Author Topic: Movie Poster Authentication Book  (Read 47895 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Movie Poster Authentication Book
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
Any additional info on this would be great Dan (or others).

+1

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »
Scarface teaser with Pacino's face pictured.

I had one I saved from when the film was released....I then found a seller on Ebay selling them for $20 each about 5 years ago...I couldn't resist...

When comparing the two...they were hard to tell apart...until I saw some white text on the bottom right corner edge (when looking at the poster).

perhaps someone can dig out their poster and see if you can take a pic and post it here..

The copy I got for $20 did not have this text...otherwise...if you bought one and didn't know what a known original looked like or felt like or how the colours are supposed to look....you wouldn't second guess it....

In my best Keanu impression I said to myself "whoaaa"....

I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »

I have a mint folded one, here is the teeny tiny text on the lower right side.

Are you certain yours is "fake" just because it is missing that text? Or is there something else about it that screams "fake". The real ones are undersized. What are the exact dimensions of yours? I see 5 on ebay right now. Only two look fishy. One from tloce and one from someone else. Could it possibly be a different authorized printing? Is it rolled or folded? Maybe a studio issue? A wilding? I'm not saying it is real, just wondering how you are certain it isn't.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
Thanks for posting Dan, and as Dave said, more info would be great if you have it.  Frankly, I'm just glad the poster with the xmas tagline is real as that is the one I own :)

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
I see Movieposterkings is still selling them at $20 a pop as a REPRINT....stock up and sell them as originals.

catch ya later slater...

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
re: SCARFACE PHOTO ADVANCE

I see you are still sore after all these years dan. Please just get over it and stop with the bs replies. All I'm asking you to do is to provide evidence. Like it or not we are on the same team. (I can hear the smart alecky comments already....."I'm not on his team!".

We are trying to get to the bottom of this, stop being a hindrance. Why don't you answer any of these questions I asked? They are valid questions.

"Are you certain yours is "fake" just because it is missing that text? Or is there something else about it that screams "fake". The real ones are undersized. What are the exact dimensions of yours? I see 5 on ebay right now. Only two look fishy. One from tloce and one from someone else. Could it possibly be a different authorized printing? Is it rolled or folded? Maybe a studio issue? A wilding? I'm not saying it is real, just wondering how you are certain it isn't."

Did you buy yours from movieposterkings, or from someone else? if you bought yours from someone else, how can you be sure yours is the same reproduction as movie posterkings?

I don't know movieposterkings, I don't think I've ever bought anything from them (not that I'm aware of). They are selling their reproduction correctly described as a reproduction.

Without you providing detailed information on the one you have, there is no evidence that this poster has been widely bootlegged, like you hinted at in your post. Yes, it has been copied (like thousands of other posters have been), but I would bet that the copies are easy to spot. I would love to see more details on the one you have, but I doubt that will happen since you have left the hobby. You are obviously not obligated to clarify your assertions, but it would be the right thing to do after dropping a bomb like that.

If you do change your mind and decide to elaborate, I thank you in advance.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
I bought it from Movieposterkings years ago...he sold it as a reprint...which is fine.

I don't have it with me..my posters are in storage..

I remember it being exactly like the known original...but better colour...almost exactly the same size...

the only way I could REALLY tell them apart was the white text...otherwise damn near perfect...

the only other thing I remember is it was printed differently...almost silkscreened....

otherwise they were a very close match...

I wasn't born yesterday...I know what I'm doing when I look over a poster Dave...

been doing it since I was  7 years old!  seriously!

Posters are a distant 5th these days in my life...

want to know more?

go buy one from MoviePosterKings...waste your money like I did...

or better yet...buy 10 at 20 for 200 then claim they are part of a diff print run and sell them for 200 each...

have a great weekend...I'm going to enjoy father's day with my son!

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
ps...yup...not on your team...I never had a motive for helping people.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »
(is it fathers day?)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
(is it fathers day?)

This Sunday is Father's Day here in the States.
Any other countries celebrate this Hallmark holiday?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
we do, but don't THINK its tomorrow, better check or my Daddy will cry.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »
looks like danny boy woke on the wrong side of bed this morning  eyeroll

thank you for your clarification.

you bought a reprint correctly advertised as a reprint and the quality is SO good that you think people will mistake them for an original.

NEWSFLASH.......there are hundreds of titles from the past 40 years that have excellent quality reprints. You know this. Why you chose to single out the Scarface photo advance I'll never know.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
This Sunday is Father's Day here in the States.
Any other countries celebrate this Hallmark holiday?

Down here too. Hope the little girls get me something nice  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
Down here too. Hope the little girls get me something nice  ;)

Maybe they'll be getting you something rare...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
Oh, that one sheet would be great  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Sonis.....as far back as I remember-the one sheets were reprints-no? Or did they print one sheets for international use? Bruce has a Titanic intl up for auction now and I would like to ask if anyone knows if SONIS printed original one sheets for international use-in my experience they only printed large format originals not one sheet size....anyone have more info?

d

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
According to LEARN ABOUT MOVIE POSTERS

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=14011

Does anyone agree or disagree with his findings?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
According to LEARN ABOUT MOVIE POSTERS

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=14011

Does anyone agree or disagree with his findings?

Pretty sure the Sonis is 39" I own the non-Sonis original and it is 40"

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
a quote from ED at LAMP

"Now let's see if I can help a little..

Sonis is a service company that started in 1965 and does what ever the film company needs. If they need warehousing, they provide the storage, if they need distribution, etc, etc. They have slowly expanded until they have become almost like a French version of NSS. The film company brings the job to them and they are set up to handle about everything dealing with assessories for them.

