Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 621207 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1800 on: June 15, 2016, 05:45:59 PM »
Ah - begging your pardon.  This will have been added in.

The film was actually released in 1974, so the whole 1975 date is a bit of a mystery.  This is the thrust of the questioning to the seller who apparently worked in Wardour St in London where the majority of the film distribution offices resided.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1801 on: June 23, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
FYEO 35 tomorrow  bed1

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1802 on: July 15, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
Could somone go through this thread and just put all the pictures in one spot  ;D

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1803 on: August 23, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
Bit of a unicorn this one, for me.

I do not display many posters and the two that I do have are not representative of my collection; which is predominantly James Bond, US and UK.  That said, I do have a first release French, From Russia with Love poster by Boris Grinsson and a US 1 Sheet for The Saint's Vacation.  Both properly restored, backed, framed and up.

Since I had the Russia poster, I was introduced to this rarity, also by Grinsson, for Dr No.  The very rare insert-sized poster.  I have no idea what it is called.  I saw it once being auctioned on emp, but before the above Russia was properly found and bought.  And since then, liked it enough to keep looking.  Auction History archives showed that (in the places I know of) it had been auctioned three times only.  I am sure you will correct me.

But then, following chats with the chap who I have referenced in regard to the heavily restored Goldfinger Hand Quad and its turnaround to Ewbanks next month, I was introduced to his site....

Where I found and, tonight, bought the below.

Virtually mint, minimal fold lines, very bright colours.  I love it and this will also be framed and up.  Thereby belying the representation of the collection's content, again.

Here is the chap's site.  Woefully under promoted, hopelessly unmarketed, disastrously connected to the trending world - by his own admission.  He Only lurks here, FFS.

http://originalvintagemovieposters.co.uk/Categories_Vintage_Movie_Posters
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:44:01 PM by Simes »

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1804 on: August 23, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »

Beautiful poster---really captures the feel of Dr. No.
-Brian

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #1805 on: August 23, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
Funnily enough I had a good look at this on Simon's site as well. Bond isn't really my thing but it's beautiful enough to have caught my eye.

I've bought off of Simon before, very good service.

Congrats on the pick up, deserves to be with a Bond fan.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1806 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
Yep, I've loved that one ever since T shared it a while back. Beautiful poster, congrats Simes!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1807 on: August 24, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
Seems to be a good week for me. 

Apologies that these aren't going in the August Acquisitions thread but as there are a few threads that these updates could go in...

Anyway, a few may know that I am fairly nuts when it comes to Bond lobby cards.  I have basically got all the UK, US and English language international sets, and all of the infinite variations therein.  I have even written an article that got popped up on a few sites.

The second of this week's unicorns was a UK 11x14 lobby card for Goldfinger that I have been trying to acquire to complete a set of four.  For some reason, back in the day, the UK elected to produce a set of four, for both Goldfinger and Thunderball.  They are a rarity.  Very few are aware of them.  They are however mentioned in the UK Campaign Books but at the end of the day, they aren't as readily recognisable as their US counterparts.

I have been harassing this poor guy to sell this card for the last six or so years.  And this week it came good.

While I picked up the one card which is of Connery and Eaton on the bed, having fun, herewith a pic of the entire set.  And below that, a pic of the already completed set of four for Thunderball.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1808 on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
Does the press-book say just 4 in the set Simon?

Most odd, I have some from this period that have the full 8 in the set.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1809 on: August 25, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
The eight you are referring to 'may' be the FOH cards at 10x8 inches.

The two sets I have illustrated above are in the campaign book as sets of four, 11x14 inches.

Hope this helps.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1810 on: August 25, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »
Or, the eight you are referring to are the US sets of 11x14 Lobbies.  These are the UK sets.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1811 on: August 25, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »
11x14 Simon, the UK also produced this size Lobby cards, usually in sets of 8.

However for these two films they only did the set of 4...  most odd.   Just shows you never know with UK stuff.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1812 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »
Hmm, we get into points of contention here.  Or maybe my lack of knowledge.

The UK only started producing 11x14 lobbies for the Bond films from View to a Kill.  This was the cross over point where actually, both the UK AND the US produced a set.

No mention is made in the UK Campaign books of any Lobby sets for 11x14 for any of the other films prior to this.

Could I ask you to email over some examples.  Think you still have my address from the Chantrell Ewbanks days.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1813 on: August 25, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Will dig some out Simon. They will be mostly Horror film stuff..

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1814 on: August 25, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
Right.

Thought we were only talking Bond here.  I know nothing of Horror so you could well be right.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1815 on: August 29, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1816 on: September 10, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1817 on: September 13, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
I just want to say congrats to Simon for his pickups recently.
That TMWTGG quad is a massive rarity and almost impossible to find.

Well done mate.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1818 on: September 13, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »

Nice pick up Tang!  What's the story with these Italian 1-sheets?  Are they from the first release?

• Hoarder
« Reply #1819 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
They're advance yes.....I paid an arm and a leg for it (most expensive in my collection by far)  but I really really wanted it  :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1820 on: September 17, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »
They're advance yes.....I paid an arm and a leg for it (most expensive in my collection by far)  but I really really wanted it  :P

Yes, I've only seen a couple -- all from the same seller. 

Congrats!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1821 on: October 04, 2016, 05:21:07 AM »
Some time back, I posted an image of a From Russia with Love lobby card whose origins were curious.

http://illustrated007.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/mystery-card.html

(I can't for the life of me find the thread or the post, so herewith courtesy of someone else's blog)

There were thoughts of it being Irish or maybe South African.  The Irish connections being the UK art, that the girl iconography shows her dressed and censored as per Irish requirements of the time and the A certificate.  The Sth African connections being because, where else could it have come from?

Well, I chanced upon this recently.  A Sth African 1 Sheet.

http://uk.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-91915/From_Russia_with_Love.html

Similarities between artwork being;

1. the 007 logo at the base of the Connery art
2. the general yellow colour
3. the A certificate, surprisingly.

Differences being;

1. Connery's face seems to have been redrawn or illustrated.
2. the girl iconography is 'freer' on the poster than the lobby card!!

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:23:57 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1822 on: October 11, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
Hey Jeff,

Just popped back on to this thread to see about bumping it, and noticed your fine contribution to getting the images up.  I tried doing exactly what you appeared to have done but I failed.

Many thanks indeed.  Much better.

So, could I harass for any input or ideas as to the origins of the lobby card, or is it just that it is now blindingly obvious?

Thanks.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1823 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:01 AM »
I reckon you have it, not that I am an expert on this, but sure looks like you solved it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1824 on: October 11, 2016, 07:03:30 AM »
Which begs the question(s);

1. Was Sth Africa a lobby card producing nation at this time?  Did they produce their own content or did they normally piggy back on the US product?
2. If they did, did the sets come in standard sets of eight, or some other number?
2. The answer to which may answer this one, which is, Was the 'Russia' set a one-off?

To date, I am only aware of just two cards from SA for 'Russia'.  The other one detailing a shot from inside the SPECTRE training camp.

Cheers chaps.