Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 615232 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1475 on: June 26, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Indeed sir.

I can make available a higher res image if anyone wants to pour over it.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1476 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
http://www.originalposter.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?rid=4065

An interesting one for sale here.  What are people's thoughts?

Just spoken to the chap who owns the site and was perfectly up front and honest about it all; basically, only the actual art survived due it being cut out from the surrounding text.  The art was then mounted on linen together with other bits of archival blank poster paper from the era which will then have been married up, cracks filled in, cut and shaved to make the 30x40 inch dimensions.

And then, All the text was written on top - from scratch.

I guess this level of infill has been tackled before, most notably and recently on these forums with a Rear Window 3 Sheet which completely recreated James Stewart bottom left.  But, what are the thoughts?

Cheers.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1477 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
It's too bad that the site doesnt allow one to be able to click & see a much larger image of the quad (or any other poster on their site). I'd like to see the image more up close. And it looks like Studio C did the restoration/re-creation work.

Is 1800 GBP a fair price for a Bond piece like this, that has been about 85-90% recreated? Too high? or low?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1478 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »
This "thing", along with a few other posters, sold for 200-ish GBP about a year ago if I recall correctly....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1479 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
Then this "heavily restored" Thunderball was sold by Ewbank's this spring for 1400 GBP -- before the 28% BP!  I think I can see the outline of that restored art to the right of the brunette with the pink hair band...  If this is the same poster, and that dealer bought it.  I'm guessing they are just praying they can recoup their costs...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1480 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:05 PM »
Ok, I just messed with the levels of that Ewbank's image in Photoshop and it clearly looks like the same clipping...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1481 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
Also the thing is Matt, that Thunderball piece never sold first time around, and I was offered it for something like £60.....Maybe I should have bought it... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1482 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
Did they mention the fact that the poster was only about 15-20% original in the auction listing?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #1483 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »
This "thing", along with a few other posters, sold for 200-ish GBP about a year ago if I recall correctly....

Probably be better off just backing the clipping and leaving the text bits out.  That would have been pretty cool.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1484 on: July 09, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
Also the thing is Matt, that Thunderball piece never sold first time around, and I was offered it for something like £60.....Maybe I should have bought it... :-\

What?  I was the underbidder in the original auction... Mainly for the Cool Hand Luke DC (and other DCs) it was sitting on in the photo. You'd think they would have offered it to me first if the winner didn't pay!  moron1

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1485 on: July 09, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
Did they mention the fact that the poster was only about 15-20% original in the auction listing?

No.  Here was the description:

Description
James Bond Thunderball (1965) British Quad film poster, starring Sean Connery, United Artists, linen backed

Condition
This poster has had extensive restoration.

I would have been f'ing furious had I bought it...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1486 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
Hmm - on speaking with the chap today, he made it seem as though he himself had had the restoration work done.

But if the work has been done, and then sold through Ewbanks, I amk wondering if in fact Original Posters just bought as is.

He said he paid Studio C around £900 for the restoration.  Gulp!

As for Erik's question, for my part, it is worthless.  I wouldn't pay anything for it.  One may just as well have paid someone to have painted the whole poster on some linen.  It brings in to question something I rasied earlier in reference to a faded poster and how that is restored - the answer being that everything would have to be painted over.  At what point does an 'original poster' cease to be an original poster?

If one buys a new Ford Focus, and then changes the interior, changes and adds paneling, paints it in a new colour, fits lower profile wheels/tyres (tires) and changes for a more powerful engine, at what point does the car you originally bought, cease to be?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1487 on: July 09, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
What?  I was the underbidder in the original auction... Mainly for the Cool Hand Luke DC (and other DCs) it was sitting on in the photo. You'd think they would have offered it to me first if the winner didn't pay!  moron1

That was the second time they tried to sell it, the first time it was on it's own. I'd rang up to pay my bill, and got Alistair on the phone, he asked if I wanted it at that price, as well as a few other un-sold posters.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1488 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
Simes, Steve is a smashing fellow, unfortunately he live's on another world where prices are concerned...  If I ever sell anything I'm going to join him. ;D

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1489 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
Oh sure.  Totally agree.

