Author Topic: Movie Poster Authentication Book  (Read 47816 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Movie Poster Authentication Book
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »
Beware: there is this over-sized and over-priced Zig-Zag job that appears on Ebay now and again...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Poster-ZigZag-Poster-from-Germany-27-x-37-/160769360816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e99c3b0

Charlie

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
That is one of my favorite posters as well!  By the way, has the 1/2 sheet ever been bootlegged?  These seem to pop up for sale quite often and they are almost always in very good/unused condition.  Was this one minty-whited?

There is a German commercial that I picked up @ 22"x38" that looks minty white...

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
Beware: there is this over-sized and over-priced Zig-Zag job that appears on Ebay now and again...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Poster-ZigZag-Poster-from-Germany-27-x-37-/160769360816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e99c3b0

Yeah, this one...  $99 not bad... I think I paid $6...

Going to have to measure mine; the file name has 2238 which I assumed was the measurements...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:20:24 PM by Charlie »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »
Thanks Brude... I was talking about a full sized (22x28) bootleg.  Or did the NSS/studio just print up a ton of 1/2 sheets and the theaters didn't order them?  I know the cardstock posters were phased out all together like 7 years later... maybe their use was dropping off already in the late 70s (or earlier).  

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
Thanks Brude... I was talking about a full sized (22x28) bootleg.  Or did the NSS/studio just print up a ton of 1/2 sheets and the theaters didn't order them?  I know the cardstock posters were phased out all together like 7 years later... maybe their use was dropping off already in the late 70s (or earlier).  

That's what I was lead to believe - that their use had been in steady decline throughout the '70s.  My never-used copy was walked out of a NSS branch several years later.

It was a staggered drop-off - some sizes disappeared earlier than others...

The last insert was '86 (Youngblood?).  I thought that Jedi was the final Half...

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
I thought the last 14x36 insert released was "9 1/2 weeks" but I could be wrong....would have to double check the release dates for that and Youngblood...

"Is it possible that 'funky text' posters were distributed on the East Coast while '-0' printings were used in the West?"

Could be...just curious....what was it that made you believe otherwise?
I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

"Is it possible that 'funky text' posters were distributed on the East Coast while '-0' printings were used in the West?"

Personal experience.
Here is the post/thread:
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,237.msg67684.html#msg67684

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
I thought the last 14x36 insert released was "9 1/2 weeks" but I could be wrong....would have to double check the release dates for that and Youngblood...

Looks like 9 1/2 Weeks is the winner by just three weeks.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
Personal experience.
Here is the post/thread:
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,237.msg67684.html#msg67684

If what he says is true it would seem logical your "east coast vs west coast" sounds legit to me....

The certain truth...who knows...I was young back then and remember a time when people lined up around the block to go see a film and waited over an hour to see the film...sometimes missing performances...last time I stood in line around the block was E.T. at the Park theatre here in Vancouver...1982.

I do remember hearing about the line-ups...house records...we didn't get the film here until June or July...I would have to check my binders.

I don't remember which printings were here in town at the time.

I wonder.....wonder if you found the poster that was issued/printed right before Star Wars (may have been Raggedy Ann & Andy) and see what kind of paper stock was used for the run and compare it? Grasping at straws but I really don't know how one would go about finding out...

If the funky text version was printed by itself and indeed the first printing how does one explain the -0 printing as second (going back to the teaser b which was printed BEFORE the funky text?

I personally like the story about 1 being printed in the east and 1 for the west...it would make the most sense to me.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
If the funky text version was printed by itself and indeed the first printing how does one explain the -0 printing as second (going back to the teaser b which was printed BEFORE the funky text?

That's a real good question, Dan.
I do have an original GAU B teaser that I will pull to check the coding. I did not acquire this locally as the others, but from a dealer in MA back in late 1977.
Thanks for your input, Dan!
 cheers

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
Anytime...

Hey ....I got one for you guys....

Something I have been unable to get a straight answer on ....one that remains unsolved...

Return of The Jedi style B with white lettering for the title instead of silver.....

anyone have any info about these?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
Anytime...

Hey ....I got one for you guys....

Something I have been unable to get a straight answer on ....one that remains unsolved...

Return of The Jedi style B with white lettering for the title instead of silver.....

anyone have any info about these?

I read that these were made during the initial run of the posters, shortly after the printers proof, but the studio didn't like the brightness of the lettering and changed it to the silver. Seems to be a fairly rare poster in comparison.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
That's what I heard as well...and it does match with a few things on my end.

From the printings I have it does seem to have been printed in 1983....

Just kind of a rare thing I guess...never seen an nss printing..which again matches the story.

I have an uncut printing of the white lettered version from the printer that has another poster printed on the back from 1983.

I have never seen a folded one for sale only rolled studio issued printings....

thank you for your input...much appreciated!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
Another poster printed on the back??? Is that a common occurrence with proofs?

That brings up an interesting question I just thought of...

If a poster has a unique (or somewhat rare) "oops" due to an error in the printing process, how does that effect the value or collectibility?

