Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 615202 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1950 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »
There are about three people in the entire world for whom I am performing this public service.  And what is even further questionable is that I know not one of their names.

Skyfall and SPECTRE had a few one sheets and quads produced.  The designs were woeful so this is less about the celebration of art and more about an indexing of variations for the world's three people who could possibly give a sh-t.  The timing of this is due to a couple of additions for variations that I had thought not available.

Below is all that I have in my collection so all these have been printed as opposed to the variety of digital images that make their merry way around the virtual world. 

SF means Skyfall.
US 1 sheets are also probably the International ones.  Read and weep.

SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - October
SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - October in IMAX
SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - November
SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - November in IMAX
SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - December
SF V1 US Teaser 1 Sheet - December in IMAX
SF V1 UK Teaser 1 Sheet - October 26
SF V1 UK Teaser Quad - October 26
SF V2 UK Quad - Bond lying down
SF V2 UK 1 Sheet - Character Bond
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 - with Adele credit
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December in IMAX
SF V3 UK Quad - Gunbarrel / London - Odeon Competition
SF V3 US Quad - Gunbarrel / London - IMAX
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - IMAX
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - October
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - October in IMAX
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - November
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - November in IMAX
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - Coming Soon
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - Coming Soon in IMAX
SF UK Quad - Text only - title and date
SF UK Quad - Piracy Warning

SPECTRE V1 UK Quad - Coming Soon
SPECTRE V1 UK Quad - Coming Soon IMAX
SPECTRE V1 UK Quad - Coming Soon IMAX - Cineworld Competition
SPECTRE V1 UK Quad - Coming Soon - Showcase Competition
SPECTRE V1 UK 1 Sheet - Grey - Coming Soon - Showcase Competition
SPECTRE V1 UK 1 Sheet - Grey - Coming Soon
SPECTRE V1 UK 1 Sheet - Grey - Coming Soon IMAX
SPECTRE V1 US 1 Sheet - White - Coming Soon
SPECTRE V1 US 1 Sheet - White - Coming Soon IMAX
SPECTRE V1 US 1 Sheet - White - November
SPECTRE V1 US 1 Sheet - White - November IMAX
SPECTRE V2 UK Quad - October 26
SPECTRE V2 UK Quad - October 26 IMAX
SPECTRE UK Quad - Piracy Warning
SPECTRE V2 UK 1 Sheet - Coming Soon
SPECTRE V2 UK 1 Sheet - Coming Soon - IMAX
SPECTRE V2 US 1 Sheet - November 6
SPECTRE V2 US 1 Sheet - November 6 IMAX

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1951 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
That isnt really a recall, a recall is "send them back to us". That is a replace, which is very common when new versions come out that they request this. The destroy is also common as they obviously dont want stuff sold. 

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1952 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
This might segue into a previous but similar topic about there being a black Bond. 

In the same way that I proffered that was absolutely fine so long as we can reasonably entertain the idea of Shaft being played by Hugh Grant, Or Obama by Rupert Everett, so too can we consider Wonder Woman being played by Hugh Jackman!

So Bond's whiteness is intrinsic to his character? Not being fictitious, i'm asking as someone who knows fuck all about Bond. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:34:49 PM by ladeda »

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1953 on: February 14, 2018, 02:39:00 AM »
Simes,

Just wondering in regards to the recent sale of this hard to find version of Skyfall (link below) how rare it is? I was keen to bid but it got rather high so i thought i would hold out for another copy

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4989762.html

Thanks mate
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1954 on: February 14, 2018, 05:40:22 AM »
So Bond's whiteness is intrinsic to his character? Not being fictitious, i'm asking as someone who knows fuck all about Bond.

Well, for my insignificant part, about as intrinsic, as I said earlier, as Obama being portrayed by a white actor.  Like Weisz said, if women want to play a spy, get their own character.  Like Jolie's Salt.  One doesn't have to take a lazy route to ticket sales by selling a well known concept and messing with it like that.  It would be a gimmick without lasting effect or duration.

Bond in the novels was described as white, with black hair and a comma of which fell over his right eye.  Clearly we don't currently have that in Craig's portrayal - it just depends on how much one wants to mess with a character's physical description.

All to my mind of course.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1955 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:30 AM »
Simes,

Just wondering in regards to the recent sale of this hard to find version of Skyfall (link below) how rare it is? I was keen to bid but it got rather high so i thought i would hold out for another copy

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4989762.html

Thanks mate

Hi,

Yes.  I mentioned this one at the tail end of the post about the two SPECTRE Odeon posters.  To my mind it was likely to have been a $40 poster.  But, as Bruce said, he had never auctioned one before so I don't know.

