Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 615551 times)

Mirosae

Re: James Bond
« Reply #1700 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
And a better return if you do it by a private sale. I sold one of mine recently and managed to make a very small margin, still..good deal for me.

Hope you have better luck next time Simon.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1701 on: June 19, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
Hi Paul,

The two examples of this poster I bought from ebay on a 99p start.  So they weren't listed at anything exorbitant - it was an honest-to-goodness auction in the truest sense of the word whereby both posters found their market value at very similar sums.

So, I didn't make a mistake at all.  (I had bought that poster as an attempt at leverage to tempt someone else's posters away from them - this ploy didn't work though.)  I was however thinking that with the enthusiastic buying souls over at emp, it would have run away a bit.

Anyway, British posters to be sold in the UK from here on in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:19:03 PM by Simes »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1702 on: June 19, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
Well, it went for ~$340.

I must admit to surprise at that sum.  I have seen, and ended up in buying, only two examples of this poster.  Both were on ebay.co.uk and both were ~£500.

This is an example where ebay proved better than emp, surprisingly.  Which leads me to a question;

Is there any feeling or experience that UK posters do not fare as well on emp as on a UK based auction site?  US posters on emp do very well.  Is there not an appetite for UK posters, by comparison?

On another note, this makes for the second large(ish) loss on a poster purchase and sale.

1. I bought from Vectis a Dr No quad which was very heavily restored and perhaps I should have returned it.  I spent £3700, and, having returned it to Vectis, it sold, commission free, for £950.

2. And of course the above Goldfinger / Thunderball quad that cost me £500 and sold for $340 - however that translates to me in terms of auction profit.

Quite clearly, I won't be the Next Big Thing in poster dealing!

Thanks for sharing the info here, Simon. :)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1703 on: June 20, 2015, 03:17:04 AM »
Hi Paul,

The two examples of this poster I bought from ebay on a 99p start.  So they weren't listed at anything exorbitant - it was an honest-to-goodness auction in the truest sense of the word whereby both posters found their market value at very similar sums.

So, I didn't make a mistake at all.  (I had bought that poster as an attempt at leverage to tempt someone else's posters away from them - this ploy didn't work though.)  I was however thinking that with the enthusiastic buying souls over at emp, it would have run away a bit.

Anyway, British posters to be sold in the UK from here on in.

Simon,  The problem I have with the bay is you don't know who your bidding against!   You may just be bidding against yourself if the seller has his, brother , uncle, sister, friend, second ID, chasing it up.  It happens on a daily basis, and that's just the ones I see doing it. So even prices attained on the bay may not be accurate.

I bid on one of those D/B's on the Bay, but bailed when the prices got silly, and I will pay more than most for a text only poster..

The rule will always be, buy for enjoyment.  If your going to buy for profit, you must really know your market, and if stuff goes too high move on to the next poster. Dealers will never pay top Dollar. I know dealers who have and they have been stuck with the same stuff for years, unable to sell..  I could post loads of examples, but that's another thread.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1704 on: June 20, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
I daresay some of that will happen with the bidding against oneself on ebay, but to be perfectly frank, this is not the preserve of just ebay but the known deal if going into Any auction.  Shill bidders can be everywhere.  At the end of the day, I didn't bid in the normal sense but just put in the final bid via Gavelsnipe or some such.

And I am perfectly aware of the rule to enjoy - my initial question was about anyone's experiences of UK posters going for less in the US, than in the UK, and nothing to do with enjoyment per se.  And my aim with the sales of the posters was just to recover funds, and Not to make a profit.

With doubles I normally do achieve this (I very rarely have doubles though) but these were just two anomalies that I thought worth sharing.

To confirm, I am still smiling, still enjoying, and not looking to profit.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1705 on: June 20, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
I maybe misunderstood the comment about using them as leverage to get someone else's posters from them.. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1706 on: June 20, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
Yeah - this was a flawed plan.  I took a chance on something that I didn't have high hopes for, but took a shot at it.

There are a couple of people I know who have a couple of Bond double feature quads and a very rare UK 11x14 lobby card for Goldfinger.  I wondered if they would part ex one of theirs for this Gf/Th quad.  'Of course,' everyone says, 'that means they don't 'add' to their collection, just swap something out.'

So they all said No.  Unsurprisingly.