I ask because years ago I used to collect coins. Many coins, especially the older ones, would have minting errors. In some cases they were somewhat unique, though in other cases they would print off many with the same "flaw". Maybe something fell on the plate or caused them to print two obverses or reverses on the same coin, etc. This created different types for a given year - and there could be dozens. The rarer the type, in most cases the more valuable it was.

I believe mistake stamps also have the same appeal.

Is there a similar thing with posters?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
I like Dan called it uncut.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:58 AM »
I like Dan called it uncut.

Me too.  thumbup

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
Another poster printed on the back??? Is that a common occurrence with proofs?

"Somewhat in the older days-I do not own any current titles since the mid 80's where they printed on the front and back".

If a poster has a unique (or somewhat rare) "oops" due to an error in the printing process, how does that effect the value or collectibility?

"In my opinion...it depends on the error-Ret Of The Jedi B with white text is a error in which the value of the poster appears to be higher than that of the silver text printing...where as some of the 30x40's that have ink running down the side (common) not so much."

I ask because years ago I used to collect coins. Many coins, especially the older ones, would have minting errors. In some cases they were somewhat unique, though in other cases they would print off many with the same "flaw". Maybe something fell on the plate or caused them to print two obverses or reverses on the same coin, etc. This created different types for a given year - and there could be dozens. The rarer the type, in most cases the more valuable it was.

I believe mistake stamps also have the same appeal.

Is there a similar thing with posters?

In my opinion...not so much...both stamps and coins were printed to be "perfect" so when mistakes happened it was "rare"...well...more so than a movie poster...movie posters (in the past) were not printed to be collected...stamps and coins were.

I have a printer proof (yes I use that term) for The Muppet Movie where only some of the art is printed but no credits which is "rare" but as for increase value? That all depends on supply and demand and what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have some "test proofs" of Spiderman where they were printed on thick flat paper stock that have notes from the printer as well as stickers on the back where the studio signed off on them...again..not printed to be collected...writing all over the artwork...depends on who would want something like this and what it means to them financially...others could care less...

It depends on how interested the "collector" is in the art/title...and interest in the printing process and how movie posters are/were created.

ps-just because it is an uncut movie poster (sometimes referred to as a printer proof) does not mean it is an original! I own a uncut Spiderman that is a reprint/bootleg. When sellers state this in their ads it is very misleading.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Excellent analysis of the uncut and/or printer's proof dealio, Dan.  thumbup
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:26:47 PM by NeoLoco »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »
Hey, Lt. Dan, OT but how 'bout a little advance warning on this forum for your stuff?

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
I'm looking to get myself a lighted movie poster display and have a "bee in my....".

sorry...

With that being said has anyone used LED Panel backlit movie poster display cases for displaying lenticular movie posters?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
Dan, do you any additional information on the "Canadian" one sheet for LA Confidential?

I started a topic on the subject here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3323.0.html

Was it used only in Canada?  Obviously there is a Polish version too. I'm guessing it was used for conservative countries that didn't want the risque version of Basinger.

Somebody from the ad agency sent me a mock-up of that poster with various notes. It was clearly labeled "International Sheet #2."  

I finally found one after years of looking. The seller originally found it in a poster shop in LA.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:40:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
L.A. Confidential was re-released in Canada Friday Feb 14th 1998 after the Academy Awards were announced-9 nominations to be exact.

The newspaper advertising used basically the same layout with Kim with her hood on...and awards announced.

This re-release lasted until about the end of March.

The original release opened here Sept 19th and used the Kim with the hood on...and used Guy and Russell standing with guns in the background.

so what?

So...it means the material used to create the re-issue one sheet was around when the film was first released.

With that being said the poster may have been printed at the time of it's first release or "just before"...(poss Toronto Film Festival)

When WB reissued the film after AA noms were out you would think they would have included it on the one sheet if it were a new printing?

I don't know for sure...but that it my opinion....

"International #2"....interesting...yes i have see the art used for foreign marketing...and yes it was the #2 campaign...the #1 campaign was almost the same as the video poster...if memory serves me correct..

great movie by the way...and should have won best picture in my opinion...

WB used the review one sheet for the original wide opening and I can understand why...word of mouth...but in my opinion...should have used this poster...and who knows...perhaps at one time they were going to?

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
ps-at the time...The poster was only known for being released in Canada only....the U.S. had a globes printing as it's counter.

They were indeed displayed here in town at theatres!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Thanks for info - by chance I put them all together this month (except the awards poster - can't find my copy). 

Upper left - international 2
Upper right - international 1 - folded - I heard a greedy collector on this board has THREE rolled copies but won't share :)
Lower left - US theater
Lower right - US video

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:45:52 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm looking to get myself a lighted movie poster display and have a "bee in my....".

sorry...

With that being said has anyone used LED Panel backlit movie poster display cases for displaying lenticular movie posters?

I don't think that would work.  The lenticulars I have seen tend to have a thicker base image, more like that used on 30x40s and I don't think that would allow light through.

I put 50' of led rope light into my lightbox and it is marginal.  FWIW, there is a thread going here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1392444
He is using the LED strip lighting, which has a higher density and no surrounding jacket.  The results are so good that I am considering converting mine over.
-Jay-