Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 632766 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: James Bond
« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Irish quad for Goldfinger has hit $1,000:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #651 on: October 12, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »
Given the condition and the rarity... I would guess that it will go for $3.5-$4K minimum... if not much more. 

However, in the future you might refrain from putting up in progress auctions in case some here might be bidding.  I'm sure you would appreciate the same if it was something you were bidding on.  I know I'm glad you didn't get wind of that Big Lebowski int'l 1-sheet... otherwise I would have had to pay more than double what I did! 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #652 on: October 12, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »
Given the condition and the rarity... I would guess that it will go for $3.5-$4K minimum... if not much more. 

However, in the future you might refrain from putting up in progress auctions in case some here might be bidding.  I'm sure you would appreciate the same if it was something you were bidding on.  I know I'm glad you didn't get wind of that Big Lebowski int'l 1-sheet... otherwise I would have had to pay more than double what I did! 

As you know that issue has been debated many many times on this board and there's never been a consensus.  Once it hits $1,000, it's fair game for public discussion in my book. There are very few APF members who are playing at that level.  This particular one was not going to slip "through the cracks."

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #653 on: October 13, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »

Mel has shares in eBay  ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #654 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
As you know that issue has been debated many many times on this board and there's never been a consensus.  Once it hits $1,000, it's fair game for public discussion in my book. There are very few APF members who are playing at that level.  This particular one was not going to slip "through the cracks."

Just because you don't agree with everyone else doesn't mean there wasn't a consensus  ;)

Seriously though, its easy to dismiss it as 'fair game' when you aren't bidding.  The price of the poster shouldn't matter... we all collect in different price ranges.  Most of us know your collecting habits Mel and I doubt many people have 'outted' under-priced posters here... in fact I've even sent you links on occasion (exclusively I might add) hoping to help you get a deal.  There are definitely plenty of Bond collectors here on APF so it is just a common courtesy. 

And don't be so quick to assume that even high priced posters won't fall through the cracks...  I know I've found some killer bargains on eBay (that luckily weren't discussed on APF), even at $1K+. 

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #655 on: October 13, 2011, 04:28:54 AM »
I agree with Matt 100%. It's not because it's Mel who has upset the applecart, it could have been anyone. I, too, have on a couple of occasions scored some great, rare Bond pieces on eBay and other websites because they have fallen through the cracks so-to-speak. Whether a poster is worth under $100 or over $1000 does not matter. What matters here is that Mel knows for a fact there are collectors here who are going to bid on this poster, but he still went ahead with posting the auction. I also would like to advise Mel not to make statements declaring there aren't many at all who are capable of competing in the $1000+ price range - he does not know what goes on behind closed doors and so cannot make such bold statements of perceived truth based on the words typed in a forum. I honestly believe that had the roles been reversed, World War 3 would have erupted. I must state for the record that this is just my opinion and, for fear of wrongful accusation, is not an attack on Mel - i know some will think otherwise, but i would have wrote the same had anyone else said what was said. Thank you.
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #656 on: October 13, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
As I posted in the mid-auction thread, you are just rehashing arguments made and lost ages ago by the "majority," led by "Con Man Carson."

As for this particular Irish quad, you are living in dreamland if you think my "outing" it here will affect the final price at all.  It's a $5,000 - $10,000 poster that has already exceeded $1,000 after just three days (with four days to go) with three active bidders, one of whom has 10,000+ Ebay feedback (almost certainly a dealer).  There was a slim chance it could have "slipped through the cracks" but it didn't.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #657 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
At first glance this might seem a bit mad but fingers crossed I've still got all me marbles.

I recently saw an ebay auction for an 'embossed' (centre title and 007) QoS single sided US 1s (top right below) and decided I'd go for it even tho I'd never seen one before and never heard of a film poster being embossed. The seller was quality and even threw in a single sided gloss varnish US 1s (top left below) for free so I could see the difference! Unfortunately the seller got their 'embossing' confused with 'spot varnishing' and the poster I paid for had the centre title and 007 spot varnished so it was glossy on the matt paper (not embossed!). When I messaged them and said if I'd have known I'd have just bought the double sided version they apologised and sent me the normal double sided version (bottom right below) for free as well!

Sooo, up till then I'd paid (not a lot) for one poster and received three! At this point I was interested why so many of the same poster were printed, seems a complete waste of money to me. I understand teasers (minimal information, sometimes lacking the films title and possibly a tag line like 'Coming Soon' or 'November', not usually rated), advances (titled, sometimes lacking credits and possibly a tag line 'Coming Soon', 'November' or even a specific date, possibly with the rating box) and regular posters (credits, date of release and ratings box) but these all seemed random.

I saw another single sided version with no month or day of release on it (bottom left below) and as I'd never seen that version (and was intrigued) I bought it. So here we have four posters for the same film, all with credits (some rated some not) and the same image (although cropped differently on a couple).

If my rationale for teasers, advances and regular posters are correct this is how the four should work:

i. No month/date ss vers. (bottom left) - teaser/advance - credits and ratings box
ii. 'November' ss vers. (top left) - advance - credits, month, no ratings box but soundtrack box
iii. 'November 14' ss spot varn. vers. (top right) - regular/final - credits, date and ratings box
iv. 'November 14' ds vers. (bottom right) - regular/final - credits, date and ratings box

So I don't understand why what I'd expect to be the earliest printing of the poster (no month or date) has the ratings box, but the version with just 'November' has the soundtrack box rather than the ratings one?

