on her part.  By not responding to the summons this may be the obvious flaw.

The judgment amount is way to high though.  I wonder what they based it on - the potential selling price of the poster?  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:51:30 PM by Charlie »