Author Topic: Movie Poster Authentication Book  (Read 47891 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Movie Poster Authentication Book
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
I'm not buying much at the moment, but I always like reading about rare posters... Can you post the list and pictures in this thread?  Thanks Dan!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »
I'm not buying much at the moment, but I always like reading about rare posters... Can you post the list and pictures in this thread?  Thanks Dan!
That would make this a 'for sale' thread, unless it was done after the fact...

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
I will try to include some text after the fact about the pieces that have past through my hands for some interesting reading when I have a moment.

d
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
What does the film Hammett and Mad Max have in common?

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
Thought someone might get it but I guess not....both North American one sheets were illustrated by Bill Garland...big fan here...tried many times to get a hold of him...he does not respond to emails I guess...I spent time talking with Stout (Wizards) regarding the Mad Max artwork and it was he who led me to Garland...Stout was very helpful and a really good guy!

Just a little "bit" from my past...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
HAMMETT and MAD MAX...Couldn't figure that one out.

Could this be some rejected ESCAPE FROM NY art?

Found it here: http://www.phosphorart.com/bill-garland/

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
I don't know off hand...kinda thought this art was used Internationally but I could be wrong....

d

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
Hey Dan, were those Spiderman "Twin Towers" posters licensed reprints, as speculated below?  "Dan says he saw proofsheets with the Moviegoods logo"....

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:05:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
I assume we are talking about the "Coming Soon" printing correct?

Sorry Dave without the word "sale" in the disclaimer equals not theatrical.

Then again if you are your friends say they are well who am I to disagree?

At one point in my "Spidey" days I was contacted by someone who had offered me a uncut proof of this printing with "moviegoods" as the contract name on the top.

I asked what he wanted for it..and never heard from him again....

It's no secret Moviegoods had some contracts with some of the studios for print runs...they were huge...and there's a ton of story with that but in short I never got confirmation if this Spidey printing was indeed Moviegoods or not....

Evidence I saw says it was...

I have an original "coming soon" and when put side by side a monkey could tell the difference in printing...or for that matter Dave.

cheers

d

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »
ps-something happened with the original Spiderman posters early on....

it appears there were deals struck for outside printing of Spiderman posters with zig zag and someone else...when the WTC events happened and the advertising materials were recalled-asked to be taken down and removed-... I always found it odd that they printed a d/s reprint of the Green Goblin style but there was never a d/s 27x40 one sheet released theatrically..just a Bus Stop which I still have..also..swinging d/s was an odd one...where as the 3 MAY printing that matched that were single sided....the twin towers 3 MAY reprint which I suspect was done by zig zag but never proven came out almost right away-right after the theatrical printing surfaced in theatres...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
My concern is not how to distinguish the "mystery reprints" vs. the theatrical originals.  That's easy, just check the back. The back of the theater originals are lighter/whiter, whereas the reprints are a mirror image.

My interest is "dealer runs" - posters printed for and sold to dealers for resale.

I'm wondering if all these "mystery D/S reprints" (Spiderman, Saving Private Ryan, Dark Knight "Armed Joker," and Dark Knight "Why So Serious") are not "unauthorized bootlegs" at all but just lower-quality "dealer runs."

That Green Hornet poster does pop up occasionally, interesting the D/S is a dealer reprint:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
My concern is not how to distinguish the "mystery reprints" vs. the theatrical originals.  That's easy, just check the back. The back of the theater originals are lighter/whiter, whereas the reprints are a mirror image.

So, does this mean that the Joker DARK KNIGHT one sheet in question here (http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4329.msg77495.html#msg77495) is an original?  Your 'verdict' was "probable original." 

The Green Goblin one sheet was produced as a banner, a Zigzag DS one sheet and -- not many know this -- as a Hershey poster (27x40) giveaway.  You had to mail in for a three-poster Spidey deal, one of which is the elusive Goblin.  They are single-sided but cool, indeed.  (I know, 'cause I have them.)
 cheers

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
What does "original" really mean?  Until recently, I didn't really understand that studios sold posters directly to dealers.  Are those "originals"?  It never was displayed in theaters.  My guess now - for what it's worth - is that MovieGoods legally sold them (and now they're sold out, by the way).  Maybe the studio printed them for use in theaters and them dumped them on MovieGoods and other dealers after Heath died.  Maybe MovieGoods ordered a print run of them.  They are not the typical MovieGoods super-blurry super-cheap looking reprints, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:59:18 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »
What does "original" really mean?  Until recently, I didn't really understand that studios sold posters directly to dealers.  Are those "originals"?  It never was displayed in theaters.  My guess now - for what it's worth - is that MovieGoods legally sold them (and now they're sold out, by the way).  Maybe the studio printed them for use in theaters and them dumped them on MovieGoods and other dealers after Heath died.  Maybe MovieGoods ordered a print run of them.  They are not the typical MovieGoods super-blurry super-cheap looking reprints, that's for sure.

And they don't say Moviegoods on them, like some of the Spideys in question.
The guy I bought them from was a non-poster seller on Ebay.

I still haven't heard back from BLT studios, so I will email them again.
 cheers

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
Good one...forgot about the mail-in version...correct!!

Moviegoods most likely signed a contract with Sony for x amount of dollars...got a digital file and had them printed in Calgary would be my guess.

;0)

ps-would love to see a pic of that mail-in Goblin...don't remember actually seeing one in person.

cheers

d

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
ps-would love to see a pic of that mail-in Goblin...don't remember actually seeing one in person.

Will do, Dan.
But I must warn you.  I don't have a pic on file and it might be a few days till I can take one.  hitself

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:43:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
That's the one.  Thanks, Mel.
 cheers

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
I recently pulled out all the "minty white" inserts from my collection-any ideas who these should go to? Should I auction them? Send them to Bruce....back in the day I paid full price for them-and also have a roll of a couple of originals beside them as well...input appreciated.

d

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
Star Wars
Empire B *
Empire A
Jaws *
Alien *
Sat Night Fever
Jedi A *
Jedi B *
The Enforcer *
Clockwork Orange X
Grease
Raging Bull
Scarface
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now

Bruce

« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
Those are about the only things we WON'T auction, because it is just too likely they would eventually end up back on eBay.

I have spent a fortune sending those back to disappointed consignors.

But what gets me is that I always say, "Try to get your money back, no matter how long it has been" and the vast majority of them say, "Ill just chalk it up to experience".

Bummer

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
I recently pulled out all the "minty white" inserts from my collection-any ideas who these should go to? Should I auction them? Send them to Bruce....back in the day I paid full price for them-and also have a roll of a couple of originals beside them as well...input appreciated.

d

If I'm reading that right and you have some legits, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. I'll even pay for the shipping. ;)
Seriously, though, why not auction off the legits?

How much would it affect the value of the "minty whites" if you stamped the back (so that it did not bleed through) with the word "Reproduction" and then auctioned them as such? There's got to be people out there that want the art but can't afford authentics, no?
Witty signature goes here.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
I tried warning some of Locust's victims about these inserts but the Ebay sleazebags threatened to shut down my account, so I had to quit.

I did put up authentications for most of these inserts - probably most of the info was ultimately derived from Dan's original authentications - so at least people have a chance to avoid getting ripped off:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:15:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »
Hell I am with Mike there is someone out there that would want them. I would take them off your hands as well. Some of those pieces originals are expensive as hell.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
I decided to throw them on Fleabay and without turning this into a for sale thread ...that is where they are if anyone wants them.