Then you get onto the difference in cropping of the main image... the no month no date ss version (bottom left) seems to have the same crop as the 'November 14' ss rated version (top right)... but the 'November' ss soundtrack box version (top left) has the same crop as the 'November 14' ds rated version (bottom right)!!!!?

Ahhh does that make any sense at all!? Why spend all the money on what is essentially the same poster but crop the main image differently and add/subtract the month/date and credits box in what seems a random way? After all that perhaps this is the order they were printed:

i. 'November' ss vers. (top left) - credits, month, no ratings box but soundtrack box
ii. No month/date ss vers. (bottom left) - credits and ratings box
iii. 'November 14' ss spot varn. vers. (top right) - credits, date and ratings box
iv. 'November 14' ds vers. (bottom right) - credits, date and ratings box

I know there'll be a few more double sided versions of this poster out there, one being with the spot varnish, there's also all the international versions (luckily they've got the main image with brighter blue sky so you can tell the difference). I haven't even studied the international 'blue sky' versions so dread to think how many there are out there.

Anyways, just food for thought really, and it all came about because of the ebay seller I got three posters off for the price of one.

This is my favourite, always good to have a poster without a tagline at the bottom saying when the films being released (imo)...

ps and yes they are all printed perfectly, pin sharp and pristine plus the sizes only vary by a couple of millimetres (although I haven't measured them accurately yet they were the same size as other authentic 1sheets I was photographing at the same time).
pps I haven't even photographed the US subway version of the poster yet Matt! Fingers crossed that's got everything on!

agentprovocateur

« Reply #658 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
Haha just read my own post, madness, feel free to move along... nothing to see here!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #659 on: October 29, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
Haha just read my own post, madness, feel free to move along... nothing to see here!

laugh1
We are all afflicted much the same way. Nice poster(s).  wynk

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #660 on: October 30, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Nice write up.

Never realised there were so many variations of the same poster...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #661 on: October 30, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Further to the above, I am aware there are some further versions although I have yet to get them in my hands to verify.

1. There is an October 31st dated poster.
2. Someone is selling an embossed poster whereby the sand is embossed.  I have never heard of this before.

As an aside, please can you tell me;

1. Whereby the 007 logo is spot varnished and others are not, just how glossy is it because of the two versions I have, both are what you might call slightly shinier but not along the lines of mylar glossiness.

2. Can anyone point me in the direction of a date-less version.  I guess I am looking to agentprovocateur for this information.

Cheers.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #662 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:52 AM »
I think I've got poster Tourettes brude! ;D

Simes, apologies, the embossed sand version you mentioned is the one I went for, I mistakenly wrote the auction said it was the logo but you reminded me the seller said it was the sand that was embossed. Unfortunately it isn't, the paper's matt and the logo's UV varnished.

About the spot UV, yours sound fine, all it is is an extra process on top of the CMYK printing of the poster. Rather than putting a colour down (in the specific area) a shiny varnish is applied to the area making it glossier/shiner than the rest of the poster. I'm not sure what you mean by mylar glossiness but that's how I think these glossy logo posters were printed.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »
Ok - cheers sir.

Where did you get the date-less version from?

And have you seen the October 31 version?

Cheers.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #664 on: October 31, 2011, 07:11:48 AM »
Sorry to side track the discussion...Are those Quantums UK or US One Sheets...I'm asking cause mine has a blue sky...
Ves

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #665 on: October 31, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »
Never mind...I just saw your reference to US....move along.
Ves

agentprovocateur

« Reply #666 on: October 31, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
Ahhh, forgot about the dateless version... I got mine from a seller on ebay, the only place I've seen it.

After about two weeks and it hadn't arrived I contacted the seller, they were surprised it hadn't turned up, so a week later they sent another one! Now it was getting close to the ebay complaint cut off time so I let the seller know I'd have to file it (I think that would have been tomorrow) and they said no worries if the second didn't arrive they'll just refund my money. A tube arrived on Saturday with the poster in it!

I'll pm you with the sellers information Simes, maybe he's got another one.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #667 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
Ok cheers - if the second one turns up, I will buy it from you.

Also, the October 31st dated poster...?  A seller called Cartoon has them.

S.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #668 on: October 31, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »
I have a vague recollection seeing one dated October 31 but not sure where. I just searched for Cartoon on ebay '.com' and '.co.uk' but couldn't find the seller. I'll keep my eye out for one now and let you know if it turns up.

TBH I was not looking at collecting all the various versions of this poster, it just looks like it because one seller sent me 3 for the price of 1! :D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #669 on: November 02, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Who can come up with a clever caption for this pic?

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #670 on: November 02, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
You Only have two feet...and having two feet accompanied with six weights is the only way to live.

Not that creative nor funny but its the best i can do on an hour of sleep.

That picture is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:51:10 PM by Cj »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #671 on: November 02, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »

Mel you dick!  I was going to bid on that!!!  ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #672 on: November 03, 2011, 02:54:13 AM »

That picture is just ridiculous.

Yes it is.....there's far too much wasted space on that Quad. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #673 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
You can have that quad for £200 - been on eBay for ages!
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #674 on: November 03, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »

Caption:

"Pay no attention to the guy with the freaky toes taking the picture!"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:57:16 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »