Author Topic: Skateboards  (Read 18008 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Skateboards
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Just recovered these from storage.  I started to sell the McGill on eBay a couple weeks ago, but after seeing it around my abode for a few days, I couldn't part with it.  After 2 days on eBay there were about 50 watchers and a few hundred page views.  Another forum I joined recently is http://skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/.  A lot of awesome art, especially the 80s stuff.

These first two are from the mid-late 80s and they are cooler now than they were back then.  I felt like I took a trip in a time machine after seeing them again after 15 and 20+ years.

I got the Lucky Strike deck in the mid 90s and thought it was real cool, so despite my friends telling me I should put trucks and wheels on it and ride it, I stuck it on my dresser where it was displayed for several years.  It's now a pretty rare deck, and I'm glad I preserved it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:06:07 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Skateboards
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
YES!! Mike McGill! I always loved that deck. My first "real"skateboard was a Lance Mountain modern primitive deck with santa cruz slimeballs.  I loved that thing.  Old decks can be worth alot of dough.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
my first "real" skateboard (read expensive) was a Guerrero like this-

Independant trucks, kryptonic wheels. What a sweet ride.

Then I got into freestyle and got a Mullen, but then got back into street and stuck with my Mullen for it, was so used to it.

Those were the days. got clocked at 60+ KPH one day. Yeeehaw. (no pads, gloves or helmut etc).

I've been thinking of trying to get one to ride again, I hate these new fandangled decks that look the same backwards as forwards ;).
I see they are reissuing the classic 80's boards, and quite cheap (at least compared to what I had to pay in the 80's).
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
my first "real" skateboard (read expensive) was a Guerrero like this-

Independant trucks, kryptonic wheels. What a sweet ride.

Then I got into freestyle and got a Mullen, but then got back into street and stuck with my Mullen for it, was so used to it.

Those were the days. got clocked at 60+ KPH one day. Yeeehaw. (no pads, gloves or helmut etc).

I've been thinking of trying to get one to ride again, I hate these new fandangled decks that look the same backwards as forwards ;).
I see they are reissuing the classic 80's boards, and quite cheap (at least compared to what I had to pay in the 80's).

Who is this and what have you done with our Ari?
Ves

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
CJ, the McGill was my first nice deck.  I remember picking it up at the store like it was yesterday, but it was in about 1988.  The Lance Mountain decks and slimeball wheels are classics also.  It is cool to see how much these sell for now.  I've had numerous offers on the McGill and Sims Staab "mad scientist", and I've heard that the Sims board regularly sells for well over $1,000 in excellent condition.

Ari, I never knew you were into skating.  It's a pretty big culture over in Australia, huh?  A couple of the guys who were sending me offers on my McGill are from Australia. 

I don't know what the quality is like on the reissues, but they look cool. 

60 kph?  Sounds like fun.  I was never into doing twirly flips and stuff, but I love speed.  Always had ultra clean Swiss bearings and good wheels for getting the most speed around flat Florida, and I had some really cool roads near my house called the "pink streets" (because they were painted pink) that were freshly paved ultra smooth with almost zero cracks, great for going fast, but I bet riding in hilly areas would be awesome.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
yeah I was a skater, until I was about 19. Loved it, never left home without it. Albany, has one of the oldest skate parks in Australia.

here it is, I remeber going there with my Dad in 1979

An Error Has Occurred!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »
Cool, Ari.  That looks like a fun, old school park.

The hoverboard ;D. Those were the good ole days.  Someone told my brother that Service Merchandise sold them and I remember calling and asking if they had any. 8)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
after the craze of the 70s/80's they were going to tear this one down, but luckily it was stopped as its the oldest in Western Australia, NOW we have 3 or maybe 4 in town. Dont see the kids skating down the main street like we used to though ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »

Yeah I remember when I had one of those but then I came back from the future...
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:36 AM »
In 1982 Rainbow's End open, NZ's largest amusement park...but the kids of today they wouldn't know that under it is what was the biggest skatepark in the sounthern hemisphere - Coca Cola Skateboard park. The place closed around 77/78 and that was that.

Me...(yes they are short shorts)

David

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:52 AM »
OH good work. or rather RAD!
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
Cowabunga

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
OH good work. or rather RAD!

hehe Rad? Not back then, Rad came along in the mid 80s...geeze memory fade, can't remember what we used - things like A1, mint and other stuff long gone.

Mind you skaters of today are far far better than we ever were, or even could dream
David

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
Get a longboard Ari! sector 9 with sidewinder trucks!!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »
Ari -- before he lost some weight and learned to skate...

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
Broke my arm on one of those small, slim 70's boards. Still have it.
Wheels made from resin which just stopped dead once a stone got in your way.

Board stopped and i didn't!

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
A close friend of mine owns a shop in OC Maryland.  They host an art show of skateboard decks every year.  My brother in law did one this year. I realize this is from 2011 but whatever....
http://goodcleanfunlife.com/2011/06/01/dimensions-annual-art-show-skate-deck-art-in-ocean-city/

Get radical,
Conor

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
hehe Rad? Not back then, Rad came along in the mid 80s...geeze memory fade, can't remember what we used - things like A1, mint and other stuff long gone.

Mind you skaters of today are far far better than we ever were, or even could dream

POSER!  lol :o ;)