I have one I bought when Skyfall was hitting the screens and thereafter did not notice whether others had cropped up for sale.

There were four character banners for the film, of which only one it seems was printed into 1 Sheet format.  I never saw any others in 1 sheet form so it does appear to be an anomaly.

But, the price did surprise me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1956 on: February 14, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
Well, for my insignificant part, about as intrinsic, as I said earlier, as Obama being portrayed by a white actor.  Like Weisz said, if women want to play a spy, get their own character.  Like Jolie's Salt.  One doesn't have to take a lazy route to ticket sales by selling a well known concept and messing with it like that.  It would be a gimmick without lasting effect or duration.

Bond in the novels was described as white, with black hair and a comma of which fell over his right eye.  Clearly we don't currently have that in Craig's portrayal - it just depends on how much one wants to mess with a character's physical description.

All to my mind of course.

Craig doesnt strike me as a Bond persona at all. He doesn't fit "the look," and he almost has a face better suited to a villain (in only my mind's eye and thought, of course).

I looked at Timothy Dalton's portrayal in much the same way. Yes, he had the dark shock of hair and build, but he is look always struck me as more evil or sinister. (And maybe that's one of the reasons that his version of Bond was short lived?)  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1957 on: February 23, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
One for here and also the What's on Your Walls thread...

Something I did for a friend who wanted something OHMSS on his wall.  Bought from EMP, archivally restored by Alain Bourguoin and framed in Windsor with museum glass (UV and non-reflective).

So chuffed was he with the results (all fold lines removed etc.) that he is thinking the way to go is for one insert from each of the actors.  Connery, Moore and maybe Dalton if life progresses that far.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1958 on: March 13, 2018, 06:23:30 AM »
A couple for the Bond thread and also the March Acquisitions thread.

First up is something that should, in my right mind, make me question myself.  Define the interest, define the boundaries, define any damned thing.  But lo, behold the 70's oranges, celebrate the bold type, and marvel at the mainstream company tie-in between Bond and Woman's Own magazine.

The chap even said in the auction, Ewbank's, 'one only for the completists.'  Oh Lord, I thought.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1959 on: March 13, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
This one might be a little more interesting.

You do this for long enough, time says you've seen all the variations and idiosyncrasies of a particular poster design.  Well, a post on this forum lead me to Wolfgang's Kino poster site and there was a Spy 1 Sheet poster that had been sold, the image of which remained though.

It showcased an alternate type and colour for the tag line at the top of the poster.  I was obviously aware of the fully red one, had relatively recently been introduced via Adam's site to the all blue one (and subsequently acquired), but this was red and blue in the same font as the all blue version.

A search in the Heritage and emp archives informed me that they had both never sold one...!

An email to Wolfgang got me the email address of the chap who bought it together with the information that he too, Wolfgang, had never noticed the difference.  Emailing the buyer elicited no response.  The poster itself was in fairly used and abused condition, but nonetheless...

Thinking I had come across something that would Never again be sold, I settled into a feeling of resignation.  ...Until the very following week when Heritage popped up a mint and rolled version of the very same poster!  Not sure anyone else noticed either (at least, of those who were in the market.  A friend did also bring it to my attention) as it went for a reasonable price for a rolled 70's 1 Sheet.

Below the poster and the variations.  The red and blue strip is blown up from the Heritage image, not something I took, hence the pixelated artefacts.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:40:12 AM by Simes »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1960 on: March 16, 2018, 07:40:59 AM »
Hi,

Yes.  I mentioned this one at the tail end of the post about the two SPECTRE Odeon posters.  To my mind it was likely to have been a $40 poster.  But, as Bruce said, he had never auctioned one before so I don't know.

I have one I bought when Skyfall was hitting the screens and thereafter did not notice whether others had cropped up for sale.

There were four character banners for the film, of which only one it seems was printed into 1 Sheet format.  I never saw any others in 1 sheet form so it does appear to be an anomaly.

But, the price did surprise me.

There were four one sheets.
I saw them at a show one day.

A couple for the Bond thread and also the March Acquisitions thread.

First up is something that should, in my right mind, make me question myself.  Define the interest, define the boundaries, define any damned thing.  But lo, behold the 70's oranges, celebrate the bold type, and marvel at the mainstream company tie-in between Bond and Woman's Own magazine.