By contract, if the film company wants their posters to be out on the market, they allow Sonis to wholesale them to shops. If they don't, Sonis can't release them. This is what drives collectors nuts.... it breaks OUR 'categorized conception' of a strict film poster. So this makes them a collectors nightmare!

But in many ways, it's a slight variation from what the US studios have done for years. They sell their posters through their stores and online.... and nobody thinks twice about it. Some even sell their older posters.

For about 2 years Warner Brothers tried to cut costs on posters for their video operation, so they issued their theater posters straight to the video stores. Many distributors drop off posters that wind up in collectors shops or dealers selling them online.

It just shakes up 'our' concept of a strict theater poster. But when it boils down to it, it's the same poster, printed by the same printer and from the same batch that was put into the theaters. Where do you draw the line????

What is the difference in the extra posters that are printed that go to the French shops, than the US printer that prints up a couple of extra boxes and sells them out the back door to someone to help make up for the low ball printing costs that they had to give to get the job from the studio. (and this happens WAY more than you think, I know, I've bought hundreds of boxes over the years). How could you tell the difference anyway?

Sonis puts their logo on it, there's nothing 'sneaky' going on. The concern of the hobby should be the people that take a poster and have it printed by some printer and then try to fraudulently pass it off as a poster released by the film company as part of their promotion.

I hope this helps and not cause more confusion,
ed "

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
I saw this on Bruce's auction page for ANNIE HALL and never knew this?

Note that this movie was first released with the tagline, "A nervous romance.". Apparently, this made some United Artists executives nervous, for they quickly issued a second version with the new tagline, "A new comedy." (not very original, but not a "problem"). The one-sheets have an "R" next to the NSS number, but it does not mean "re-release", but rather "revised". THIS poster is from the very first release of this classic comedy, the one with the "A nervous romance." tagline. Also note that this poster has never been machine folded! Most insert posters were folded twice horizontally right off of the printing press. It is very difficult to find an unfolded example of most insert posters, especially from before 1970!

Can anyone confirm this? How did you come to learn this Bruce? news to me....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »
Cool story.  Of course the tagline "A Nervous Romance" is vastly superior to "A New Comedy."

Bruce

« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
Someone who seemed to know what they were talking about e-mailed us that story, and it has been on all of those revised one-sheets since then (years ago) and you are the first to ever comment on it. It seems like you should be able to confirm or deny it, and if you do, please let us know. Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
I assume this is the person who told you  http://flicksfilmposters.co.uk/page22.htm

Here's what I know...

Annie Hall opened in New York Wednesday April 20th 1977 in 7 Theatres...the newspaper ad had the tag line "A NEW COMEDY"....

In Vancouver we sneaked the print April 23rd as did Toronto the same night...no details about the film were released including the title of the film..ps UA sneaked it with NETWORK at the time....it didn't open wide until April 29th....with ads showing "A NERVOUS ROMANCE"....It ran here at the brand new Capitol 6 Theatre...they continued to use the same advertising campaign until July 22 when it was changed to a photo-style of Allen and Keaton...no tag line....there was an ad run on JULY 23RD which went back to the original campaign using NERVOUS....ANNIE HALL ran here until December 22 1977 a day after Goodbye Girl opened...never went to NEW COMEDY ...FAST FORWARD TO THURSDAY APRIL 6 1978...newspaper ads show NERVOUS ROMANCE campaign on the Wednesday leading up....THURSDAY opening day changed back to photo-style with Allen and Keaton with ACADEMY AWARD ANNOUNCEMENTS...they toggle between the two campaigns until Friday JUNE 30TH 1978 when it FINALLY came off the Fine Arts Theatre (replaced by Goodbye Girl)....still using the NERVOUS campaign....so...what does all this mean?

WELL....THE NEW COMEDY campaign was (AT LEAST MADE) at the time of it's original NEW YORK RELEASE....HOWEVER...when it was released in other places AFTER the campaign changed to NERVOUS ROMANCE and was always used in PRINT ADVERTISING....so IF UNITED ARTISTS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE TAG LINE YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE AT LEAST CHANGED ALL PRINT ADVERTISING AS IT WAS THE CHEAPEST THING TO DO......

All inserts-half sheets I have seen use the NERVOUS tag...so why the "R" on the NEW COMEDY then?

I don't have an answer for that-at least not one that makes sense unless they were done for the ACADEMY AWARD reissue and never used??????  Yes I know there were newspaper ads with that tag for NEW YORK but if they printed one sheets for that release I doubt very much they would have stuck an R in the corner.....

Just some info I thought to pass along.....not that I know anything about movie posters or ad campaigns  ;0)

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
Doubt anyone will know what I'm talking about but I am always on the lookout for 3 posters.....1 is a DOLBY DIGITAL TRAIN poster..came out around 1992 for DD promo in theatres...saw one once...and that was it........2 a FAMOUS PLAYERS 27x40/1 poster..basically a promo poster for the theatre chain..saw a couple of them..long time ago....and lastly...GREMLINS...need a character poster 27x41 for the OLYMPICS...I have the other 2....lmk

Dan

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »
I know there are a few of you guys out there that throw me an email looking for the "rare stuff" every once in awhile and I thought of you the other day..

I was digging in my stash last week for a poster I wanted to double check and ended up pulling out a few RARE PIECES I thought I could part with-if you would like a list and some pictures it will be first come first serve-hope to have the pictures sorted out Tuesday and sending out the list with pictures Wednesday...send me an email at danrickard@hotmail.com.

These represent what I have found in the last 15 years of hunting for posters on the internet so I know what exactly what "rare" really means.

peace out...

d