I have bought from him in the past, although that was after some decidedly good natured and lengthy bartering over the phone which all ended very happily for both.

Yup, top chap.  And I did wish him the best in finding his buyer.  I was just curious about what the restoration involved, and at that price. 

I had bought last year a Thunderball quad in lovely unbacked, fully dimensioned condition for £2k.  So I couldn't understand what £1.8k was buying one.  An interesting chat though, although I still seem not to understand who actually paid Studio C for the work if this poster has been bought and sold through Ewbanks in a post restoration condition following his words, 'I paid £900 for the work.'

Does this mean it has come back to him again?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1490 on: July 09, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Maybe he tried to sell it through Ewbanks and the buyer returned it?  However, it would be some coincidence that the current selling price is almost exactly the Ewbank's price including BP (1400 GBP + 28.2% = 1794.80)...

As for the seller, I have bought from him as well and was very pleased with the transaction. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1491 on: July 09, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
That ain't a poster, it's an abomination!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1492 on: July 09, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
That ain't a poster, it's an abomination!

No worse than most daybills.........

Schwing!!

:-*

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1493 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
No worse than most daybills.........

Schwing!!

:-*

Well the original poster part is about the size of a daybill so I will give you that
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #1494 on: July 10, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
Oh sure.  Totally agree.

I have bought from him in the past, although that was after some decidedly good natured and lengthy bartering over the phone which all ended very happily for both.

Yup, top chap.  And I did wish him the best in finding his buyer.  I was just curious about what the restoration involved, and at that price. 

I had bought last year a Thunderball quad in lovely unbacked, fully dimensioned condition for £2k.  So I couldn't understand what £1.8k was buying one.  An interesting chat though, although I still seem not to understand who actually paid Studio C for the work if this poster has been bought and sold through Ewbanks in a post restoration condition following his words, 'I paid £900 for the work.'

Does this mean it has come back to him again?

Yes, I agree. I bought from them in the past and cannot complain, in fact I have got mine cheaper (much cheaper) than his original asking price which as Paul say are a bit too high for my pocket.

And as you noted, the restoration work does seem really expensive at £900. I too would like to know why that price, I can see that it needed some work, but that pricing sounds a bit extravagant. It does however look like a decent restoration job.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1495 on: July 26, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
£900.00 does seem expensive, but then a friend of mine was quoted £900.00 by one of the best in the business (IMO) for the backing of a poster, which had tears and no missing pieces, because of the size (three sheet) and because the background colour had to be replaced.

With the TB, whomever completed the work basically had to recreate the type on the poster by hand and for £900.00 I don't think it's too bad, but to buy it I wouldn't much more than £1k.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1496 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »
Further to recent forays into the world of Skyfall, and all that which it didn't deliver in terms of either the moving image or the still image (imo), an update on all the myriad variations of the latter two poster designs.

(I am sure for the most part, no one gives a shit, but in the spirit of contribution and sharing...)

SF V2 UK Character 1 Sheet - Bond
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 - with Adele credit
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December in IMAX

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1497 on: August 06, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
SF V3 UK 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - IMAX
SF V3 UK 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - October
SF V3 UK 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - October in IMAX
SF V3 UK 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - November
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - Coming Soon
SF V3 US 1 Sheet - Gunbarrel / London - Coming Soon in IMAX

I have yet to come across a 'November in IMAX'.  Looking at the above, and if this was presented in a quiz format asking for 'what variation is missing', then this variation would seem to be a shoe-in.

These lists are solely based on my ownership and not on speculation as to 'wot I 'eard from me mate across the street wot knoz 'iz stuff, like'.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1498 on: August 06, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Lol. I give a shit! Ha!

You're missing these two (I know for certain as I've seen them):

SF V2 UK Character 1 Sheet - Eve
SF V2 UK Character 1 Sheet - Severine
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1499 on: August 07, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »
I have never seen those two as 1 shets.  Banners, yes.

I have seen them pop up as smaller dimensioned knock offs.

But either way, I will keep an eye out.

Cheers.