The chap even said in the auction, Ewbank's, 'one only for the completists.'  Oh Lord, I thought.

Amazing piece to have.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1961 on: March 16, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
There were four one sheets.
I saw them at a show one day.
That so?  Damn.

Amazing piece to have.
Ya think?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1962 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
Yeah, I saw them at the Westminster Fair mate.
Probably the rarest SF set going.

The Woman's Own poster isn't exactly awe inspiring, but for the rarity it's a no-brainer!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1963 on: March 21, 2018, 05:26:23 AM »
Central Hall?  Grief, didn't know that was still going?

Did you buy them?  Or remember what they were going for?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1964 on: March 21, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Central Hall?  Grief, didn't know that was still going?

Did you buy them?  Or remember what they were going for?

The Westminster Fair has been going for years, but my mate who used to work for them told me Showmasters bought it out which probably spells the end of it. They destroyed Autographica and will likely do the same to this.

I went to buy them, but the guy had already sold all his sets to one person and wouldn't let me have the ones he TAPED to the wall...yes, taped to the wall. I think he sold them for just £60 per set!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1965 on: March 21, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
Hmm.

Seems I am shy of a further three SF posters then.

Of course, taping.  The sign of a poster professional.  He probably folded them before taking them home.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1966 on: March 21, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »
Hmm.

Seems I am shy of a further three SF posters then.

Of course, taping.  The sign of a poster professional.  He probably folded them before taking them home.

This guy would often use one set for display and the others to sell.
He once gifted me a few CR character posters as they were damaged due to displaying. I subsequently gave them away to some collector friends. I was never going to sell them in the state they were in.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1967 on: March 28, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
For those perusing this thread, something copied from the March 2018 thread.

Thomas Nixdorf's original art Facebook site.

"If you like Dan Goozee's perspective art, you can see a bunch of concept arts on this site.  All originals owned by the first chap to do a poster book on Bond.

All sorts of weird angles up the Eiffel Tower and on top of the extended ladders of a fire truck.  Brilliant stuff."

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.102348066521732.5044.100002396168878&type=3

This second link will have Bond actually aiming at something.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273761146047089&set=a.102348066521732.5044.100002396168878&type=3&theater

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1968 on: March 28, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Ah, Nixdorf.
Cool guy...too much original art in his possession though (like I told him lol)!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1969 on: March 30, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #1970 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:42 PM »
This one might be a little more interesting.

You do this for long enough, time says you've seen all the variations and idiosyncrasies of a particular poster design.  Well, a post on this forum lead me to Wolfgang's Kino poster site and there was a Spy 1 Sheet poster that had been sold, the image of which remained though.

It showcased an alternate type and colour for the tag line at the top of the poster.  I was obviously aware of the fully red one, had relatively recently been introduced via Adam's site to the all blue one (and subsequently acquired), but this was red and blue in the same font as the all blue version.

A search in the Heritage and emp archives informed me that they had both never sold one...!

An email to Wolfgang got me the email address of the chap who bought it together with the information that he too, Wolfgang, had never noticed the difference.  Emailing the buyer elicited no response.  The poster itself was in fairly used and abused condition, but nonetheless...

Thinking I had come across something that would Never again be sold, I settled into a feeling of resignation.  ...Until the very following week when Heritage popped up a mint and rolled version of the very same poster!  Not sure anyone else noticed either (at least, of those who were in the market.  A friend did also bring it to my attention) as it went for a reasonable price for a rolled 70's 1 Sheet.

Below the poster and the variations.  The red and blue strip is blown up from the Heritage image, not something I took, hence the pixelated artefacts.

$191 is indeed "reasonable"!

24S not bad too.....

guest4955

« Reply #1971 on: April 02, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »
All re-releases except YOLTs:

But bigger is betterer....

6s:

24s:

guest4955

« Reply #1972 on: April 04, 2018, 03:11:41 AM »
Bought TSWDM today vs. 1974 door panel (?) TSWLM:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1973 on: April 04, 2018, 04:03:20 AM »
Nice.

Spy was '77.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1974 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
Hey, Simon. The GG quad is, shall we say, different. I've never seen one but it's definitely rare. Of the 3 SPY 1-sheets, I think the red and blue variation is the most attractive. What puzzles me is why would UA or Broccoli would change it, unless it was a test run and somebody either approved or disapproved it. A rare curiosity for sure.
If your friend with the OHMSS insert is serious, He'll have a hard time finding a Dalton insert, since inserts for the Bonds ended with AVTAK. Perhaps a daybill could fill in?