The rest of the initial question was just around comparative sales of UK posters on either side of the pond, purely for my edification.

Cheers fella.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1707 on: June 27, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
Posting here, as well.  :D

I was watching this... it looked interesting and sold on the bay for only $37.01 USD. The bottom border looks to have been trimmed off. Would this be a first release? A later RR? Or something else?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:01:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1708 on: July 07, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
My first (and only) Bond poster.  JP B2 size. :)

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1709 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
Very nice, Jeff.
The typography really sets the image off.
 cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1710 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
Careful Jeff, Bond posters is a slippery slope....    ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1711 on: July 09, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
So ive heard, Paul. Tho I think the grade is a bit more gentle here (crossing fingers).  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1712 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
 ;D

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1713 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »
Which leads me to a question;

Is there any feeling or experience that UK posters do not fare as well on emp as on a UK based auction site?  US posters on emp do very well.  Is there not an appetite for UK posters, by comparison?

I reckon for sure, not just UK posters either.

But for sure, UK films and their posters do better in UK than in the U.S.

if for example I was selling some nice Ealing posters, I wouldn't bother in the states. It's of interest to Brits, mainly and probably also to a degree the colonies. For my collecting, I am surprised how cheap US hammer material goes for,  even in comparison to the often much uglier Aussie stuff. But I think there is more of an interest in hammer here than in America, and of course in the UK, it's well established as sought after.

So, I think, not just the poster format being British, but the film being British also, usually makes it better to sell in Britain for this stuff.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1714 on: September 08, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »
Not sure if anyone really gives a damn - this being a point for the ultimate in completists.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-SPECTRE-UK-QUAD-POSTER-30-x-40-007-JAMES-BOND-DANIEL-CRAIG-FREE-P-P-/151807867838?hash=item2358743bbe

The SPECTRE quad with the words Experience in IMAX under the Coming Soon words, does exist.  For the most part though, adverts for this poster just show a digital image for something without IMAX.  It is important to ask first.  To date, I've only seen one for sale!

That said, this person does actually highlight the fact his/her poster doesn't entirely have that which they are advertising.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1715 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
Have you seen this new one, Simes?

http://www.impawards.com/2015/spectre_ver4.html

Btw, any truth to the rumors that Tom Hardy will be the next Bond?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1716 on: September 08, 2015, 06:28:58 AM »
Yup.

Not sure whether this is the final or an interim.  Also, there is a Standee version of this that includes Lea Sedoux.  Don't really like as Craig is once again under the glare of an arc light, as he was for the final Skyfall poster.  And also for a complete lack of artistic merit.

I don't pay any attention to Next Bond rumours until the incumbent has (been) stood down.  At this stage, Craig is likely to be up for one more.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1717 on: September 17, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »
I wonder if this banner will make it on to a 1sht or Quad....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1718 on: September 27, 2015, 07:33:04 AM »
What do you know, it did!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1719 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
That was quick work.

Hope you didn't pay a hundred million pounds for the pleasure of being the very first to own sir.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1720 on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
You know me Simon, tight Yorkshireman.. ;)

Cost me a few pints, that was it.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1721 on: September 27, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
That's a way to do business.  Congrats.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1722 on: September 27, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I wish all business was that simple.........and cheap :D

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1723 on: October 03, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZ_j_UacDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60QDPPISeq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-J-e-LcsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gw-YXThVQ0

To restore that DN 4sh set me back few 100 euros but well worth it imo (it had nasty black marker on the back & showed thru)

Also I went to Autografica where I met :

Lonsdale aka Hugo Drax (1st ever signing  notworthy.gif

Dor aka Helga/SPECTRE #11 (ditto)

Lonnberg aka Drax' space girl/museum girl (added another sig to my MR japan calendar , only 2-3 to go now)

Bochenko aka Drax' space girl/Venini shop girl (MR was 36 yrs ago but she looks like she's only aged like 15 yrs tops since then , wow)

Vijay from Ocotpussy (he smiled when I mentioned he no-showed in Bham last yr , lol ;)

(Autografica Bham '14 was a bad show , both Bob Wall and Vijay no-showed , on top of that a grumpy Kenny Baker  :-\

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1724 on: October 04, 2015, 12:01:57 AM »
 clap clap clap clap, Tang!

Who did your DN backing and restoration?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:04:26 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff